Multieffect advice ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Multieffect advice ?

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi,

As I let my main rig in the rehearsal place, I need to complete my second setup at home.
I have a good amps, a midi foot controller, I just need to have a multi effect to be inserted in an effect loop. No floor effect, I don't like them.

I'm not really up to date on multi effects.

Are they some alternative, or good discontinued rack effects below 200 euros? I'm looking for good reverbs, delay, mod, nothing extravagant.
I keep an eye on finding a second TC G Sharp, or a G Major, or any similar (does someone knows about Boss GX700 ?)

Any advise welcome. :wink:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Multieffect advice ?

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 pm

MULTIEFFECTS??? EWWWWWW!!!

You have a few options.

Boss GT series.
Line6 POD or M series.
Strymon makes top tier multi effects units.
Source audio also makes some decent units.
Zoom still makes multi effects units. Back in the day they were my go-to brand for this.

I'm not up to date on this either as I ditched my all in one effects boxes a LONG time ago. I am a Strymon user however. I have one unit for delays (timeline), and one unit for reverbs (bigsky). I had the modulation box at one time (mobius) but sold it off.

What sort of effects are you looking for? Do you also want distortions and such things? or just modulation/time effects?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Distortions com from the amp only. I'm looking for decent reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, trem. All with midi control.
I come from stompbox, and now I find that a midi controller is the best for me, I'm not very good at tap dancing :mrgreen:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm

I have the G-System from TC Electronics, which has come down quite a bit in price compared to when I bought mine. It does everything with studio quality effects - and you can include other pedals in the loops and even program it to channel switch your amp. It's probably too powerful for just having a home setup, but it's the real deal.

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:35 pm

I run the G Major 2 setup and like it very well. Does everything I need and more!
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:07 pm

If you are rich with diamonds I recommend the Strymon big three. Timeline, BigSky, Mobius. If not, although I'm a Line6 hater, I have heard really good things about their M series. Few people around here use them. I'm sure you can find a review.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 pm

I can't afford it, but I would like a G system......

Though I suspect that would kill me inside somewhat as it would seriously reduce the number of pedals I could build in the future...... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:13 am

I hate everything about Line6's amp modeling and distortions, but those M5/9/13 boxes have excellent modulation, delay, and reverb on them. Easily the best bang for your buck I can think of. I mean, the delay section is basically DL4, which used to be the king of digital delay stompboxes. Check out Shnobel's delay, modulation, and reverb section demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cmhwn_MJKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfBorwRasI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir36PgcR5WY
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:56 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:I can't afford it, but I would like a G system......

Though I suspect that would kill me inside somewhat as it would seriously reduce the number of pedals I could build in the future...... :lol:
i've been wondering alot about those g systems.

i just sold an old digitech rp 12. the distortion/overdrive was horrible on them but they did have some good delays, chorus and reverbs. at least i think they did.

i've actually been trying to get rid of multi effects or pedals in general. though i do have an interest in making a few myself.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 am

If you're looking for something small and chorus is all the mod you need, have a look at the Zoom 70CDR. It's in stompbox format and does chorus, delay and reverb. They got very good reviews.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:08 am

On many of the Zoom units you can use an expression pedal for the delay effect/dry mix, you can add minimum and maximum levels.

But whatever you get, be prepared to tweak the presets and make your own patches, the presets are often not that good, or may not fit your sound.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:25 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:I can't afford it, but I would like a G system......

Well, there are loops you can use to plug in and call up pedals through the G-System

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 am

bclaire wrote:I have the G-System from TC Electronics, which has come down quite a bit in price compared to when I bought mine. It does everything with studio quality effects - and you can include other pedals in the loops and even program it to channel switch your amp. It's probably too powerful for just having a home setup, but it's the real deal.
I'd really like to own one. The G System include a relay switch to control the amp channel, so, no more need of a midi foot controller.
Going further in my search, I've found that the G Major now have this feature too.

The more I think about, more I'm tempted to stay with TC.
Time to browse used gear listing now :)

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:27 am

snickerpuss wrote:I hate everything about Line6's amp modeling and distortions, but those M5/9/13 boxes have excellent modulation, delay, and reverb on them. Easily the best bang for your buck I can think of. I mean, the delay section is basically DL4, which used to be the king of digital delay stompboxes. Check out Shnobel's delay, modulation, and reverb section demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cmhwn_MJKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfBorwRasI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir36PgcR5WY
I've tried one by myself, forget about it. Amp tone sucker, and add lots of hush. I've hated this units!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:14 am

Me again :mrgreen:

I've read only good review about the Rocktron Intellifex. And those can be found below 200$. Any though about?