so i redid my peavey 4x12.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

caldurham
Rocker

so i redid my peavey 4x12.

Post by caldurham » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:40 am

so i redid my peavey celestion loaded 4x12. i was going to replace all the hardware and polish the poly finish but after seeing the darkness of the stain on the plywood i decided to keep the old hardware rust and all plus the cab has visible marks in the plywood from abuse over the years. the finish is a satin poly and i like the texture it has which is almost unnoticeable in the pics. i think it looks great. :)

and i'm still not done. i want to replace the black mesh cloth with either wicker grill if i can find the width or with some kind of cane grill cloth. and i have to put tigger back on. anyways ....

so here is a shot of the 4x12 with tolex

and now after i removed the tolex and redid the cab
money shot of the g12k 85s

also here shortly that little red 60watt guitar research amp is going to get the same treatment. i just hope it's not made from particle board ..... if so i'll make a new plywood case for it.

Lucian

Re: so i redid my peavey 4x12.

Post by Lucian » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Looks good! I really like the stained wood look, just like the Emperor or Verellen cabs.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Great job and those GK 85's RULE !!!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:05 pm

What kind of wood did you use? I have a WGSV30 sitting in my shop waiting for a cab. The last one I built was finished in Tolex, and I would like to avoid that in the future :)

Plus natural wood looks so much classier.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:41 pm

thanks guys. i know the pics suck. and when i replace the mesh i'll put up a picture of that as well.
Boy_Narf wrote:What kind of wood did you use? I have a WGSV30 sitting in my shop waiting for a cab. The last one I built was finished in Tolex, and I would like to avoid that in the future :)

it's the original cab plywood. i've had this cab forever, i found it at a little hole in the wall music store and paid $150 for it used. when i found out later it came loaded with the g12k 85's i knew i had struck gold. it took me about an hour to get the tolex off and another 2 - 3 hours with a belt sander to get all the tolex glue off. but regardless i am pretty sure it's birch plywood.

my little micro terror sounds amazing through it. and i just today bought a randall rd1 so i've got that to look forward to tonight. :)

and yeah i agree; classier is how it looks. when i was younger i wouldn't be caught dead with something like this. now i am all about seeing wood grain. some of the wood finish mesa's i've seen are gorgeous.

i showed it to a friend at work whom plays as well and he wanted to buy it. i said "NO!"
i wish i could get better pics with this camera.

and how do you like the wgs v30? or have you had it in anything yet? i've actually watched a few v30 vs wgsv30 shoot out vids and have been interested in obtaining a few myself.

when i get my bonus in december i plan on making a 2x12 with either a natural wood stain or a blow torch stain. gonna load it with celestions tho i haven't decided which ones yet.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:What kind of wood did you use? I have a WGSV30 sitting in my shop waiting for a cab. The last one I built was finished in Tolex, and I would like to avoid that in the future :)

It is the original plywood! :wink:

Andy.
Edit: Oops, just beaten to it by the owner! :lol:
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:24 am

I think burlap would be a nice choice for the grill cloth. You can even get it in Charlie Brown!

http://www.amazon.com/E-E-Schenck-Print ... ted+burlap

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:40 am

Randy Bass wrote:I think burlap would be a nice choice for the grill cloth. You can even get it in Charlie Brown!

lol burlap is exactly what i am planning on using for grill cloth when i redo my lil guitar research t60r combo. in fact im going to use one of those old vintage burlap hemp/marijuana bags. another cool thing about burlap is that you can print on it. too bad most printers don't have the width you need to make a burlap print wide enough for a 1x12 or something.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Yea I have the WGS V30 in the following cab:

It sounds dang good IMO! Big sound and smoother than a V30 for sure, but It might have trouble cutting through a mix as it doesn't have the famous mid spike. I've never tried it live sorry.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 pm

ok so i finally finished installing the wicker/cane mesh grill on my 4x12. i think it turned out good though the pictures do not do it justice.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:59 pm

That does look good. Bit of a 'Custom Mesa Boogie' sort of thing going on - good job!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:11 am

a.hun wrote:That does look good. Bit of a 'Custom Mesa Boogie' sort of thing going on - good job!

Andy.

Very boogie indeed. Looks great
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:21 pm

thanks guys. i did get inspiration from the boogie cabs and some older no names custom cabs i have seen. and i am planning on making some cabs from scratch.