NAD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

NAD

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 pm

I´ve been on a quest for an amp for a while now. I sold my Fargen Mini Plex (great sounding amp, just not enough power for live situations) and was initially considering a JVM410 or a rack mounted JMP1. Tried the JVM, didnt do anything for me. Tried a DSL40c as well, it surprised me (but only the classic channel set on crunch).

I was betwenn the DSL40c and a Blackstar HT60 Stage (I wanted a combo, so none of the Orange amps I am interested in - OR100 and OR50), but came accross a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c for a very good price (virtually the same as the DSL and the Blackstar). Did some research and went for it.

The guy brought it to me this morning. Was able to play around for about ten minutes, I enjoyed it! Excited about the amp, I am playing it tonight at rehearsal.

Two concerns though: might be the noise coming from the street, but the amp did not seem to be as loud as I though it would be. It seems that my Rocker 30 is louder than it, but I´ll wait to get to rehearsal to confirm this.

Another thing: the guy had the impedance set to 4ohms. However, I checked the manual and it says that, if no external speakers are connected, the amp should run in 8ohms. Should I be concerned?

I am taking to an amp tech this weekend, but the amp is functioning well. Tried all the knobs and everything, seemed preety solid. The tubes are old, have some dirt on them, might retube it as well. And when the guy turned the amp on, the speaker jack was not connected (!!!!!), he said that probably his kid disconnected it. One more reason for a trip to the tech.

But, bottom line is, the amp seems to be working fine. Sounds great (hope to confirm this at band leves). Really happy about it, specially considering the price I paid for it.

Cheers!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: NAD

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm

If you have a multimeter you could disconnect the speaker jack from the amp and measure across the tip and sleeve to confirm the speaker impedance fitted in there. Of course with the amp switched off... for anyone else reading :)

Congrats on your NAD!
Paul.

LeeC

Post by LeeC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Congratulations on the amp. I have the VM 100W head and i like it, especially with a tubescreamer in front. It's a great, and I think under appreciated, amp that covers a lot of ground. Excels at "classic rock" and with a big muff does stoner/doom pretty well too. Lots of tonal options to be had out of the body and detail controls if you have the patience to experiment.
Orange Thunderverb 50| Marshall Vintage Modern 2466|Marshall JCM900|Matamp GT1|Zilla studio pro 2x12 (v30s)|Matamp retro vertical 2x12 (hot100s)|Gibson Les Paul,SGs,Firebird VII; Fender Telecaster,Jazzmaster,Stratocaster

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Nice purchase ....For me the vintage modern is one of the best sounding amps in the Marshall lineup - much nicer than the DSL or blackstar imo. It's got a reputation for not being that loud though but maybe new valves will revitalise it ....although I'm not surprised the R30 is louder its an incredibly loud 30 watt Amp (on the dirty channel at least). Enjoy.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks guys. I had the opportunity to play it for while tonight, and was able to come up with some very cool tones. Some initial thoughts:

- the volume jump between the two dynamic ranges is huge. I may be able to use this thing as a two channel amp if I stick a clean boost in LDR, to even the volumes.

- the amp is certainly not as loud as I thought it would be. The Rocker 30 through the PPC212OB is defintely louder (at least using in the apartment and with the Suhr Reactive Load). I think a great deal of this is due to the speakers in the VM2266c in comparison with the V30s in the Orange cab.

- it seems that I have the Orange tone in my head now... It took a while to get used to the Marshall tones. It sounds great, but very different of what I am used to with the Rocker 30.

I have a gig tomorrow, and will use the Vintage Modern in a live situation. It is a 1 hour performance with basically 80s hard rock, and I am sure the amp will be fantastic. Let you guys know.

Oohh, and pics, or it didnt happen.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:44 am

Problem identified,... I knew there had to be something wrong... The tubes are not KT66, they seem to be 6550, and pretty screwed up... Already contacted the guy that sold me to fix the issue... First problem I have with buying used gear...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

LeeC

Post by LeeC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:37 pm

It's not really a two channel amp. It's more like an amp with 2 unique modes (i think it's designer referred to the VM as a 1.5 channel amp). There is a ton of stuff on the Marshall forums about this misconception and various ways of dealing with the volume jump between the dynamic ranges and how to use boosts and eq pedals if you need an increase in volume for solos etc. It was designed to work very well with your guitars volume and tone controls though and although it might require some changes to your playing style (it did mine to start with), you soon get used to the dynamic relationship between the amp and guitar. I've found that it really is a "love or hate it" type of amp for a lot of people.

I don't think the LDR will be anywhere near as loud as your rocker, but the HDR should get you somewhere near it when pushed. Also, using the right valves in it and V30s should help.

Good luck with the gig.
Orange Thunderverb 50| Marshall Vintage Modern 2466|Marshall JCM900|Matamp GT1|Zilla studio pro 2x12 (v30s)|Matamp retro vertical 2x12 (hot100s)|Gibson Les Paul,SGs,Firebird VII; Fender Telecaster,Jazzmaster,Stratocaster

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:39 pm

I remember trying one of those once - and simultaneously thinking that it was a very nice amp and that I would have no use for it.

I still don't exclude the possibility of owning one at some point, that's really the only way to find out if it will fit your style.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute