Micro Dark

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

caldurham
Rocker

Re: Micro Dark

Post by caldurham » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:27 am

i love my micro terror. i think it sounds amazing for what it is. it was bought on a whim as a bedroom practice amp. but i fell in love with it whilst my woman started to loathe it almost immediately.

i mainly play metal (and i've owned a few hi gain monsters in my time) and my micro terror does metal fine! i have a hard time seeing how some people say it won't do metal.

anyways micro dark? yes please!

i do wonder why they made the dark ppc108 with only one input jack as opposed to the parallel inputs on the orange ppc108s.
Last edited by caldurham on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:55 am

Very smooth PR campaign, can't fault Orange for that. Bunch of demos from various dealers, all came out the same day. They must have been planning this for a while. And it wasn't hyped, they went straight for the demos.

There is the opposite, not in guitar stuff, but with electronic music gear: Akai: constant delays and some bad ideas, Roland: crazy hype and "leaking" product details in sneaky manners, Yamaha: not as bad as the others, but somewhat over-hyping the products.

One thing that does bug me: several of the videos said there is more mids with the shape knob all the way to the left, and more scooped all the way to the right. It seems to me the other way around: all the way to the left it's scooped, all the way to the right it's just midrange and a bit of highs with no bass.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:06 pm

so i went to sam ash today.
i tried out the micro dark. i played it through a ppc112, a ppc212 and a crpro412. they didn't have any ppc412s to try it out with. i played a few different style guitars through it, some passive and some active.

without saying it is an amazing little amp ........... with loads more gain than the regular micro terror. i'd say orange hit a home run with this little monster. metal guys are gonna love it. needless to say i am most definitely getting one.

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:54 am

I was at Sweetwater Sound's Gearfest back in the summer and I was going to buy a Micro Terror. The guy that was repping Orange asked what kind of music I played and I responded "mostly metal". He suggested that I should wait and that Orange was coming out with something I would like better. He wouldn't say what it was but clearly the MD is what he was talking about.

While I think the MD is very cool, I got bit by the Orange bug badly and bought a Jim Root #4 Terror Head and a new Rockerverb 100 MK III. The #4 head is very nice for a portable head. Wish I could justify getting a MD but I will save my money for other things!
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm

caldurham wrote:i mainly play metal (and i've owned a few hi gain monsters in my time) and my micro terror does metal fine! i have a hard time seeing how some people say it won't do metal.

i do wonder why they made the dark ppc108 with only one input jack as opposed to the parallel inputs on the orange ppc108s.
I just got an awesome metal sound with my Micro Terror today: plugged in a Rocktron Zombie and a multi-band eq after. Before I could only get a good doom sound with fuzz.

I've tried a Nano Metal Muff by itself before and it didn't sound good: either it needed a scoop, or it scooped too much with the switch on.

The Micro Dark is 8 ohm minimum, as opposed to 4 ohms for the Micro Terror, and those cabs are 8 ohm, that's probably why. Actually they all have only one input now according to the website pics, the orange ones as well.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:04 am

megalithic wrote:
caldurham wrote:i mainly play metal (and i've owned a few hi gain monsters in my time) and my micro terror does metal fine! i have a hard time seeing how some people say it won't do metal.

I just got an awesome metal sound with my Micro Terror today: plugged in a Rocktron Zombie and a multi-band eq after. Before I could only get a good doom sound with fuzz.

I've tried a Nano Metal Muff by itself before and it didn't sound good: either it needed a scoop, or it scooped too much with the switch on.

The Micro Dark is 8 ohm minimum, as opposed to 4 ohms for the Micro Terror, and those cabs are 8 ohm, that's probably why. Actually they all have only one input now according to the website pics, the orange ones as well.

yeah if i would have paid attention i would have caught the change from 4 ohm minimum to 8 ohm minimum. that kind of sucks as i enjoy daisy chaining from one of my ppc108s into my 4x12 with my micro.

i get great metal tone running straight into my micro terror. no pedals whatsoever. but i also run active pups on my main guitars except my strat so that may be why. active pups and a crunched amp always go good together for me. but now you know i am on the dark side lol.

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Post by orangebassman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm lazy (and a bass player) so I'll ask this here: Do any of the other guitar terror heads have an effects loop? I think it's crazy that the bass terrors and this super tiny micro terror have effects loop but the regular guitar terrors, who's users would be the likeliest to need an effects loop, don't have one.
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 pm

The Dark Terror, OR15, and JR #4 Terror have an effects loop. I think it's only the original Tiny Terror and Dual Terror that lack an effects loop.