Jondog
Duke of Orange

Micro Dark

Post by Jondog » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: Micro Dark

Post by MikeD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Looks interesting. I´ve been looking for something to have as a back up incase the RV fails mid-gig... and something just for home. It´s tiny and has an fx-loop...can´t wait to give it a try!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

RobD

Post by RobD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Think I'll definitely be getting one of these...if only because it will look so damn cute sat next to my Micro Terror. The FX loop is a bit of an added bonus!

PS Third post from long time lurker...hello all!
OR 15
PPC112
Micro Terror
PPC108

And a Les Paul Standard....

heaven.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Surprised TBH. I had the MT for a while and it sounded awful. Never really understood the appeal of these amps. I got it for a novelty, they are dang cute that's for sure. Now I know it's only a $99-149 head, but I think at that price point I would honestly prefer a modelling solution.

The cab sim in this demo sounds horrible as well. Nice of them to include it though. I initially picked up the MT for headphone jamming, but it sounded god awful.

Sold it about a year ago to an eager buyer. Glad he was happy hah.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Surprised TBH. I had the MT for a while and it sounded awful. Never really understood the appeal of these amps. I got it for a novelty, they are dang cute that's for sure. Now I know it's only a $99-149 head, but I think at that price point I would honestly prefer a modelling solution.

The cab sim in this demo sounds horrible as well. Nice of them to include it though. I initially picked up the MT for headphone jamming, but it sounded god awful.

Sold it about a year ago to an eager buyer. Glad he was happy hah.
Was it just the headphone jamming that sounded awful? I have my MT paired with a 2x10 cab that I think just smokes as a practice amp either by myself or with the band. I like it enough that I take it as a back up sometimes and wouldn't think twice about gigging with it. But I've only used it as an amp not for silent practice.
RobD wrote:PS Third post from long time lurker...hello all!
Welcome RobD
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Interesting, I don't know if the one tone knob is enough, I'm often wishing for a 3-band eq on my Micro Terror, but at least this thing has a good scooped sound. I liked the demo sounds.

One drawback is min 8 ohms, the Micro Terror can go down to 4, great for connecting 2 8 ohm cabs.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Nah I was disappointed by the entire amp. Guess my problem was coming from the TT and R30. It wasn't all that special IMO. I jammed with a band a few years back and the guitar player had a MT into a 1X12 EVH cab. It sounded really good! It was his first Orange however so he wasn't spoiled by glorious tone hah.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:"glorious tone"
..the problems that face you once you´ve found "that" orange amp that fits every need you have.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:50 am

Yes. This is a good idea. The Micro Terror will obviously be too "loose" for some people who are into the newer, more modern-sounding Oranges. Offering another flavor of Micro Terror is logical and follows the development and expansion pattern of the Tiny Terror platform. Plus, it's blacker.

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:45 am

I think it is freaking awesome! I already have a Jim Root Terror head and love it I will probably pick one of these up. Love the FX loop addition.
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:46 pm

MikeD wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:"glorious tone"
..the problems that face you once you´ve found "that" orange amp that fits every need you have.
agreed!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:24 pm

I know a long time ago I mentioned on this forum that I thought having these TTs, JRTs, DarkTs, and now the micros sets up a really nice preamp platform for Orange to make a power soak/50w-100w tube power amp. Freyette kind of beat them to the punch but I still like the idea.

It would also be great for those who want to use say a TT and a JRT for the power amp to have multiple channels for switching.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:31 pm

I suppose it makes sense. Lots of kids / teenagers start playing metal, and only turn into rocker as their understanding of musicianship increase and teenage angst decreases.

Makes sense to tap into that market.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I suppose it makes sense. Lots of kids / teenagers start playing metal, and only turn into rocker as their understanding of musicianship increase and teenage angst decreases.

Makes sense to tap into that market.
The kiddies are gunna be in for some heartbreak cause the microdark didn't sound very metal..did sound just enough rv tone to get me through a gig if needed though

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Yea I will say I am spoiled by "proper" tube amps. The MT sounds alight played alone, but when you fire up one of the bigger brothers it fails hard.

I was going to say the MDT to me, seems to sound nearly identical to the MT. It is defiantly not enough gain for all those metal kids :) If it is still running a single tube that is most likely the reason. They should have tossed another tube in there for dual gain stages.

Then again I find the TT and R30 to have more than enough gain for melodic/post-hardcore work. Heaven forbid the R30 might even hold up with some of the Djent boys too :D

I'm sure this will be marketed as an affordable heavy metal base. Great for adding your favourite od/dist pedals to push it into INSANITY.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.