4x12 Cabinet choices

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: 4x12 Cabinet choices

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 am

CAR-15 wrote:Got it home, plugged it in and my mind was BLOWN!!! Absolutely sounded like someone pulled a blanket off of the amp. Mids are MUCH more defined and clear. Highs and lows sound more defined. Jesus what a piece of pile of poop that Peavey was!!!
Thats brilliant, Orange cabs have an excellent reputation and although I've never used a slanted cab it sure looks super cool. Just imagine what it's going to sound like when the speakers are broken in!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Lovely set up indeed!!!! How do you use all these pedal board set up?

Looks pretty interesting !!!
The board is a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro. It connects to the GCX switcher on top of the head with the rack stuff. It is a midi setup and it switches the effects on and off of the G Major 2 and changes the channels, reverb and attenuator on the Rockerverb. It is a really slick setup that can be programmed for whatever effects or channel switching you want to use!

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:52 pm

not to high jack this thread but i have one of those older peavey 412m cabinets that came loaded with celestion g12k-85s. that cab sounds WAY better than any peavey sheffield loaded 412 i've ever heard.

BUT i have yet to hear my little micro terror played through my peavey 412m as it has been baby sat by my old drummer for some months now.

CAR-15 - what made you go with the PPC412? i played through one of the CRPRO412 with my micro terror a few days ago and I almost bought it on the spot. i'd like to find a good comparison vid between the PPC412 and the CRPRO412. I know the CRPRO412 has the Voice of the World speakers.

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:19 pm

caldurham wrote:not to high jack this thread but i have one of those older peavey 412m cabinets that came loaded with celestion g12k-85s. that cab sounds WAY better than any peavey sheffield loaded 412 i've ever heard.

BUT i have yet to hear my little micro terror played through my peavey 412m as it has been baby sat by my old drummer for some months now.

CAR-15 - what made you go with the PPC412? i played through one of the CRPRO412 with my micro terror a few days ago and I almost bought it on the spot. i'd like to find a good comparison vid between the PPC412 and the CRPRO412. I know the CRPRO412 has the Voice of the World speakers.
The main reason that I went with the PPC4X12 is because I like the Vintage 30 Celestion speakers. I also have a Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster Half stack that has the Vintage 30's and the Rockerverb sounded great through it. I also LOVE the look of the slant-front angled cabinet. You don't see a ton of those out there.
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa 4x12 Slant

mmcwill

Post by mmcwill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:37 am

CAR-15 wrote:Here it is!! Absolutely love this setup!!!

Sweet! I finally received my Rockerverb MKIII 100 from GC after waiting for almost 5 months. For speakers, I bought the Crush Pro with 4x12 VOTW speakers to use as my main cab and I used it at a gig last night for the first time. I chose the Crush Pro because of the compact size and slight weight reduction.

I was wary of the sound of the VOTWs vs the Vintage 30s -- I have an Orange 2x12 open back that came loaded with them. There's a not a lot on the forums about them, but my fears were quickly put to rest. The VOTWs don't seem to be as sensitive as the V30s nor do they have quite as much mids (to my ear), but there is still plenty of bite and actually brighter at stage volumes than I thought they'd be.

My ideal setup would have been 2xV30s and 2xG12H-75 Creambacks in an X-pattern, but I'll be happy to use the VOTWs for a while before I think about changing speakers.

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:56 pm

mmcwill wrote:
CAR-15 wrote:Here it is!! Absolutely love this setup!!!

Sweet! I finally received my Rockerverb MKIII 100 from GC after waiting for almost 5 months. For speakers, I bought the Crush Pro with 4x12 VOTW speakers to use as my main cab and I used it at a gig last night for the first time. I chose the Crush Pro because of the compact size and slight weight reduction.

I was wary of the sound of the VOTWs vs the Vintage 30s -- I have an Orange 2x12 open back that came loaded with them. There's a not a lot on the forums about them, but my fears were quickly put to rest. The VOTWs don't seem to be as sensitive as the V30s nor do they have quite as much mids (to my ear), but there is still plenty of bite and actually brighter at stage volumes than I thought they'd be.

My ideal setup would have been 2xV30s and 2xG12H-75 Creambacks in an X-pattern, but I'll be happy to use the VOTWs for a while before I think about changing speakers.

I'm sure the Crush Pro cabinets sound awesome! It seems to me that I have not found any Orange products that I didn't like!! :D :D :D
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa 4x12 Slant

mmcwill

Post by mmcwill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 am

CAR-15,

Well, I've had a chance to do more experimenting with the Crush Pro cab with the VOTW speakers, and here's the conclusion I've come to: The cab does sound pretty decent at loud volumes, but at low volume, the verdict is out. These speakers have lots of bass and highs and is sort of fizzy. The effect is an extremely loose and boxy sound that sounds like a blanket over it. It's a quandary -- sounds great with all the Orange distortion, but playing clean sounds muted and lifeless. I wouldn't be surprised if the VOTW speakers are rebranded Seventy Eighty Celestions, which are not my proverbial cup of tea.

One thing for sure, the RV MKIII is one awesome amp! I love the cleans in it as they're very Fenderish and maybe even better! The gain is just awesome!

So, now my quest is to get speakers that will work well together. I'm thinking about 2 Vintage 30s with 2 WGS ET-90 (a Celestion G12H-75 clone) in an X pattern. The V30s have the aggressive mids and the ET90s have solid bass and sparkly highs. Should be a nice balanced sound. Any suggestions?

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:52 am

mmcwill wrote:CAR-15,

Well, I've had a chance to do more experimenting with the Crush Pro cab with the VOTW speakers, and here's the conclusion I've come to: The cab does sound pretty decent at loud volumes, but at low volume, the verdict is out. These speakers have lots of bass and highs and is sort of fizzy. The effect is an extremely loose and boxy sound that sounds like a blanket over it. It's a quandary -- sounds great with all the Orange distortion, but playing clean sounds muted and lifeless. I wouldn't be surprised if the VOTW speakers are rebranded Seventy Eighty Celestions, which are not my proverbial cup of tea.

One thing for sure, the RV MKIII is one awesome amp! I love the cleans in it as they're very Fenderish and maybe even better! The gain is just awesome!

So, now my quest is to get speakers that will work well together. I'm thinking about 2 Vintage 30s with 2 WGS ET-90 (a Celestion G12H-75 clone) in an X pattern. The V30s have the aggressive mids and the ET90s have solid bass and sparkly highs. Should be a nice balanced sound. Any suggestions?
I have no clue how they will sound together. I really like the Vintage 30's They sound the best in my opinion!
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa 4x12 Slant

mmcwill

Post by mmcwill » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:34 am

I like the Vintage 30's too as well -- I have the PPC212 open back, and they are awesome.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:57 am

mmcwill wrote:I like the Vintage 30's too as well -- I have the PPC212 open back, and they are awesome.
How long have you had you cab with votw speakers? I would try and break them in fully before to do any swapping, I think they're meant to sound like V30?!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute