Any LR Baggs users out there (Acoustic DI Box)?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Any LR Baggs users out there (Acoustic DI Box)?

Post by joeminer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:33 am

I moved this spring. We've been going to the same church for a couple months and now I'm helping with music.

I plugged in this last weekend into a DI box the church had (not sure what kind). But it was all tinny (not Taylor tinny - I know my guitar is bright, but this was less pleasant). It was better when I just plugged a balanced cord directly into the PA, but still seemed like I had some signal loss I wasn't used to at my old church.

I've used the LR Baggs para DI in the past and thought it did a great job. Is there any reason to look at the venue DI or the Session DI? It seems like they're 2 different animals; the session more focused on compression and saturation, and the venue more eq/boost and it has a tuner built in. I think both would help with signal loss issues.

So... Thoughts? Does anyone use any magic boxes to liven up their acoustic signal?
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Any LR Baggs users out there (Acoustic DI Box)?

Post by bclaire » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 am

I have a LR Baggs DI - Gigpro? maybe?

I always felt I needed one for my Gibson J-100 until the night a friend sat in with me and went direct into my PA with my spare J-100 and it sounded great without the DI. I tried one of the higher up Baggs that a friend of mine had and I didn't like it either...

Then I got an Avalon U5 and it all changed. Big dough but sounds great - really made the guitar come alive.

I have a feeling that you could EQ the channel you're going into on the board and get a good sound. It might be good to plug in AT the board and sit back there and adjust the gain and EQ while hearing it in the room...

Incubus
Rocker

Re: Any LR Baggs users out there (Acoustic DI Box)?

Post by Incubus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:45 pm

The LR Baggs DI is pretty decent. Personally I use a Tonebone PZ Pre.... that is by far the best acoustic guitar preamp I've tried.