Dirt pedals for a loose/spongey tone

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Invin
Orange Hero

Dirt pedals for a loose/spongey tone

Post by Invin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:23 pm

One thing I find with my TH30 is that the dirty channel's gain is extremely tight, too much so for me these days. I've been trying some fuzzes and drives in front of it to add some texture, and it made me realize how much I enjoy playing with a bit more of that loose/saggy/spongey response as opposed to stiff, tight gain that makes every pick scrape front and center.

So, my question to you is - do you know of any dirt pedals that excel at loosening up an amp to get that saggy/spongey feel? I'm not after full on fuzzy chaos (I have a fuzz for that already!), but just want to introduce some more texture and sag to the dirty channel. I thought I'd see if anyone here knows what I'm talking about and found a gem that works for them.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: Dirt pedals for a loose/spongey tone

Post by misterfolkertsma » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:56 pm

My Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop OD does that, since it has a sag knob. It's a lovely pedal, been using it for years now.

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:03 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:it has a sag knob.
Not everyones cup of tea, i know my wife isnt very keen on it! :lol:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 am

Orange AD30TC.

I believe that amp will be more what you want then.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sid Nitzerglobin

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 am

Barbershop is indeed an awesome solution. Really enhances what you've already got working guitar/pedal/amp wise and the sag knob is great at loosening things up. Not a ton of its own dirt on tap but that's not its thing.
Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 am

Your SP comp not helping there???

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:54 pm

a.hun wrote:Your SP comp not helping there???

Andy.
On the dirty channel I find using the comp tightens things further and makes the response even more clinical and precise. I go back and forth between using it as an always-on thing or as a solo boost. It's definitely something I've spent a lot of time testing and comparing, but lately I've preferred having the comp off when going for a looser rhythm tone.

Right now I've found the best way to get the loose/saggy response has been to turn the gain down on the TH30 and add more dirt in front from pedals. I'm actually quite happy with the results, but just wanted to see if anyone knew of a pedal that particularly excelled at doing that. The Barbershop has been the only one to come up so far, so I may give it a shot.
TH 30
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:49 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Orange AD30TC.

I believe that amp will be more what you want then.
Ha ha.. I had the same thought. A bit of an expensive solution though. :lol:
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 am

Just thought I'd update to say I've been able to get the response I was looking for just through further tweaking of settings. I found a nice sweet spot using the tubescreamer to add some dirt in front (gain/drive, not just volume boost) and lowering the gain a little further on the TH30. The difference in feel is really night and day compared to getting all the gain from the amp itself. Having a couple different sources of dirt really seems to spread out the pick attack and add harmonics. You can just dig in and let the amp sing rather than hear every pick scratch, y'know? More cushion for the pushin' is how I'd describe it :lol:

Anyway, wish I'd tried it years ago. The difference in feel and tone is amazing.
TH 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Invin wrote:Just thought I'd update to say I've been able to get the response I was looking for just through further tweaking of settings. I found a nice sweet spot using the tubescreamer to add some dirt in front (gain/drive, not just volume boost) and lowering the gain a little further on the TH30. The difference in feel is really night and day compared to getting all the gain from the amp itself. Having a couple different sources of dirt really seems to spread out the pick attack and add harmonics. You can just dig in and let the amp sing rather than hear every pick scratch, y'know? More cushion for the pushin' is how I'd describe it :lol:

Anyway, wish I'd tried it years ago. The difference in feel and tone is amazing.
Good, glad you found a way to get what you were after! Wee 'rant' if I may?

Totally agree on combining different sources of distortion for better tone and dynamics. The classic one for me (when possible :wink:) is combining preamp and power stage distortions, both of which are pretty different in character and feel. Believe it or not valve preamp distortion on it's own can actually be pretty harsh and nasty, it really isn't so different from transistor circuits in that way. If possible I'd always rather lower the preamp gain a bit and work the power section reasonably hard. Big difference is that the output section has an output transformer, preamps don't. And the OT makes a huge difference, especially to the dynamics and 'texture' of your sounds. Of course then things can get a bit loud, one reason I like good power attenuators. I'm basically using them not just to make things quieter for when you aren't playing big rooms, but to allow a better balance between preamp and power stage drive. So rather than maxing either out I'm finding the balance of both which does it for me.

Using just one distortion type (pedal, amp's preamp section, power stage distortion) can work great of course, but balancing combinations of these can really take things places. I have a lot of different options myself to play about with - lucky me! :D

Lately though I've been using solid state amps a lot more, which are great for cleanly amplifying whatever you put through them. (Mainly for practical reasons, I'm 53 now and my big valve amps are definitely getting heavier these days!) That is making me really find good pedal / preamp solutions to getting and shaping my drive sounds, and I'm actually having a lot of luck there. (Most recently loving the EH Bass Soul Food, and a certain CS Orange pedal.) And there is always the possibility of blending these with other things like amp drive for the next level.

On 'pick scratch' sounds, I'm not sure if he was using a pick or not there (his technique was unique) but I love what John Entwistle did on the 'Live at Leeds' album. The way he combined his bass lines with scratching / thumping those roundwounds through his big Hiwatts to also sound like a second (rhythm) guitar was just phenomenal. Check this out, especially from about 5 minutes in, bass was panned left. Pretty stunning stuff, eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzOA_sy5DE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:04 am

Interesting stuff! Thanks a.hun! I'm still over the moon about this new world of stacking different gain/dirt sources. That softer response just makes everything feel incredibly easy to play now, like the amp is singing on its own and I'm just helping it along.

I got a great deal on an Xotic SL Drive, so I'm looking forward to experimenting further stacking that with the tubescreamer and amp.
TH 30

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Invin wrote:Interesting stuff! Thanks a.hun! I'm still over the moon about this new world of stacking different gain/dirt sources. That softer response just makes everything feel incredibly easy to play now, like the amp is singing on its own and I'm just helping it along.

I got a great deal on an Xotic SL Drive, so I'm looking forward to experimenting further stacking that with the tubescreamer and amp.
Let us know how u get on with the SL drive, been using and really liking the xotic EP booster recently and keen to try out another xotic product such as this, cheers
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Sid Nitzerglobin

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 pm

SL drive is another great little pedal, probably one of my favorite Plexi sim boxes. It's got a huge range of adjustment for being as tiny as it is. Definitely worth checking one out if you're in the market for a vintage Marshall voiced drive pedal IMO
Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 pm

The Eno Fuzz sounds a bit weird in the low end, it's not smooth, maybe like it's modulated by a rubber band. But not like typical fuzz chaos. In fact it's kind of regular.

Then again possibly I have no idea what you want.