Orange amp dilemma

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Starwarsnosebleed

Orange amp dilemma

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 am

Hi all, im new to the forum and quite a newcomer to valve amps in general.
My first valve amp was 3yrs ago. A Dual Terror that i played through my Matamp v30 1x12. Ive just sold the DT and im looking to upgrade (and cab at some point) and ive narrowed it down to 3 amps:
Th30, OR50 and Rockerverb50.

I will be using it at home 90% of the time but also using it at practice/live over a loud drummer! My guitar is an epiphone sg400 (with a bareknuckle nailbomb in the bridge) and i play mostly heavy rock/punk (sabbath, stooges)and i delve into slugdey power chords (Melvins) frequently. I very rarely go into mega mid scooped distortion territory and im not bothered about CLEAN cleans either.

The th30 caught my eye first with the switchable power options, fx loop etc...but its a lot more basic eq wise than the others and has seemingly split people opinions on here and elsewhere.

The OR50 from what ive seen/reviews looks great, but would it be suitable at bedroom volumes. (Im able to crank amps fairly loud) but do have to consider neighbours!! And how does it like pedals?
Other than an OD, most pedals made my dual terror sound like c**p!

Ive got the offer of a 2nd hand rockerverb mk2 50w near my location at a good price but same question goes-will it sound good at home at reasonable levels?

I dont have the opportunity to try the th30 or or50 myself as my local dealers dont stock them, so ive just been going by what ive seen (youtube-i know, i know) and reviews online. Thought i could get opinions off owners on here.

Your help is much appreciated!
Ben.

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Orange amp dilemma

Post by OU818 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:29 am

I'd say go the OR50. I know a few guys in the Doom scene here that play them and they take pedals just fine.

They are also an amazing sounding amp.

Maybe put a few pennies aside and save up for a Fryette Power Station afterwards in order to bring the volume down if you want it heavily saturated however I have always found Orange master volumes to be great at low volumes.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:48 am

The OR50 takes pedals just fine. Just look at Scott Holiday from Rival Sons, he has a massive pedalboard and sports 3! OR50 on stage.
I dont know how well it does at low volumes though since I dont own one myself.

The Rockerverb sounds great at all volumes and I did some recording with it at low volumes this summer, absolutely great sounds!
Pedals can be finicky with the rockerverb I've heard.

For the genre you are playing I would probably go with the OR50 but either amp would do just fine. I've seen all three amps in that style of music, all doing great.

Sid Nitzerglobin

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:52 pm

OR50 takes pedals like a champ and still sounds good at loud-ish bedroom volumes (and I'd imagine lower w/ less efficient speakers). Works great for me playing primarily old school hardcore, punk, hard rock, etc. I'm usually going for somewhere between early Sabbath to OFF! sonically and the OR50 is great in this capacity and many others.

I haven't played that Rockerverb, just an RV30 and it seemed probably as flexible or more so as the OR50 but more high strung sounding to me. The TH30 seemed overly "OMG the metalz!" to me but I've only played one example a couple times for ~10 minutes each.

Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks for the input.
I have been thinking the or100 might be better suited to my requirements having 2 channels, fx loop and can switch down to 30w. I know its more pricey but im hoping my next head will last me a looong time.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 am

Starwarsnosebleed wrote:Hi all, im new to the forum and quite a newcomer to valve amps in general.
My first valve amp was 3yrs ago. A Dual Terror that i played through my Matamp v30 1x12. Ive just sold the DT and im looking to upgrade (and cab at some point) and ive narrowed it down to 3 amps:
Th30, OR50 and Rockerverb50.

I will be using it at home 90% of the time but also using it at practice/live over a loud drummer! My guitar is an epiphone sg400 (with a bareknuckle nailbomb in the bridge) and i play mostly heavy rock/punk (sabbath, stooges)and i delve into slugdey power chords (Melvins) frequently. I very rarely go into mega mid scooped distortion territory and im not bothered about CLEAN cleans either.

The th30 caught my eye first with the switchable power options, fx loop etc...but its a lot more basic eq wise than the others and has seemingly split people opinions on here and elsewhere.

The OR50 from what ive seen/reviews looks great, but would it be suitable at bedroom volumes. (Im able to crank amps fairly loud) but do have to consider neighbours!! And how does it like pedals?
Other than an OD, most pedals made my dual terror sound like c**p!

Ive got the offer of a 2nd hand rockerverb mk2 50w near my location at a good price but same question goes-will it sound good at home at reasonable levels?

I dont have the opportunity to try the th30 or or50 myself as my local dealers dont stock them, so ive just been going by what ive seen (youtube-i know, i know) and reviews online. Thought i could get opinions off owners on here.

Your help is much appreciated!
Ben.

I'd also say the OR which should will get you the closest to that tone. Although the RV 50 will get you most way there although is more modern voiced , it is very useable at house friendly volumes giving you decent tones. One thing to be aware of with the RV imo is that it does nt like most (any?) OD pedals even on the clean channel. Although the reverb is excellent (below 1- after that it goes crazy) as is the effects loop....decisions , decision eh?

Heres an excellent review on utube of the tones

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL7jPFqcj-g
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:45 pm

I'd also say the OR which should will get you the closest to that tone. Although the RV 50 will get you most way there although is more modern voiced , it is very useable at house friendly volumes giving you decent tones. One thing to be aware of with the RV imo is that it does nt like most (any?) OD pedals even on the clean channel. Although the reverb is excellent (below 1- after that it goes crazy) as is the effects loop....decisions , decision eh?

Heres an excellent review on utube of the tones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL7jPFqcj-g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haha. Love the video. Hadnt seen that one before.
Getting some great tones from what i can hear, and that guy is very funny to watch!

It seems like there are plenty of great orange amps to choose from, all have good points, its just very hard to decide on THE ONE!

I gotta say the or50/or100 are really tickling me!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:29 pm

You might wanna look at making the cab-upgrade a priority though. While I think all three amps could do just fine (the OR50 probably the best of the bunch), you'd get into stoner/sludge territory faster by adding more speaker to push through.

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:43 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:You might wanna look at making the cab-upgrade a priority though. While I think all three amps could do just fine (the OR50 probably the best of the bunch), you'd get into stoner/sludge territory faster by adding more speaker to push through.
Yeah. Im going to probably go for a matamp 2x12. About @430 squids custom hand-made and delivered. Cant argue with that!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:50 pm

The OR50 has a very good Master Volume and still sounds good at living room volumes. I consider bedroom volume to be solid-state territory.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:59 am

Starwarsnosebleed wrote:
misterfolkertsma wrote:You might wanna look at making the cab-upgrade a priority though. While I think all three amps could do just fine (the OR50 probably the best of the bunch), you'd get into stoner/sludge territory faster by adding more speaker to push through.
Yeah. Im going to probably go for a matamp 2x12. About @430 squids custom hand-made and delivered. Cant argue with that!
I was thinking more like 2x15" :lol:

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:49 am

I think you would be well served by the Rockerverb 50 MK III. It is switchable between 25 & 50 watts and it has the attenuator which allows you to crank the channel volume and use the attenuator to keep it reasonable. I have the 100 watt version and it is freaking fantastic!
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Yes i have certainly thought about saving a bit more for a mk3 rockerverb.
I have seen a couple 2nd hand for quite reasonable prices, and they do seem to have all bases covered with the power switching,master vol,2 channels etc.. I Will have to make a serious effort to get to try one.

Its driving me nuts not having an amp at the moment, its all im thinking of 24/7!!!

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 am

Hi Ben, how did you get on, did you come to any conclusions? I am in a similar predicament at the moment, I have the TH30 combo plus a ppc1x12. I used the TH100 head at a gig (and really liked that), but it has stirred me to look more closely at the range and the OR50 or 100 seems as if it might also do the trick for me, hard rock (but not metal), blues/jazz, but I need decent cleans as well. I would be interested in what route you took, if you have decided. I might have to try and get to listen to all of them, but that is asking a bit much I suppose for the retailers although I have found them to be pretty good. Cheers. Rozz
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Starwarsnosebleed

Post by Starwarsnosebleed » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Still havent pulled the trigger on anything yet!
There are a couple Matamps im considering aswell now (GT1 & 1224) so my search has expanded a bit.
I really need to get it sorted soon, got amplifier withdrawel symptoms!