OR15 with MXR Micro Amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

callmesnake

OR15 with MXR Micro Amp

Post by callmesnake » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey folks!

Someone on my YouTube channel asked how well the OR15 takes pedals (Not sure if that person is on here also). Here's a new video which uses the boost "In line" and through the F/X Loop. Interesting results! Shows a simple amp, and a simple pedal, can be very versatile & flexible. Love that amp!! :D

https://youtu.be/D72mVr_sVVY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will Hessey - "Wave Goodbye" streaming here -
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2cVP0CIcYwxdzutJSbnCOO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/willhesseymusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instagram - @will_hessey

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR15 with MXR Micro Amp

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:51 am

Pleased your enjoying it.

I'm.unable to look at your video but the Microamp is regularly recommend on here and on the Orange website (or at least it use to be) I've used it with various Orange amps for years and it does work well either through the front or the effects loop and certainly provides a good volume boost in the effects loop. My current favourite boost is the xotic Ep booster, Have a go with one of those if you can.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:13 am

Mine wasn't giving me the desired boost as I wanted in the chain and I too went exotic.... but having it as an "always on" to fatten up the tone of my p90's in my lpj and the Angus-bucker in my sg was spot on (dial 12noon). The added push it gives on the clean channel of the rv 50 mkll is really a bonus and with the mxr supercomp my clean is sounding really awesome.... its like having a 3rd channel.

Great review, Keep up the good work!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Yeah the Micro Amp does exactly what I want. Really useful with my Rocker 30 where I can get more actual clean volume out of the low gain channel and adjust the dirty channel to balance volumes better.

I'm sure the Xotic EP Booster does sweeten the sound in a very nice way (as does my SP Compressor) but for a straight clean signal boost the MXR works very well indeed. 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:50 am

In general the OR15 takes OD and distortion pedals extremely well too. I tend to play mine set to on the edge of break up and use a variety of pedals to push it and never had bad results. The Orange low mid thing really adds something special to pedals.

Two notable examples are the Boss DS-1 and MXR Fullbore Metal. They can sound thin and buzzy in a variety of amps. Plugged into the OR15 they sound sweet, fat, juicy and defined with little to no buzz. It’s a very addictive tone.

The OR15 also takes modulation, delay and other types of pedals well. My only minor gripe is the effects loop is very sensitive and does amplify pedal noise such as white noise sweeps of flangers and phasers, but this becomes unnoticeable when playing.

It also loves being pushed with clean boost such as a Lizard Legs Flying Dragon.