NAD OTR

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Lucian

NAD OTR

Post by Lucian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Like some of you know, I've been look for a new amp and today I picked mine up.

An '98 Orange OTR120!

But Im still kind of scared that something is wrong because its not as loud as I expected.. its 120w ofc, but I can turn the MV halfway at home, with the gain on full.
That doesnt seem right, does it? I have not tried to crank it past 1 o'clock since there is sleeping kids next door but still, it should be way louder before noon right?
It sounds absolutely fantastic even though it is not cranked!

Here are some more shots!

Lucian

Re: NAD OTR

Post by Lucian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:12 pm

also, can I remove two output tubes to reduce it to 80w? Im running it into a PPC212 and Im concerned the wattage from the amp may be to much for the 120w rating in the cab.
Remove the last two and double the ohm output?

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:13 pm

The OD and OTR amps have a similar master volume circuit. They don't get "loud" until about 3 o'clock on the dial.

The only thing I can see in that gut shot is that the presence potentiometer has been replaced with (for no known reason) a dual gang pot. If it's the right value, everything will still work fine.

If everything else seems fine with the amp, I'd say you're good to crank her up!
Last edited by Gladmarr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Gladmarr wrote:The OD and OTR amps have a similar master volume circuit. They don't get "loud" until about 3 o'clock on the dial. If everything else seems fine with the amp, I'd say you're good to crank her up!
Okey, thats good to hear! I'll have a chance to crank it tomorrow and we'll see what happens then :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Very nice. Congrats!

Don't worry, that is totally normal. The taper on the pots is such that you need to turn them right up to get the full effect. Just how Orange have always tended to do it. Unlike many / most other amps where you turn them up to 4 and they are already about as loud as they'll get, just distorting more the higher you go.

If you think it sounds good @ 1 o' clock just wait until you get a chance to crank it sometime. The way to get the best out of these amps is to set the MV (near) full and use the gain as your volume / gain control. (If you dare that is - do take care, they get loud enough for a big room!)

BTW looks like Ade (Emsley) did the final QC test on your amp. Oranges main designer he was the guy who came up with the circuit changes for the OTR, his first design for Orange. 8)

If you want to run it as an OR80 pull one valve from each side, so inner or outer pair. And DROP the impedance output on the amp's impedance selector one stop, so set 8 ohms output for a 16 ohm cab.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 pm

a.hun wrote: BTW looks like Ade (Emsley) did the final QC test on your amp. Oranges main designer he was the guy who came up with the circuit changes for the OTR, his first design for Orange. 8)
Yeah, I noticed that too!
a.hun wrote:
If you want to run it as an OR80 pull one valve from each side, so inner or outer pair. And DROP the impedance output on the amp's impedance selector one stop, so set 8 ohms output for a 16 ohm cab.
Great, I fear that it might be too loud for the small venues I play but I'll figure that out tomorrow. Thanks for all your help, guys!

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Unfortunately, that won't do much for you volume-wise. The amp will be "almost" as loud with two tubes vs. four. Between that and the master volume, you should be able to dial in some great sounds in reasonably sized rooms.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Gladmarr wrote:Unfortunately, that won't do much for you volume-wise. The amp will be "almost" as loud with two tubes vs. four. Between that and the master volume, you should be able to dial in some great sounds in reasonably sized rooms.
But it would be safer when using it with the ppc212 because of the power handling, right? I read somewhere that you should almost double the power handling vs the amp wattage.

120w head into 120w cab

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Technically safer. I have had no problem running an OR120 into a 4x12 cab with four 30watt speakers. And my OTR120 is actually a combo with a pair of Vintage 30s (60 watt speakers) not unlike your PPC212 cabinet.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:07 am

Just for laughs and giggles, with the amp off, turn the master all the way up. Does the knob go way past where you would think the top volume is? Mine does - it totally threw me when I realised that "ten" was at about 6:30 on the dial!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 am

Gladmarr wrote:Unfortunately, that won't do much for you volume-wise. The amp will be "almost" as loud with two tubes vs. four.
Dead right - you'll barely notice the difference in volume. Halving the power does NOT half the volume.
Gladmarr wrote:Technically safer. I have had no problem running an OR120 into a 4x12 cab with four 30watt speakers. And my OTR120 is actually a combo with a pair of Vintage 30s (60 watt speakers) not unlike your PPC212 cabinet.
I'd agree - but only if talking about Celestion drivers. Celestion are very conservative with their power ratings - rather more so than basically all the other manufacturers...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... st-2807189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bclaire wrote:Just for laughs and giggles, with the amp off, turn the master all the way up. Does the knob go way past where you would think the top volume is? Mine does - it totally threw me when I realised that "ten" was at about 6:30 on the dial!
Isn't that probably just the knobs on your own amp Billy. And can't you fix it? Sounds like either the knob or the pot itself has been rotated at some point... :wink:

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Gladmarr wrote:Technically safer. I have had no problem running an OR120 into a 4x12 cab with four 30watt speakers. And my OTR120 is actually a combo with a pair of Vintage 30s (60 watt speakers) not unlike your PPC212 cabinet.
So you think Im safe running the PPC212? I got to crank it up today and BOY WAS I WRONG! This thing is LOUD!
I might need to get an attenuator to subdue this beast. any cheap suggestions? like the Jettenuator? The hotplate is a little too expensive for me.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 pm

a.hun wrote:[
bclaire wrote:Just for laughs and giggles, with the amp off, turn the master all the way up. Does the knob go way past where you would think the top volume is? Mine does - it totally threw me when I realised that "ten" was at about 6:30 on the dial!
Isn't that probably just the knobs on your own amp Billy. And can't you fix it? Sounds like either the knob or the pot itself has been rotated at some point... :wink:
Andy.
Hasn't been rotated since zero is exactly where you think it would be...

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:33 pm

bclaire wrote:
a.hun wrote:[
Andy.
Hasn't been rotated since zero is exactly where you think it would be...
Mine are like that aswell.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Lucian wrote:So you think Im safe running the PPC212? I got to crank it up today and BOY WAS I WRONG! This thing is LOUD!
I might need to get an attenuator to subdue this beast. any cheap suggestions? like the Jettenuator? The hotplate is a little too expensive for me.
Yeah they are loud, eh? :lol:

Frankly there aren't many other attenuators than the Hotplate I could recommend. Thing is that they really need to be able to handle the actual full output of an amp, rather more than the clean power rating. Even the Hotplate (~175W RMS true handling) is pretty marginal with an OR 120 and good power valves. That jet City unit is only rated for ~80W ACTUAL power handling, so even in OR80 (twin output valve) mode that wouldn't be enough.

Also TBH I wouldn't trust the output transformer of any of my amps to a cheap attenuator. Good ones are expensive because they are well engineerd with quality components.

Odd about the volume going to 18:30 guys. But there you go, you're clearly not alone Billy!

Andy.