Or120 Preamp gain - need more gain!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Or120 Preamp gain - need more gain!

Post by a.hun » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Gladmarr wrote:Speaking from experience, I can say the audible difference in gain is negligible at best.
Well they aren't exactly high gain amps in the first place! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:59 am

I have found that the best thing with these amps, without modding them, is to just swap in different preamp tubes in the first location. You'll find some have more gain and some have less. You won't get "modern" gain, but that sounds terrible anyway. Do some experimentation - you might find something you like.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Gladmarr wrote:I have found that the best thing with these amps, without modding them, is to just swap in different preamp tubes in the first location. You'll find some have more gain and some have less. You won't get "modern" gain, but that sounds terrible anyway. Do some experimentation - you might find something you like.
+1 to that. When mainly using it for bass gigs I actually (believe it or not!) ended up using a cheap Sovtek in there for years. I know, but that valve got me some headroom and really great tones for bass. Now that I'm using it more for guitar the headroom doesn't matter. OS Mullard = sweeeeet!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:18 pm

They take fuzz/distortion pedals well . :wink: 8)

vitja
Tiny Terror

Post by vitja » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Report:

So I got this matched hi gain JJs for the preamp. It has more gain now.
I was recording an album this weeks now, and I was doing duplex tracks because it sounded fuller and more gain of course.
Then we tried to reamp things and I tried to boost the output of recorded DI with reap box (6db) and I got great results with this. So much more growl and gain… This was with Gibson Blues Hawk with P-90. Great sound!

Then we reaamped second guitarist who plays Gibson SG with buckers… Huh. OR120 is a beast!

Then I could not resist, so I took his SG and played for few hours. Damn! I discovered another world in this amp! It is totally freaky, how many tones you can get with different tubes, guitars, pickups and effects.

It has more than enough gain for all my fuzzy needs.

So my plan is:

To try a really good clean booster for live shows, and in some time to get my hands on a decent Les Paul with buckers.

But still I want to find the best fuzz to go with my beloved OR120!

Any suggestions?

Thanx for all your words so far! I really appreciate it!
73's OR120 w/master volume, 69 Orange - Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion G12H Blackbacks, Acoustic G100T, Ampeg V4 cab, early Marshall JCM 800 cab, Hohner Orgaphon 41, 73 Ibanez Les Paul Custom, Gibson Blues Hawk, Ibanez John Scofield...

Kristian Ford

Post by Kristian Ford » Sun May 15, 2016 5:06 pm

vitja wrote:Report:

So I got this matched hi gain JJs for the preamp. It has more gain now.
I was recording an album this weeks now, and I was doing duplex tracks because it sounded fuller and more gain of course.
Then we tried to reamp things and I tried to boost the output of recorded DI with reap box (6db) and I got great results with this. So much more growl and gain… This was with Gibson Blues Hawk with P-90. Great sound!

Then we reaamped second guitarist who plays Gibson SG with buckers… Huh. OR120 is a beast!

Then I could not resist, so I took his SG and played for few hours. Damn! I discovered another world in this amp! It is totally freaky, how many tones you can get with different tubes, guitars, pickups and effects.

It has more than enough gain for all my fuzzy needs.

So my plan is:

To try a really good clean booster for live shows, and in some time to get my hands on a decent Les Paul with buckers.

But still I want to find the best fuzz to go with my beloved OR120!

Any suggestions?

Thanx for all your words so far! I really appreciate it!
Look no further than the tried and true NYC Big Muff! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VFsLnsVWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;