Lp Jr need help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Lp Jr need help

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:25 pm

I have three les paul jr copies. Two of them are all mahogany. One of them is Alder with a maple neck.

The Alder/Maple one... just lacks that certain bite that I like. I do not think its an issue in the tone/Sound/Pickup.

It just seems a little more lifeless in the feel when you are grabbing the strings in a chord or doing a bend or whatever...

It has a 8.5 k output p90, and a pigtail style wraparound with adjustable saddles.

I have been thinking of getting a pro to set it up, and maybe trying a brass nut. thinking that maybe the strings going through a brass nut might add a little more metallic feel and maybe getting more twang or something. Or do you all think that maybe trying a different bridge might do something more.

currently the guitar has a bone nut, and the fretwork seems decent enough... I am hoping that the limits to the guitar are not totally due to the wood combination. Although it does concern me mainly because I love the attack on the mahogany Jrs that I have. That is a good way to describe what this guitar lacks is attack..... I dunno, I know sometimes its hard to say what you mean in words to have it make sense..

I know some of you on this forum are pros at amplifiers and possibly guitar set ups etc. Please share your thoughts. I want to try things that I think will get the most results.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Lp Jr need help

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Its definately a great idea to get a proper set up by a pro it can make a ton of difference in playability and general musicality of the instrument....cant say if that going sort your problem out though...

Ive owned a LP junior style guitar before with P90 and brass nut and it sounded very good.

Have you thought about trying a different pickup? That seems the easiest route first
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Its definately a great idea to get a proper set up by a pro it can make a ton of difference in playability and general musicality of the instrument....cant say if that going sort your problem out though...

Ive owned a LP junior style guitar before with P90 and brass nut and it sounded very good.

Have you thought about trying a different pickup? That seems the easiest route first

I will try another pickup if it comes to that. I am just thinking that its something else at the moment. If I try some of these other things and nothing helps , I will definitely try another pickup. Just from my gut though... I think its something else at the moment. I did raise the pickup a little and that did help some.... so who knows.... I guess I will know more after the set up...

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:14 pm

IMO you should skip the nut. Bone is great, and it really only affects the open strings anyway. I think a different bridge will make the most difference in the resonance of the guitar. Perhaps an aluminum wraparound bridge, similar to what PRS uses.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:03 am

I'm betting it's because of the Alder body. Wood does have an effect on the sound of the guitar. That is assuming the pickups and hardware are all the same between the three models. You could always try swapping the bridge or pickup from one of the mahogany models and see how it compares.

I would try heavier strings perhaps? I went from ultra lights to 11-52 a few years ago and haven't looked back. I swear the heavier strings made my sound more "thick". String height also makes a difference. I notice it mostly with my acoustic but with lower action the guitar sounds a bit dull/lifeless. Raise up the action a bit and it sounds quite a bit fuller.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:10 am

First, I'd suggest swapping the bridge from one of your other LPJs. If that helps, getting a new bridge might be worthwhile. If not, you at least can be more sure that the problem lies elsewhere. If it really is the wood to blame, you should also notice the same lack of attack in the acousic sound. Do you?
If the lack of attack is present in the acoustic sound then what you are trying to do, is modify that by changing perfectly adequate components other than the one which you think is defective... :D
I'd try for a good set up first. I have noticed significant differences in sound and feel simply by adjusting the truss rod. Also have the nut checked to make sure it is properly bedded and not shimmed with something stupid.
Interestingly, mahogany is generally considred to softer in terms of attack with a more rounded sound!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Have you tried Gibson's vintage strings? They make my Lpj sing like a bird.
+1 on the 11-52's
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks, all good suggestions. I have discovered a guy in my area that does good setups. I am taking it to him next week. ..... Will see if it helps... If not , I will try some of the other suggestions. .... I really like the feel and look... I honestly would not of bought the guitar if I realised before hand that it was not mahogany. I honestly made a hasty decision. There would not be much resale with the guitar... So if I cannot get it to my liking, it will just have to be one of those that looks cool but you dont really play lol... I made it a Johnny thunders tribute because its tv yellow etc...

Will just have to see, maybe a pro set up will do the trick.

whybother182

Post by whybother182 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:09 pm

I feel like some DR strings may help you with that attack/balls you were looking for

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:57 am

whybother182 wrote:I feel like some DR strings may help you with that attack/balls you were looking for
+1

DR Strings are pretty damn bright/punchy. I don't care for them, but they work as advertised.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 am

kpunk56 wrote:I have three les paul jr copies. Two of them are all mahogany. One of them is Alder with a maple neck.

The Alder/Maple one... just lacks that certain bite that I like. I do not think its an issue in the tone/Sound/Pickup.

I am hoping that the limits to the guitar are not totally due to the wood combination. Although it does concern me mainly because I love the attack on the mahogany Jrs that I have. That is a good way to describe what this guitar lacks is attack..... I dunno, I know sometimes its hard to say what you mean in words to have it make sense..
Agree with the suggestions form PBA, ButI guess it manly depends on the basic guitar - how does it feel played acoustically? If it hasn't got the bite / resonance played acoustically you like than it may well just be down to the woods. Nothing wrong with Alder / Maple of course, but maybe those two bits just don't sing together. If that is so than you could change everything else on the guitar but it would still be true...

See http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the setup was bad enough that the strings are choking out then that certainly wouldn't help. But if they are vibrating freely enough you can ususally at least tell how a guitar is. Sure you can change things with brass nuts etc but they won't make a bad guitar good. From the sound of it I'm afraid I'm thinking it might just be a pretty guitar which is unfortunately never going to be a great player.

Hope I'm wrong of course. See what the guitar tech says. Unless he / she / it is a totally conscience free scumbag they should be able to give you some honest advice on whether it is actually having the work done on it or not...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Sonically the guitar does not sound awful. I even recorded tracks with it once. It just does not have that feel i like. I will consider whatever results I think are best. I will be taking early next for the set up. Regardless if I can get it up to par... its not an awful guitar, if I cannot get it to my liking ... it will just be a backup i guess....

Everyone needs at least one tv yellow jr.

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:57 pm

kpunk56 wrote:Sonically the guitar does not sound awful. I even recorded tracks with it once. It just does not have that feel i like. I will consider whatever results I think are best. I will be taking early next for the set up. Regardless if I can get it up to par... its not an awful guitar, if I cannot get it to my liking ... it will just be a backup i guess....

Everyone needs at least one tv yellow jr.

I meant that I will consider whichever suggestions for results that I think are the best advise.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:33 pm

What year is the guitar? This may relate to the other post about how some guitars are just duds.

I have a '92 SG Standard, got it brand new that year, had it ever since. Love that guitar, just had a full refret done to it. It plays and sounds like any good SG Standard should, nails Angus to Iommi. I just swapped the bridge pup out for an old Gibson 57 Classic and its even better still. I'll never part with that SG.

A few years ago I bought a 2010 SG Junior reissue, that was on sale at Guitar Center, not a bad price, had a single dog ear P90, looked great. Had the "green" tuners versus the mini chicken tuners or whatever you call em. Anyway, first thing I noticed after getting it home and playing for a while was that I HATED the size of the neck, very wide and VERY flat radius, compared to my Standard. Baked Maple fretboard. Tried getting used to it, but never could. Then the other issue was that I couldn't get the action any lower, because the pup height couldn't be adjusted, but mostly the sound of the guitar was just kinda harsh and lifeless. Sounded ok with a clean amp tone, kinda chimey, but sounded like poop with gain. At the time I had a GFS Mean 90 in my trusty '92 Standard, so I already had an SG with a P90, and my '92 with a P90 in it just walked all over that newer Jr, so I ended up selling it. Stiffest damn guitar I've ever owned, even a PRS SE with dual P90s that I use to own blew away that 2010 Gibby Jr.

I dunno if its the quality of wood they're using these days or what, but I'm hesitant to buy any Gibsons built within the past 10 years. I think the early 90's are considered one of they're better periods as far as quality goes. I do have a Les Paul Classic from '06 that has the mojo, but even it seems to pale in sound next to my '93 Les Paul Standard, that could be due to different pickups, but it does have an identical feel.

I would try swapping out the pup, but honestly, I wouldn't expect night and day results. Gibson pups are generally pretty good, and it really could just boil down to the nature of the wood in that guitar, and the overall build quality. Who knows, maybe the type of wood glue they use for the neck joint even factors into the sound for all we know :lol: (I'm not a luthier, but I setup my own guitars).
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:30 pm

The guitar is a Dillion made for USA , Korean made. Alder with maple neck. It has a GFS p90 8.5 k I believe.

I have a Canadian Dillion with their stock p90 and a Vintage brand (wilkinson) with their stock p90.

The TV yellow Dillion that is having the lack of attack issues actually seems like a more quality build/ fretwork etc. the neck feels absolutely great... the size and stuff. I am thinking that a good set up, maybe tweaking of the truss rod will maybe give the most results... I did raise the pickup some, that helped because it is one that sits down a little (recessed ) instead of straight on the body. I loosened the screws and stuck some foam under it... to get it up a hair.

I will eventually maybe get better pickups in all three at some point.... but its not a major concern at the moment.... I have these guitars because I have come to love jr's and got them all three for 2 to 300 dollars each.

My main guitars are a 71 les paul custom, and a 76 Burny lp custom.... I have gigged a little with the jrs too, and they will be in the gigging lineup when I can get the playability tweaked out ... and afford better pickups. I love the growl of the p90s but i hate the noise lol.... I need some hum cancelling ones.