OR15 Stands Strong

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Moon
Tiny Terror

OR15 Stands Strong

Post by Moon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:17 am

So I've had the OR15 for a couple of months now and rehearsed with it a few times but I've been a bit reluctant to use it for a show just in case the little fella couldn't cope with a bigger room.

However I bit the bullet on the weekend and decided it was time to give it a go...I wasn't disappointed. Despite the bass player and other guitar player doing their best to bludgeon the little guy with their Marshalls (100 watt 4 x 10 combo and JVM410JHS through a PPC212 OB respectively) he held his ground and those 15 watts of Orange power cut through the mix and was heard loud and clear without any problems whatsoever.

When I first switched to Orange I wanted a low wattage, no frills, small head so the OR15 was the amp of choice but I went with a TH30 because I wasn't sure if 15 watts would get the job done. If anyone else is in the same predicament give the OR15 serious consideration because it's a serious little amp.
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR15 Stands Strong

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:21 am

That's great news

I still mean to try my TT live, hopefully at some point I will.... Just love the flexibility of my RV
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Did you laugh at the other guitar player during tear down when you picked up your OR15, pedal board and guitar all at once? :lol: :lol:

I like the small Oranges. I'm going to bi-amp my Fender Princeton Reverb and my Tiny Terror at the gig this weekend.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Did you laugh at the other guitar player during tear down when you picked up your OR15, pedal board and guitar all at once? :lol: :lol:
Something like that! :lol:

I used to think that my TH30 was a godsend in the weight department after some of the gear I've lugged about over the years but the OR15 is in a league of its own.

The only problem is once I'm done with my gear I end up carrying his heavy ass Marshall to the car...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Did you laugh at the other guitar player during tear down when you picked up your OR15, pedal board and guitar all at once? :lol: :lol:

I like the small Oranges. I'm going to bi-amp my Fender Princeton Reverb and my Tiny Terror at the gig this weekend.
I like the sound of that, how you going to set up your TT? Going to use both amps together?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Moon wrote:
The only problem is once I'm done with my gear I end up carrying his heavy ass Marshall to the car...
You're a good band mate for sure. He better be turning WAY down when it comes times for you solos. :wink:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
I like the sound of that, how you going to set up your TT? Going to use both amps together?
Since I'm in your basic bar cover band I'll end up with a combination of A or B or AB. The Fender will obviously be the clean and the TT will be the dirty and since I have a dedicated clean channel/amp I can set the TT a little dirtier than I normally would. For most solos I'll likely just boost the TT and use both amps. I'll have to give that some thought though as I do take a few clean country solos through the night too. I may need to run a very small 2nd pedal board for the PR with a boost, slap-back delay and ABY.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:16 pm

I love my OR15, it was gigged with too, a friend of mine borrowed it for his gig here in Bangalore....

Here's a clip of my OR15 in action during the gig.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IIW8VaUZM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Moon wrote:
You're a good band mate for sure. He better be turning WAY down when it comes times for you solos. :wink:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Since I'm in your basic bar cover band I'll end up with a combination of A or B or AB. The Fender will obviously be the clean and the TT will be the dirty and since I have a dedicated clean channel/amp I can set the TT a little dirtier than I normally would. For most solos I'll likely just boost the TT and use both amps. I'll have to give that some thought though as I do take a few clean country solos through the night too. I may need to run a very small 2nd pedal board for the PR with a boost, slap-back delay and ABY.
Great, the Mxr microamp does a good job of providing a volume and gain boost just slightly dirtying up a clean tone for solos... No good though if u want a super clean Albert Lee type boost.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm not surprised to read this, my little AD15 fella is surprisingly loud too.

And it does love being cranked.......
That's The advantage of 15 watters.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Great, the Mxr microamp does a good job of providing a volume and gain boost just slightly dirtying up a clean tone for solos... No good though if u want a super clean Albert Lee type boost.
Depends on the amp and how cranked it is of course. With a very clean channel it will do a good very clean volume boost - within the amp's limits. With a fairly sensitive more gainy preamp it'll crunch things up more. Good thing the MXR Microamp.

@ Moon, I'm well impressed that the OR15 did so well against the 'competition'! 8)

Andy
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm

a.hun wrote:@ Moon, I'm well impressed that the OR15 did so well against the 'competition'! 8)
To be fair it was only up against some Marshalls! :lol:

- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - -

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Yeah, but they can sometimes make a heck of a racket! :lol:

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Great, the Mxr microamp does a good job of providing a volume and gain boost just slightly dirtying up a clean tone for solos... No good though if u want a super clean Albert Lee type boost.
You know, the Microamp comes up a lot on these boards and I've yet to pick one up. I may have to look into the Microamp+. So far I've been happy with my EP Booster, Mini Spark and a used Cusack More Louder, which the last one is absolutely clean with no coloration.
Jake
"One of the 400"

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
You know, the Microamp comes up a lot on these boards and I've yet to pick one up. I may have to look into the Microamp+. So far I've been happy with my EP Booster, Mini Spark and a used Cusack More Louder, which the last one is absolutely clean with no coloration.
As I see it, the only disadvantage of the + version is that it has EQ. :lol:

Ironic, but I mean it. If you want an EQ fine, buy an EQ, or the + if the EQ suits your sounds. If you just want a clean boost though, well that is exactly what you get with the standard version. I'm perfectly happy with mine one knob does what it says on the box

I do like good EQs, and I'm not saying anything against the MXR which'll probably be very decent judging by their other recent stuff. But the trouble with any EQ of course is that while it makes things more versatile it'll also degrade your signal at least slightly. So it you are using it, fine, if not I'd just get the cheaper one. In fact I did.

I'm very happy with my SP Comp, BTW. I have a theory that the Xotic stuff (what I've tried anyway) does a great job of 'sweetening' your sounds up. That can be nice too.

Sorry for the ramble. Think I've been infected with the pedal bug lately. :oops:

Andy.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 am

a.hun wrote: As I see it, the only disadvantage of the + version is that it has EQ. :lol:

Ironic, but I mean it. If you want an EQ fine, buy an EQ, or the + if the EQ suits your sounds. If you just want a clean boost though, well that is exactly what you get with the standard version. I'm perfectly happy with mine one knob does what it says on the box

I do like good EQs, and I'm not saying anything against the MXR which'll probably be very decent judging by their other recent stuff. But the trouble with any EQ of course is that while it makes things more versatile it'll also degrade your signal at least slightly. So it you are using it, fine, if not I'd just get the cheaper one. In fact I did.

I'm very happy with my SP Comp, BTW. I have a theory that the Xotic stuff (what I've tried anyway) does a great job of 'sweetening' your sounds up. That can be nice too.

Sorry for the ramble. Think I've been infected with the pedal bug lately. :oops:

Andy.
That makes sense. I usually go for pedals with a little more Eq options just because my amp platform changes (or rotates) pretty regularly. I try to find those pedals that I can tweek to run well with my Oranges, the Genz Benz and now my Fender. Sometimes though all you need is one knob.
Jake
"One of the 400"