NAD, the end to a bad 3 weeks

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

NAD, the end to a bad 3 weeks

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:56 am

As the title says, I have had a very crappy 3 weeks but they are getting behind me. During that time I did have some pretty good creative time and in the process I decided to go clean. I was writing a finger picked acoustic song and thought I needed a sweet clean Tele melody over top and I ended up with this! A new '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. GC even gave me the July 4th 15% off.

Ultimately it didn't make it into the song (went 100% acoustic) but I fell in love with the amp! I've been listening to quite a bit of Ryan Adams lately, which led me to the Princeton. It's not super clean when pretty loud but you can get a really nice clean at decent volume. Different monster from the Oranges for sure.

I have a gig next Saturday where I think I'm going to bi-amp the Princeton with my Tiny Terror.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Re: NAD, the end to a bad 3 weeks

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:27 am

Sorry you had a rough time, Jake. Hope it's soon a distant memory. Great freakin amp, btw! I'm jealous...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 am

Hi Jake,

Yeah sorry to hear about the hassles. New amp sounds like a change for the better. I like small Fenders a lot. Hope it inspires you!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 pm

Sorry to hear that. i hope some quality guitar time has allowed you to get perspective and help in the mental healing process.

I know it usually helps me
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Nice way to end a bad period.
Good to know the bad times are behind, hope it won't have a tail effect in your near future.

I usually find that the sadest times are often the most creative.
Good the the guitar can help relieve the bad times, I strongly feel that as you play and try to channel your emotions into your music, you help yourself work through your issues to a degree too.

Anyway, sexy tele too!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 am

I can't figure out whether the amp or the guitar looks better. I guess you'll just have to send me both. :D

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:46 am

I've been thinking about a Princeton Reverb for exactly the same reason... that Ryan Adams sound....

Glad to hear things are on an upswing!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Time heals all and life will go on. Also, I will say that my saddest moments are usually my most creative.

As for the amp, it's really fun! Adams really shows all the different tones of the Princeton in his recordings. To get a good grind though it gets pretty stupid loud! So much that the cab and power tubes start to rattle. :lol: I may need to invest in a pine cab one of these days.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 am

sweet amp and tele...I have been wanting to pickup a lower watt fender for sometime...I have a twin reverb blackface reissue...I really like the glassy breakup they get
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Thanks everyone for the kind words. Time heals all and life will go on. Also, I will say that my saddest moments are usually my most creative.

As for the amp, it's really fun! Adams really shows all the different tones of the Princeton in his recordings. To get a good grind though it gets pretty stupid loud! So much that the cab and power tubes start to rattle. :lol: I may need to invest in a pine cab one of these days.
I don't know that I'd worry about that at all. I'd simply tighten up all the cab screws / bolts (except the actual speaker mounting ones, see HERE) and enjoy the extra harmonic sweetness you get from great combos giving all their components a good shake.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing wrong with trying a solid pine cab if you really fancy it. But I actually think that many great guitar combos (and certainly great Fenders) benefit from having a bit of cab resonance going on, and that this would certainly change with a more solid wood. You might or might not find the result an improvement. :|

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 pm

a.hun wrote:I don't know that I'd worry about that at all. I'd simply tighten up all the cab screws / bolts (except the actual speaker mounting ones, see HERE) and enjoy the extra harmonic sweetness you get from great combos giving all their components a good shake.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing wrong with trying a solid pine cab if you really fancy it. But I actually think that many great guitar combos (and certainly great Fenders) benefit from having a bit of cab resonance going on, and that this would certainly change with a more solid wood. You might or might not find the result an improvement. :|

Andy.
That's a good point Andy. I've tightened down everything I can find that may result in a rattle. At some point I will have to wind it up sometime to record and see if the rattle comes though the room mic. If it does I may need to come up with a different plan.

I also found a Swart Night Light Jr on Reverb.com for $75 so I'm going to see how that sounds with the Princeton.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 am

Nice! Princetons are my alltime favorite amps... Incredible sound. When I recorded my album last year this was basically all I used, apart from a Blues jr. and an odd Johnson Loredo on a few tracks....

Aaaaaah how i love Princetons.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Incubus wrote:Nice! Princetons are my alltime favorite amps... Incredible sound. When I recorded my album last year this was basically all I used, apart from a Blues jr. and an odd Johnson Loredo on a few tracks....

Aaaaaah how i love Princetons.
I'm honestly digging it more and more the longer I have it. I didn't get a chance to bi-amp last Sat (flu) but I might just bring just the Princeton to the next gig. I'm kind of excited to get the Swart Night Light jr tomorrow to see if I can knock 3-6 db off the volume when I crank it up to 6/7 on the volume.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 am

My guitarist normally uses a princeton in a stereosetup with either a Blues Jr. or a Blues dlx. I love his sound...

Gotta get myself a princeton someday.