OR120 Daisy Chaining?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

OR120 Daisy Chaining?

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:58 pm

I thought I'd ask before I tried as, well, I'd hate to blow something up!

I'm recording again soon with my band (we do it all ourselves) and I want to record two amps at the same time - My OR120 and a '76 Peavey Deuce.

Can I daisy-chain the Peavey from the Orange with the other input on the amp like with Fenders/Marshalls/etc?
I use the High input on the OR.

I know I could just plug it in and find out but I'd rather not see it go pop.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: OR120 Daisy Chaining?

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes. Go from your guitar to the high in on the Orange, and then lo on the Orange to hi in on the peavey. Although, I can't imagine why you'd be using a Peavey when you have an OR120 around.

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:21 am

Gladmarr wrote:Yes. Go from your guitar to the high in on the Orange, and then lo on the Orange to hi in on the peavey. Although, I can't imagine why you'd be using a Peavey when you have an OR120 around.

Thanks

The Peavey actually adds a different texture I quite like under/in the mix. It's not the greatest sounding amp, by a long chalk, but it has its uses :)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:22 am

I'm getting the feeling that, like our Billy, Gladmarr doesn't approve of Peaveys much... :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes you can link from the spare input like that. If you have any ground loop problems simply bung a simple standard passive transformer isolating DI box in between the amps.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:11 am

a.hun wrote:I'm getting the feeling that, like our Billy, Gladmarr doesn't approve of Peaveys much... :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes you can link from the spare input like that. If you have any ground loop problems simply bung a simple standard passive transformer isolating DI box in between the amps.

Andy.
Lol, yeah, looks like it....

The peavey, fortunately, has a ground-swapping power switch so I SHOUD be able to just flick it over if there's an issue

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

Don't know if I ever brought this up, but there was a band in Worcester that had a brilliant theft deterrent for their rehearsal space in a complex: they had Peavey stickers all over the door...!

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 pm

bclaire wrote:Don't know if I ever brought this up, but there was a band in Worcester that had a brilliant theft deterrent for their rehearsal space in a complex: they had Peavey stickers all over the door...!
Chortle chortle.
Y'all can bash Peavey all you like but they've made plenty of solid, good sounding equipment that's practically bulletproof.
Both my 4x12's are 70s Peavey, I have my deuce (which is great for bass) and I'd really rather love a T-40 bass...and I've had plenty of nice gear over the years to compare against!

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Peavey has made some some excellent gear over the years.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Mixing an Orange with a Mississippi Marshall is like mixing the voice of an angel with an amplified fart.

Mixing an Orange with a Mississippi Marshall is like letting Katy Perry's possessive high school boyfriend give her a haircut and make her dress stupid so no other boys will look at her.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Add +1 pro Peavey. Love the VTM series amps!

Johnny, there's a chance the two amps might play out-of-phase when you chain them together. When you use two different amps at the same time, one amp might have different numbers of gain-stages from the other. Each gain stage flips the polarity, so if one amp has 3 stages and the other has 4, you might hear cancellations and a loss of bass response. This won't hurt anything, but it might sound weird. If you're recording you should be able to flip the polarity on one of the tracks during mixdown if you hear strange cancellations. Live in the room, though, you might end up needing something like this:

http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotaby.php
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:47 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:Add +1 pro Peavey. Love the VTM series amps!

Johnny, there's a chance the two amps might play out-of-phase when you chain them together. When you use two different amps at the same time, one amp might have different numbers of gain-stages from the other. Each gain stage flips the polarity, so if one amp has 3 stages and the other has 4, you might hear cancellations and a loss of bass response. This won't hurt anything, but it might sound weird. If you're recording you should be able to flip the polarity on one of the tracks during mixdown if you hear strange cancellations. Live in the room, though, you might end up needing something like this:

http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotaby.php
That's good to know actually.
I could build a polarity switcher easy enough...only about 4 parts including the enclosure!
or just wire a Jack lead to swap it?

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Sadly, without an isolating transformer or an active circuit it can't be done. Feel free to try the daisy chain, though. There might not be a problem.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

johnnysomersett1
Tiny Terror

Post by johnnysomersett1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:13 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:Sadly, without an isolating transformer or an active circuit it can't be done. Feel free to try the daisy chain, though. There might not be a problem.
Hmm. I'm sure there's a simpler way. Surely something as simple as swapping the polarity of the cab would work!? If the amps are outputting at different phases that would mean one cabs speakers would be going out as the others would be going in. Thus, switching one cabs polarities would solve that issue? Or have the speaker cable wired to switch it!

Wouldn't solve a ground hum but surely any phase issues.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Sadly, without an isolating transformer or an active circuit it can't be done.
Surely something as simple as swapping the polarity of the cab would work!?
Yes, it would!

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 pm

You know that feeling you get when you lose your glasses, then somebody tells you they're on your head? I have a similar feeling right now. :?
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V