Matamp Reissues

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

imijjj

Matamp Reissues

Post by imijjj » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Has anyone played both a 90's reissue overdrive amp and an original? How do they compare? I would really like to get my hands on one and the 90's reissues seem easier to come by.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Matamp Reissues

Post by a.hun » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:41 pm

If you read through this thread you'll get a lot of good info on that, especially from fiveightandten on p.2. :D

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 pm

I've got a 70s OD120 (OR120m) and a 90s OD120. They're comparable sound-wise. I wouldn't hae any reservations getting either one. The 70s amp I have seems to have survived a house fire or something. So, maybe I'd say they're a bit more rugged than the 90s amps. I do prefer the sound of the 90s amp, but that could just mean the 70s amp needs a cap job.

They're both easily worth the money.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:38 pm

It's worth mentioning that not all the reissues were built by matamp. Some were built by other contract manufacturers. I recall some people mentioning that Trave Elliot built some of them.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:13 pm

My 2004 AD200B MkIII, which is one of the first MkIIIs produced, has a Trace Elliott stamp on the PCB so I'm not sure whether they took over the old Trace factory or what. I may have to pop it open and swap some preamp tubes in the next few days so I'll try to snap a pic to verify.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Gladmarr wrote:It's worth mentioning that not all the reissues were built by matamp. Some were built by other contract manufacturers. I recall some people mentioning that Trave Elliot built some of them.
I don't believe TE made them - rather they contracted out to make the PC boards...

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Well, someone else built the amps other than Matamp, because there are some distinct Matamp built details that are missing on some of the reissues.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:12 am

Yes many Oranges were built in the same factory that did Trace Elliot stuff. Fortunately they built the Orange stuff much better than later TE stuff which was shoddily built.

Gibson ran TE then too, there is the connection.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!