Psychodelic

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Psychodelic

Post by arya.sridhar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 am

Rock....

Worked on this track last night, mostly impromptu...

https://soundcloud.com/aryasridhar/psychodelic-rock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gear used:-

Orange OR15 Head
Epi Les Paul (heavily modded) {SD A2Pro Humbucker in Bridge, SD Jazz in Neck, 50's wiring, Emerson PIO caps, CTS Pots etc...}
CryBaby Wah (modded)
Joyo Analog Delay
DIY Boost (Arya Pedals)
DIY Tremolo (Arya Pedals)
DIY 112 cab w/Eminence Governor...

Would love to hear what you'all think of how it sounds....

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Re: Psychodelic

Post by arya.sridhar » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:17 am

no good?

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Needs more structure. Try laying down a good solid bass line first, then do the space guitars on top of that.

Hogie34

Post by Hogie34 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:48 am

jontheid wrote:Needs more structure. Try laying down a good solid bass line first, then do the space guitars on top of that.
Arya, I've always given you praise on the Marshall Forum when you've posted stuff up so I'm gonna try a little constructive criticism this time and hopefully you'll take it for what it is and not a personal attack. The above quote is dead on. It needs more. Like said above, needs a solid bass line.

The guitars seemed way off in some spots almost too much on the effects end of things. Maybe you don't know the timing of the effect you're using? That's a very important part of using stuff like delays, tremolo, Leslie effects and rotovibes. Otherwise stuff gets mumbled together if that makes sense. Just a suggestion, play it to a removable click track/ metronome or lay your drums and bass down first then play the guitar part. If you're not playing to a count while playing your guitar parts, it's easy to go crazy and get ahead of the beat or behind it and then it throws stuff way off. Like I said, not an attack man. I've done a lot of the stuff I've heard on a couple of your songs and had to learn myself. I've made a ton of mistakes in the last 30 some odd years of recording :lol:

I think commenting on another persons music when it's not strictly praise is hard for a lot of us and that's why it takes a while for people to answer when you post stuff up Arya. Your vision isn't mine nor others so I know personally it's hard to give advise or criticism because your ideas and what you hear aren't necessarily what me or someone else hears. Besides that, a lot of us musicians are afraid of the criticism ourselves so we don't want to give it. I think just through the interaction on the other forum that you are truly looking for the input and that's why I gave it. Otherwise I'd keep my mouth shut :D

Keep it up though man cause I personally have heard the improvement in your playing and arranging of songs over the last year. I also commend you for having the sack to post your stuff up bud.

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:49 am

Hogie34 wrote:
jontheid wrote:Needs more structure. Try laying down a good solid bass line first, then do the space guitars on top of that.
Arya, I've always given you praise on the Marshall Forum when you've posted stuff up so I'm gonna try a little constructive criticism this time and hopefully you'll take it for what it is and not a personal attack. The above quote is dead on. It needs more. Like said above, needs a solid bass line.

The guitars seemed way off in some spots almost too much on the effects end of things. Maybe you don't know the timing of the effect you're using? That's a very important part of using stuff like delays, tremolo, Leslie effects and rotovibes. Otherwise stuff gets mumbled together if that makes sense. Just a suggestion, play it to a removable click track/ metronome or lay your drums and bass down first then play the guitar part. If you're not playing to a count while playing your guitar parts, it's easy to go crazy and get ahead of the beat or behind it and then it throws stuff way off. Like I said, not an attack man. I've done a lot of the stuff I've heard on a couple of your songs and had to learn myself. I've made a ton of mistakes in the last 30 some odd years of recording :lol:

I think commenting on another persons music when it's not strictly praise is hard for a lot of us and that's why it takes a while for people to answer when you post stuff up Arya. Your vision isn't mine nor others so I know personally it's hard to give advise or criticism because your ideas and what you hear aren't necessarily what me or someone else hears. Besides that, a lot of us musicians are afraid of the criticism ourselves so we don't want to give it. I think just through the interaction on the other forum that you are truly looking for the input and that's why I gave it. Otherwise I'd keep my mouth shut :D

Keep it up though man cause I personally have heard the improvement in your playing and arranging of songs over the last year. I also commend you for having the sack to post your stuff up bud.
Hey Man,

Thank You So much for the inputs, and no, I post here and elsewhere to actually get any feedback/criticism and I take it positively, I have always learnt so much just by the inputs that I have got for the work I have put up, and since I am mediocre at best on playing guitar, it helps me a ton to work on the mistakes, errors etc that one does not figure out on their own tracks :) I am sure it happens to many :)

I really appreciate your inputs man, and also if you have to be brutal on your criticism, I am absolutely fine with that, there is no point is only saying good things, the criticism is absolutely necessary where needed...

I sure am going to work on the bass lines and work with the metronome/click track, that is one thing that i have been struggling honestly :)

Appreciate your inputs man...please keep them coming....(which means I am going to post more and more junk out here)...but I am glad that there are people who think of giving good advice to players like me...that just helps me improve...:)

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:50 am

Sure will man, thank you for the tip :)

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Not bad, has sort of a Stooges Funhouse vibe in some spots. Listen to Monster Magnet, they do a pretty good job of getting all crazy with the psychedelia, while still managing to reign it in without getting completely lost.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I liked the vibe, but would agree that a bass line and/or bass counterpoint (think Jack Bruce) would have added much.

As far the setting the delays, good audio engineers are taught to have the delay settings sync with the song tempo. There are charts (and formulas) to help you figure that out.

What is your goal with this track?
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:38 am

Hogie34 wrote:
Totally agree , guitarists are very fragile creatures ....Praise me on my good bits but dont mention the bad!....
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:00 am

like the tremelo. groovy man
fresh outta oranges

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:50 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Hogie34 wrote:
Totally agree , guitarists are very fragile creatures ....Praise me on my good bits but dont mention the bad!....
hahaha....you are right.