Bax Bangeetar - just love it!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Bax Bangeetar - just love it!

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Just had to bump this up as I just got one. This thing is far more than a "pedal". I've never been able to pull 3-4 VERY distinct and radically different serious guitar tones from a pedal before this one. Honestly I kind of got it because it was cool but I'm really impressed with how good it sounds.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Excellent, was hoping they might sell more than just two to forum members!

Yep, serious sounds to be had for sure. I'm still well pleased I went with one. Was prepared to send it back if it wasn't really that good, but it was - and more!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 pm

I definitely agree. I was in the "I hope this is just another really nice dirt pedal, which I don't need" mindset but no such luck. It's staying.

Andy, for bass how are you running it? That's one reason I decided to get one as every now and then I pick up the bass and if I ever needed to play it live I could use this as my preamp into a general PA power amp into a bass cab. You wouldn't run the cab simulated output from the Bax would you?
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 am

Unless really looking for old school 'bass through guitar cab' sort of sounds no, I'd tend to use the full range output.

Finding both outputs are useful in different situations though. I was quite serious when wondering if Ade had ever come across the Award Session JD-10 preamp. Not saying it is based on it or anything like that - I'd very much doubt it. But there are a lot of similarities in use. The JD-10 also has a (switchable) speaker sim and while the direct and sim outputs are pretty different tonally, both settings are very useful. I've found myself ignoring the 'rules' and using whichever happened to get me the most suitable sounds. Both are great tools for getting anything from cleans through to really high gain, with a whole range of different tonalities.

For bass I'm tending to run it around 10:30 to 11:30 which gets me some really nice overdrive / distortion. As Alex said it sounds monster for bass too.

Awesome preamp. People need to grab this before they are all gone!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:24 pm

This thread has me reconsidering a bax bangeetar.....sounds like it performs well. Also, how modern does the Bax Bangeetar sound....will it do vintage orange well or is it voiced more similar to the modern flavors? I would use mine through an ampeg v4 head. I have been using the V4 a lot lately as it really takes pedals really well. I have been experimenting with a lot of different fuzzes that I have found just don't sound as good through my Orange.

However, the price point for the bax is way steeper than what I usually put down on a pedal so I am rethinking and looking at other Orange pedals such as the monarch, and oxford.

Are there any other orange inspired pedals out there other than the monarch and oxford that are worth considering?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:43 pm

I ordered one today. In black.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Bensnake wrote:I ordered one today. In black.
Good stuff. Don't think you'll be disappointed. In fact I know you won't! :D
ironlung40 wrote:This thread has me reconsidering a bax bangeetar.....sounds like it performs well. Also, how modern does the Bax Bangeetar sound....will it do vintage orange well or is it voiced more similar to the modern flavors? I would use mine through an ampeg v4 head. I have been using the V4 a lot lately as it really takes pedals really well. I have been experimenting with a lot of different fuzzes that I have found just don't sound as good through my Orange.

However, the price point for the bax is way steeper than what I usually put down on a pedal so I am rethinking and looking at other Orange pedals such as the monarch, and oxford.
Yeah it is expensive, but it is a very good performing limited production 'Custom Shop' pedal. I used mine again today, (time flew as always), and may well gig it tomorrow night for bass for the first time. (The 12V thing I mentioned does work very well BTW, so getting even better sounds now!)

This is like one of the best sounding (and definitely the most tonally versatile!) Orange amps yet made - except it is a pedal. It can easily do modern or vintage. (Did I mention the EQ is very effective? :wink:) The bass and treble are both very natural sounding (Baxandall), but even more importantly you can do most things with the mids, which is where most of the real character of electric guitar (and guitar amps) sits. It is, simply put, HUGELY versatile. If you take all of that into account it probably looks much more worth the money. I certainly think so - I'm still seriously impressed with this new amp (ahem... pedal).

The Tech 21 stuff is good so you'd enjoy an Oxford. Not half as much as you'd enjoy a BBg though. I was also using my (Ampeg flavoured) VT Bass today, a very good pedal. But the BBg was way more fun and way easier to dial in too IMO.

Andy.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Again, I'll reflect what Andy is saying....

This really does sound like an amp in pedal form.

I've been messing around with some high gain pedals trying to get some Ian Thornly/Big Wreck gain mojo. I've been swapping around a Wample Velvet Fuzz, a Wample Slostortion, a Suhr Riot and an MI Super Cruchbox trying to see which sounds the best through my new stereo amp rig (Princeton clean/TT dirty). Now those are all really solid pedals... but every time I switch over to the BAX I'm pretty disappointed in the other pedals. I have been going from "Hey, this setting on X sounds pretty darn good!" switch to the Bax "Hmmm... that other one just kind of sounds like a pedal trying to sound like an amp.". There is just something magical happening in the Bax's mids and presence that makes it sound like amp drive.

If I could get a few more re-callable settings out of a single Bax all those other pedals wouldn't get on the board.
Jake
"One of the 400"

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:38 pm

O.K. So you all are saying that I need to buy 2 of them....anybody running two of them?

How does it behave with a boost? If you wanted to mid gain it and boost it for more does it react well this way or do you really need (2) of them chained together for that? :mrgreen:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm

ironlung40 wrote:O.K. So you all are saying that I need to buy 2 of them....anybody running two of them?

How does it behave with a boost? If you wanted to mid gain it and boost it for more does it react well this way or do you really need (2) of them chained together for that? :mrgreen:
So I tried it. You can boost the front end and make a noticeable jump in the gain BUT there's also a pretty significant jump in volume too just because of how much gain there is on tap. The BAX can sound pretty saturated without actually being saturated, if that makes any sense.
Jake
"One of the 400"

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Perfect! exactly what I wanted to hear. I need to start saving. Thanks for trying that and letting me know.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 pm

So 2 it is... :lol: I love this forum.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:O.K. So you all are saying that I need to buy 2 of them....anybody running two of them?

So I tried it. You can boost the front end and make a noticeable jump in the gain BUT there's also a pretty significant jump in volume too just because of how much gain there is on tap. The BAX can sound pretty saturated without actually being saturated, if that makes any sense.
Does make sense. That is the 'big uncompressed dynamic range' thing I keep banging on about - mainly because I love that in an amp. The BBg is much the same as my R.30 that way, the two are almost made for each other. No more excuses for complaining about no EQ on the Natural channel with it either! And of course if you want more compression / sustain than you can always use a compressor too - I often do.

So yeah, though they may often be linked, gain and compression really aren't the same thing at all. And yeah it works really well with front end boost, and also with my Bass Soul Food drive pedal - just like a good amp would in fact. Definitely!
Bensnake wrote:So 2 it is... :lol: I love this forum.
One of them is already insane. Two might just redefine the term. Not sure I'd even dare TBH! :lol:

Andy.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Bensnake wrote:So 2 it is... :lol: I love this forum.
6. 6 Baxes. Any less and it's not a worthwhile endeavor.
Jake
"One of the 400"

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Well I did finally gig my (meagre single) BBg last night. Line up was keys / e.guitar, violin, two singers, me on bass. Set list varied from crappy lounge music (which I sat out :P) to full blown blues, rock and punk stuff - pretty varied!

My setup was MXR Bass Comp --> MXR Bass Preamp --> EH Bass Soul Food (BSF) --> BBg --> Markbass MicroMark 801 combo. Basically my usual compact bar gig setup plus the BBG.

(In case you are wondering, the tiny 1x8" MicroMark is easily up to getting great tones at reasonable volumes for small bar gigs. In fact I usually raise it off the floor (empty beer crate or small stool) to control the bass / low mids and stop it booming. Amazing sounding little combo which I didn't even need to push hard at all last night.)

Basic core sounds (even with everything off, direct to amp) were fine. The first 3 pedals were set up to get me different sounds / dynamics combinations but without any dramatic volume differences when switching, so I could basically punch everything in and out to taste. The BSF is great for lightly driven sounds with more cut for more rocky bits so I punch that in and out to suit the songs, or for verse / chorus changes. Saved the BBg as a 'secret weapon' for later on when things were really warming up.

What can I say? It worked - a total freakin' treat! I basically ended up using it on it's own at the end of the night, just occasionally kicking the comp in for a bit more control or sustain. Way I set the BBg gave from cleanish light crunch (at similar levels we'd already built up to) right through to noticeably louder meaty (medium gain) drive sounds, all easily available just through playing touch. Sound familiar? No messing, it felt just like I was running my big valve rig (OR120), and it really roared! Only big difference was this was happening at small bar volume levels and I'd easily carted the full rig (with 2 basses!) there myself on the tram. We ended up with stuff like Clash and Who songs and I haven't had as much fun at the end of a gig in years. Ended up missing the last tram home by a good couple of hours - no problem, walked it all back in about 40 minutes, Amsterdam is pretty compact, and nice and flat.

Just worth repeating here, it is totally worth grabbing a 12V center negative PS for the BBg - makes a real nice difference. For some sounds you might prefer the rawer decay you get with 9V, but 12V smoothes that out making for more natural fades and IMO better sounds. Just do it.

BTW yesterday was another nice first for me. Had already done a 'surprise' afternoon performance with a band they brought in to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my workplace. (No BBg or BSF for that though, might have been a touch OTT!) Got a nice surprise present afterwards too, so 2 paid gigs in a day - well cool! :D

Andy.