Jim root vs or15 again.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

floridaweather

Jim root vs or15 again.

Post by floridaweather » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Okay so I bought the jim root based off of the fact alot of the bands I like play the rockerverb.
and I like the root terror alot but I'm the type of person who will always be thinking maybe the or would have given me more of what I want? The root is thick which isn't a bad thing, but I find myself preferring my marshall jvm to the root. I know the or is supposed to be "marshall-ish" what I'm worried about is it sounds fuzzy ish in some of the videos. I'm after a post hardcore tone. I have a 808 to tighten it up. You guys think i should return the root and trade it in for the or?
is there even that big of a difference between the two?

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Re: Jim root vs or15 again.

Post by FleshOnGear » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:01 am

I can't speak for anybody else, but I wouldn't say the OR15 sounds Marshall-like. Honestly, if you're looking for a low-watt version of a JVM, or anything totally un-fuzzy, you might be in the wrong ballpark. Have you tried any other low-watt amps? Off the top of my head: H&K Tubemeister 18, Marshall DSL 15, Vox Night Train 15...

I love my Orange, and I want you to love your Orange. If you don't, though, there are other great amps out there...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:23 am

Well, The OR15 can sound Marshallish, with some EQ tweaking, and you can easily get some really nice Marshally tones like AC/DC etc without pedals, however if you want to get more elaborate with the OR15 for Marshall tones, you may want to invest in a good EQ pedal, and a nice drive pedal to get there...

I use a Pedal that I built, I call it the Plexi Drive with my OR15 to get Marshallish tones, can be heard in this clip here.

https://soundcloud.com/aryasridhar/plex ... s-paul-new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

floridaweather

Post by floridaweather » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:32 am

Is there a huge difference between the root and the or? Enough to justify taking the root back?
I have a mxr 6 band eq a maxon 808 and soul food. The more I play the root the more I like it but I don't want to be missing out on the best amp I never had and the or gets alot of praise. I wish I had a guitar store semi close I'd go try the or.
Haha i may have worded it wrong fuzzy isn't the word I was looking for I don't think.. I definetly want a orange I just got rid of the th 100 (it was just too much amp for bedroom playing)
and I'm missing it already. I love my jvm but only a orange will fill the void.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:02 am

If you want Marshall tones then maybe only a Marshall will do - or an amp voiced like a Marshall. I've not heard an Orange that sounds the same as a Marshall and buying an Orange then using an Eq pedal to try make it sound like a Marshall seems a little.....
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:02 am

from what i have heard (I am yet to see it myself) the EQ section on the OR15 is more like the one on a JCM800, I can easily get some marshall tones off the OR15 without any pedals, I do not own any EQ pedals and all I do is to use the guitar vol/tone knobs and some tweaking on the amp to get Marshallish tones. but if you are after pure Marshall tones, try getting a good non marshall amp, i say "non marshall" since Marshall quality has gone down the drain and they are yet to come up with a groundbreaking amp in the past few years.

Try Metropolous, Fargen, Friedman etc...they make some great sounding clones and top notch quality that is....built to last...but if you care for the Marshall logo or resale, do not bother getting any other, just try the Marshall.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

You're probably looking at the wrong terror.... The Dark Terror probably is the terror that would suit you best.

It's the tightest and totally unfuzzy. Probably the most marshall sounding of the lot, but thicker and ballsier.

If that one doesn't work for you, I'd try another brand.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

floridaweather

Post by floridaweather » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Okay guys I completely worded stuff wrong.
I'm not after a marshall. I like the tone and almost all the bands I like use them. I really like orange amps. I had th100 and loved it. It just was too much amp. I only play in my bedroom.
the dark terror would be ideal but.. no eq and no fx loop.
I figured tge root would be a good mid between the marshall tone I'm looking for & the th I had.
or would the or still be a better option ?
I play mainly posy hardcore. But also pop rock/alternative/hardcore/pop punk

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

The Dark Terror has an effects loop. No EQ though. Since you owned the TH100 you're familiar with the shape knob and I can totally understand why you'd like a full EQ section.

The OR15 is a more classic sounding Orange though it has some of that 'modern' RV tone as well. I'd test one if I were you. Or just be happy with what you have... The #4 is an awesome amp.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 pm

If you really liked the TH100 dirty channel, then the DkT has to be it. It's the exact same dirty channel, but 15w. It has an FX loop, in which you could put an EQ in if you didn't get on with the TH100 shape knob.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

floridaweather

Post by floridaweather » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 pm

I did not know that. I actually don't mind the shape knob.
okay so I'm going to post a song. The gain in this is like the base tone I'd like to achieve if you guys could tell me which would get me closest to it.

https://youtu.be/_UwWYtLWEZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or, dark, or root? I know all 3 could probably get it but which would do it well?
thank you guys for all yiur help by the way.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Dark terror IMO for the music you posted. #4 can do it it, but probably not quite as well.
Ant