New Amp Day

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

steamboat
Rocker

New Amp Day

Post by steamboat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:23 pm

So I've gotten a lot of new amps, well new to me anyways over the years and never did a NAD thread but this one really gets me excited so I'm going to post it. It's my first 70's orange amp. Everything else I own is from 1998-2010. Mostly the early AD series i'm really into.

But here's my new PA120 on my bouncer Cab.

Here's a shot just to show you how massive these bouncer cabs are. It's next to my 2x12CB cab which isn't exactly small.

Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: New Amp Day

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:47 am

Nice score. That cab looks pristine. How's it sound?

I have a suspicion that the PA head sounds great for guitar (and was probably the inspiration for the first master volume amps). What's your take on it?

imijjj

Post by imijjj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 am

Cool!

Just out of curiosity, what is a bouncer cab? Never seen anything like that before.

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:10 am

bclaire wrote:Nice score. That cab looks pristine. How's it sound?

I have a suspicion that the PA head sounds great for guitar (and was probably the inspiration for the first master volume amps). What's your take on it?

The bouncer cab is Mint condition. I got really lucky finding it in such good shape. Both the head and cabinet have gold piping. the cab sounds awesome. I have ran my single channel ad30 through it. you really got to start to turn up to get it working but the sound is huge and it disperses so well. I can't wait to try it with the turntable and hear it pump music out. and the PA120 I think it should sound great for guitar as well. I agree with you on the master volume, it should be interesting. I'll report back after I get to test it out.
imijjj wrote:Cool!

Just out of curiosity, what is a bouncer cab? Never seen anything like that before.
Its a cabinet design they did in the 70's It's a 1x15 speaker and some models came with an upgraded electro voice speaker (the red EV logo signify that), the speaker faces backwards and the sound bounces off of angles ports. The result is a HUGE sound with great dispersion. Probably way ahead of it's time. this particular one is a full range cab with horns it was meant to be paired with there PA equipment, but works well with guitar too. They also made the same cab without horns for bass guitar. They also made another interesting cab called the parabola reflector bass cab which was a 2x15 bass cabinet but instead of angles ports they were rounded or radius-ed. These cabs were absolutely huge though.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 am

Always nice to get your hands on a cabinet that's bigger than a fridge...... :shock:

That thing is properly huge!!!!

Looking forward to see how your turntable works with that set up!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute