Seriously? Terror Bass Line Discontinued?!?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Seriously? Terror Bass Line Discontinued?!?!

Post by orangebassman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Was browsing over on Talkbass and found this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/orange- ... s.1153757/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really? This shocks and disappoints me. These heads are probably the best Class D SS bass amps on the market, and I would assume due to the number of bassists I see playing them that Orange wasn't having an issue selling them. I may could understand discontinuing the TB 500 since they have the OB-500, but now they only have the AD200b that could comfortably power an 8x10 or multiple cab configuration. Unless there is something new on the way??
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Seriously? Terror Bass Line Discontinued?!?!

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be completely surprised since the OB1 line is out now, but I'm not going to get too excited about it until I see something more definitive than hearsay/rumors from the internet. I'm probably in denial.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Not a shock to me. Tried a TB500 head/cab and the combo, and they were straight up terrible! Not really sure what all the hype was about. I'm really excited for the OB1 500 combo (If they are actually real). I'm sure it costs way less to manufacture the class A/B as opposed the tube preamp thing. Not to mention all of the people who had to send TB amps back due to failures or issues.

I'm excited :D

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:41 pm

My bassist's sounds killer . Amazing head

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 pm

I tried a used TB500 at the local guitar center and it sounded dead and boxy. I wasn't impressed at all.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:05 pm

My TB500 and OBC115 together sounded 90% as good as my V-4B rig. They are great amps if you like warm and dirty bass tones, but they are not very useful for those who like cleaner/harsher bass tones. I have seen a few complaints on here though where a preamp tube was not healthy and the amp sounded dull and/or quiet as a result.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 am

I actually really liked the crush bass amp combo. There's nothing in that thread however outside of rumor that says they're discontinued. Orange still has them listed on their website along with the OB series

CPL
Tiny Terror

Post by CPL » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:30 pm

I never had an issue with my Terror Bass 1000 with either reliability or getting a good sound from it. At first I noticed AMS and Musician's Friend dropped the 1000, that's why I posted an inquiry about this earlier on here on another thread, and now it looks like the 500 has been dropped from there (AMS, at least) as well. I happen to like the amp, sorry to see it go, if that's the case. The OB1 looks interesting, but I've noticed it lacks the feature of switchable impedance and the two pre amp tubes. It seems like you're getting a little less for the same amount of money as the TB 500, in a less portable package. But hey, to each their own. It might actually be a great amp in the long run.
ImageImageImage

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:23 pm

i'm not surprised. i had the combo twice (owned 2 separate ones) and just couldn't get into that tone stack. it's the FMV stack and it's 0-10-0 for flat. the bass and treble had no response really, you'd keep them low or crank them and not notice much difference.

the 212 sp cab is comes in sounds so boxy and just has this massive low end without any mids or highs. no clarity, no punch, no thanks.

glad i've moved on.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Post by orangebassman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:01 pm

I know the initial run of TB 500's had issues (cutting out, the DI clipping issue), but based on everything I've seen/heard they were fixed after about the first year of production. To me, the high point of the TB 1000 was that it got exceptionally close to the tone of the AD200b at 1/10th the weight and half the price. It also handled pedals better than almost any bass amp I've ever tried. Then again, the more I thought about it, with all of the cheap as hell Class D heads that Hartke, Markbass, Gallien Krueger, and others are putting out at lower price points, it's not that big of a shock if indeed true. I really hope they consider keeping the TB line, I think that with the AD200, the Terror Bass Amps, and the new OB-1 line, Orange finally had a selection that would appeal to most bassists of all styles.
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:36 pm

orangebassman wrote:I know the initial run of TB 500's had issues (cutting out, the DI clipping issue), but based on everything I've seen/heard they were fixed after about the first year of production. To me, the high point of the TB 1000 was that it got exceptionally close to the tone of the AD200b at 1/10th the weight and half the price. It also handled pedals better than almost any bass amp I've ever tried. Then again, the more I thought about it, with all of the cheap as hell Class D heads that Hartke, Markbass, Gallien Krueger, and others are putting out at lower price points, it's not that big of a shock if indeed true. I really hope they consider keeping the TB line, I think that with the AD200, the Terror Bass Amps, and the new OB-1 line, Orange finally had a selection that would appeal to most bassists of all styles.
yes but the cabs are still way too heavy, heads way too heavy and large, and all of them are vastly overpriced. they just don't sell well cause for half the price you can get an SVT and 810 and maybe more!
1969 Fender Jazz Bass

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Post by orangebassman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:44 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
orangebassman wrote:s.
yes but the cabs are still way too heavy, heads way too heavy and large, and all of them are vastly overpriced. they just don't sell well cause for half the price you can get an SVT and 810 and maybe more!
I mean I guess what you're saying would be applicable if we were talking about the OBC cabinets or the AD200b. But what you just said is exactly why I'd be shocked if they did discontinue the TB line. They were at a lower price point and weighed 10 pounds.

Orange cabinets may be heavy but you can tell a big difference tone wise. And the AD200 is lighter than an SVT Classic. Any tube amp will be heavy. As far as price goes though, I agree. An SVT 810 and SVT classic new at retail would cost about $2700. An AD200B and OBC 810 new would run about $4500. Not sure that I hear almost $2000 worth of difference in that regard.

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:06 pm

orangebassman wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:
orangebassman wrote:s.
I mean I guess what you're saying would be applicable if we were talking about the OBC cabinets or the AD200b. But what you just said is exactly why I'd be shocked if they did discontinue the TB line. They were at a lower price point and weighed 10 pounds.

Orange cabinets may be heavy but you can tell a big difference tone wise. And the AD200 is lighter than an SVT Classic. Any tube amp will be heavy. As far as price goes though, I agree. An SVT 810 and SVT classic new at retail would cost about $2700. An AD200B and OBC 810 new would run about $4500. Not sure that I hear almost $2000 worth of difference in that regard.
look bro i'm an orange fan but Fender, Hartke, Aguilar, Markbass, all have the same product for cheaper head wise. Same with cabs, the thick ply birch is cool, but it's unneeded. it's way too heavy and bulky, i toured with them regularly and they barley got dents, didn't even need cases or covers they were so thick. but they were so fricking heavy for what they are. i'd rather a 60 lb 4x10 in a rolling roadcase than a 100 lb 4x10 sans roadcase and then add the roadcase wieght!!!

the ad200 is alright, i just don't like the tone stack it's way too dark. i'm a vintage enthusiast though so i'm not their market. oh well. i'll just save adn get another 72 or120 and call it a day.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass