High Gain Guitarists

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

eyeovhorus

Re: High Gain Guitarists

Post by eyeovhorus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 am

Bensnake wrote:I think the Rockerverb is Orange's best sounding high gain amp though I haven't played either the DD or the TV. The OR100 is also absolutely fantastic when it comes to high gain though with more of a classic fuzzy flavour. Love 'em both.
I feel like the Rockverb doesn't quite hit high gain as well as the TVs, DD or TH. It doesn't really get dark enough for me. OR is cool for old school, like you said. Not really a true high gain amp though, I don't think. Maybe with an overdrive pedal or something, you can get that extra push.
Chuck Ghad wrote:Dual F'n Dark. It's the highest gain amplifier released by Orange, and is similar to the thunderverb in the respect that you can set two distorted channels, but it has an extra gain stage. Also the DD can nail killer high gain mid scooped rythem, or be used for screaming fat saturated leads. Honestly if you can afford the Dual Dark, it is high gain heaven.
It does have great tones for sure. I think the TV and TH models have pretty awesome high gain tones too though. It's hard to choose! Well, obviously I chose the TV, but you know what I mean lol.
Guitars
Dean Custom 450 w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Blakhart Whargoul NT Pro w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Kramer Assault 220 w/ Duncan Black Winter & DiMarzio LiquiFire

Amp
Orange Thunderverb 50 w/ Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Cab
Orange PPC212OB

imijjj

Post by imijjj » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:14 am

I play both indie rock and doom/stoner stuff through my rockerverb 50 mk II and matamp 4x12 w/ hot 100s. When I'm playing the heavier stuff I use a stereo rig with a hovercraft dwarvenaut 50 through another identical matamp 4x12.

The rockerverb is amazingly versatile. I feel like I could play pretty much any style of music with it.

eyeovhorus

Post by eyeovhorus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:24 am

imijjj wrote:I play both indie rock and doom/stoner stuff through my rockerverb 50 mk II and matamp 4x12 w/ hot 100s. When I'm playing the heavier stuff I use a stereo rig with a hovercraft dwarvenaut 50 through another identical matamp 4x12.

The rockerverb is amazingly versatile. I feel like I could play pretty much any style of music with it.
\m/ Sounds very cool!
Guitars
Dean Custom 450 w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Blakhart Whargoul NT Pro w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Kramer Assault 220 w/ Duncan Black Winter & DiMarzio LiquiFire

Amp
Orange Thunderverb 50 w/ Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Cab
Orange PPC212OB

crankyrayhanky

Post by crankyrayhanky » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 pm

I love me some high gain like 90% of the time, rockin' an OR100. I use Bare Knuckle modern pickups (Juggernaut, Blackhawk, Aftermath) and put an OD set to clean boost with a smidge of gain; that gets it that tight attack needed. I pump lots of mids on the amp- like 3 oclock, but then also have a graphic eq in the loop to bring 400 down a couple of notches- that really gets the angry sound :evil: A couple of stomps and I can bring back the vintage 70s fuzz.

I've flipped a lot of amps, but this one is likely to stay for a long time! I may get a Dual Dark just to get some more Orange in the house...

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:28 pm

I like that you can use pedals to add finesse to an Orange. It seems like it's harder to make something like a 6505 sound convincingly old-school, but with an Orange you can always disengage the pedals and get back to that thick sound.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Slartibartfarst42
Tiny Terror

Post by Slartibartfarst42 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 am

My TH30 does it for me. I don't play modern high gain material but I do tend to play older stuff with more gain than was used back in the day. The Shape control is always at noon and the gain never needs to go past noon and is often at 11 o'clock, though I sometimes add an Overdrive to that with just a little added gain. I can't honestly see why anyone would need more gain than this but perhaps I'm just giving away my age with that comment. Either way, the TH30 is a fantastic amp and while it's not a high gain, one-trick pony, it's also very capable in that field.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 with Creamery Double Six and '59 pickups
Fender Stratocaster with DiMarzio Virtual Solo, Area 58 and Area 61 pickups
Orange TH30
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Hardwire Overdrive
Nova System

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm

I always play with a LOT of gain on my RV50 MKII. But I insist on it being a tight and controlled sound so I run an EQ in loop and also a clean-ish boost in front. Completely superb sound for high gainy stuff, I like Mastadon, Gojira type stuff.

Even though it sounds ripping, this does not stop me from seriously longing for a Dual Dark 50 or even a TH30!