Any Rockerverb MK lll 50w head owners here?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Any Rockerverb MK lll 50w head owners here?

Post by frankajoerg » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm thinking of buying one.
I'm into classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy etc and want two channels.

Im not into high gain territory.

How is this amp for what I'm after?
My cab is a Marshall 2061cx and guitars are Gibson SG Standard CS VOS and Maton MS 500 Anniversary.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Any Rockerverb MK lll 50w head owners here?

Post by Randy Bass » Sun May 31, 2015 8:55 pm

You should consider the OR50 for Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin sounds. It's a straight-up 70's rock machine. My guitars all have toggle switches and volume knobs, so I don't feel the need for two channels to play vintage stuff.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun May 31, 2015 9:44 pm

Randy Bass wrote:You should consider the OR50 for Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin sounds. It's a straight-up 70's rock machine. My guitars all have toggle switches and volume knobs, so I don't feel the need for two channels to play vintage stuff.
Seconded. Along with the Dual Dark series, the Rockerverbs are really the most modern voiced amps Orange produces. While I'm sure you can get your old school rock tones from an RV, Orange has other amps voiced specifically to achieve your goal. Have you tried an AD30? Two separately voiced overdrive channels with tube rectification sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
Also, as Mr. Bass said, the OR series are perfect for those tones. I've got an OR100 and it's a dual channel vintage voiced monster with fx loop and wattage swiching, ifyou're looking for modern features like those.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sun May 31, 2015 10:46 pm

I have a MKIII 100w version and I would agree with the others....it's more modern than the bands you mentioned. Check out the OR amps,they are very good! Oozing with classic orange tone or as said, the AD series
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

eyeovhorus

Post by eyeovhorus » Sun May 31, 2015 11:32 pm

It really depends on what you want to actually sound like. I love 70's rock as well, but I personally wouldn't really be after writing music with that kind of guitar tone. If you're like me, you would probably like the Rockerverb for that modern/versatile tone. If you actually do want the old school tone though, I would go with an OR.
Guitars
Dean Custom 450 w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Blakhart Whargoul NT Pro w/ Duncan Invader & Jazz
Kramer Assault 220 w/ Duncan Black Winter & DiMarzio LiquiFire

Amp
Orange Thunderverb 50 w/ Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Cab
Orange PPC212OB

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Post by frankajoerg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 am

well Im also into The Darkness, Pearl Jam, Mallory Knox, Foo Fighters, Witchcraft, Kvelertak so it doesnt HAVE TO be vintage voiced.

I have the TH 30 now and even though I like the clean channel on it, the Dirty channel is way to trebly and metal sounding for my taste.
I guess the RV is more allround that can produce vintage AND modern tones better than a TH 30.

I really need two separate channels so that is a priority. Right now im very into the RV MK 3 so we will see:)

mmcwill

Post by mmcwill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:29 am

I'm waiting on Guitar Center to get their RV MK III 100w heads in - it's on order!

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Post by frankajoerg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:18 am

Never tried an AD30 or an AD30HTC but the HTC seems interesting (what is the difference if any of the AD30 and AD30 HTC?). Hopefully one of the shops here has one I can try.
I would save 1000$ on one as well vs RV MK3 though price is not an issue now. I just want to finally get the amp of my dreams and that does what I want it to do so I can be done amp shopping once and for all :)

Seems like the AD 30 THC would give me what I want even though it doesnt have an effect loop, but I only use fx loop for delays so maybe I can live without the loop.

My only concern about the AD30 is if its way too loud ad the RV MK lll is switchable down to 25 watts AND has this built in attenuator.

is the AD 30 HTC insane loud or is it controllable for small gigs etc?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 am

frankajoerg wrote:Never tried an AD30 or an AD30HTC but the HTC seems interesting (what is the difference if any of the AD30 and AD30 HTC?).
Availability. The single channel AD30s are long discontinued.
Hopefully one of the shops here has one I can try.
I would save 1000$ on one as well vs RV MK3 though price is not an issue now. I just want to finally get the amp of my dreams and that does what I want it to do so I can be done amp shopping once and for all :)

Seems like the AD 30 THC would give me what I want even though it doesnt have an effect loop, but I only use fx loop for delays so maybe I can live without the loop.

My only concern about the AD30 is if its way too loud ad the RV MK lll is switchable down to 25 watts AND has this built in attenuator.

is the AD 30 HTC insane loud or is it controllable for small gigs etc?
The AD30 is very compressed and not particularly loud for a 30 watter. Great sounds and feel but a good AC30 (or something like the Rocker 30) will kick it into touch on the volume stakes. Still not what I'd call 'quiet' through a good 2x12 of course, but there are definitely louder amps out there.'

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Post by frankajoerg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:49 am

The OR 100 looks very interesting but 100w might be way more than needed.

If it was a 50w or better a 30W that was switchable down to 20, 15, 7w, that would be perfect.

I play only small gigs for like 40-100 people in small clubs and Im just afraid that this monster of an amp would kill someone ;)

My cab is also a 60w Marshall 2061CX and I guess that wouldnt handle the OR 100.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 am

frankajoerg wrote:The OR 100 looks very interesting but 100w might be way more than needed.

If it was a 50w or better a 30W that was switchable down to 20, 15, 7w, that would be perfect.

I play only small gigs for like 40-100 people in small clubs and Im just afraid that this monster of an amp would kill someone ;)

My cab is also a 60w Marshall 2061CX and I guess that wouldnt handle the OR 100.
No it wouldn't, but it is a really great cab (sounds monster with the Rocker 30) and could well be perfect with an AD30 for you.

Straight up I'm not an AD30 owner, its the R.30 for me. But they are very different amps and that is just my personal preference for a raw uncompressed style of amp with a huge loud / soft dynamic range.

The AD30 as I said is very compressed, perfect for much more controllable zoning in on particular gain levels with a magical drive response to your playing touch. The compression means it will stay pretty close to the set volume as you change your picking hardness, just giving more or less crunch depending on how you play it. Superb sustain is also 100% guaranteed, and while not 'high' gain it can definitely do classic rock gain levels. The classic Zep. sort of thing is easy with it, just ask a certain Mr. Page.

You'll get nothing like the clean headroom of your TH30 though - don't expect that. But more than enough volume for you I'm sure, and great channel master volumes so very controllable.

I think you do need to try it at any rate. (Also looks great in black IMO... :wink:)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Post by frankajoerg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 am

Actually guys, I think I will pass on the RV MK3 and go for the AD30 HTC!
They have a combo in one of the local shops but it was broken so I'll get to test it next week.

But from what I read and the demos I've seen I don't think I can go much wrong with it. It's UK made as well right?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:45 pm

frankajoerg wrote:Actually guys, I think I will pass on the RV MK3 and go for the AD30 HTC!
They have a combo in one of the local shops but it was broken so I'll get to test it next week.

But from what I read and the demos I've seen I don't think I can go much wrong with it. It's UK made as well right?
Yep made in UK.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

frankajoerg
Tiny Terror

Post by frankajoerg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Damn it... when looking at this video I'm right back at wanting the RV!!!

https://youtu.be/S-7H_f6Nk0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:29 am

You might as well take a look at the Dual Terror as well since it meets a lot of your requirements. It has two vintage-voiced channels, either of which can be used for varying levels of distortion. It also is closer to the middle of the road in terms of compression vs. dynamics, so it is going to be more versatile than the AD30 for playing more modern stuff.