Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Post by Bensnake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:33 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Ah ah!!!!

It really doesn't!!!!!

I've agreed a deal for an Orange AD30 combo, Mint looking, for less than 1/3 or retail price... Should pick it up tomorrow!!!!!
Awesome! Get back to us with details and pics. Lots of them... :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 am

Sounds like a great deal. Hope you love it! 8)
Les Paul Lover wrote: Having an exact same back up is nice. I sure wouldn't mind doing that when I have the funds!
Don't know, given the option of grabbing another of something I already have or something similar but at least slightly different I go for different. Just like having different capabilities to expand my choices.

Recent examples? Wanted another good comp so I didn't have to change settings for very different instruments. Would have been totally happy with another MXR Bass comp (brilliant for bass, guitar, anything really), but chose the xotic SP comp instead. Good choice, well happy.

Grabbed another Squier CV '50s Tele. Wanted one guitar strung lighter, had been playing a mates guitar with 9s and enjoyed the more sensitive string bending / finger vibrato possibilities. Having discovered Teles it had to be another. Chose the model with the more powerful Alnico 5 p/ups instead of the A3s on my first one as I knew mine hadn't sounded so good with 9s. (Actually according to the website they both have the A5 p/ups now. Not sure if that is true or not.) Very happy to have both types - the different colour finishes while both lovely didn't decide it for me, the specs did. And the p/ups, like the guitars themselves, are easily good enough to be keepers.

Have to admit though that I was hugely tempted by the black R.30C which sat for years in a shop near here. (Love Oranges in black, and my favourite guitar combo - what could be better?) But simply couldn't justify a second otherwise totally identical amp and really didn't want to sell mine for the money I'd get. (Also my lovely wife might have been locked up for murder, which would have been a shame.) Was hugely relieved when someone else finally bought the black one - torture over! :lol:

I have backups yeah, but they are always different. That's just me I guess.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:35 pm

a.hun wrote:Sounds like a great deal. Hope you love it! 8)
Les Paul Lover wrote: Having an exact same back up is nice. I sure wouldn't mind doing that when I have the funds!
Don't know, given the option of grabbing another of something I already have or something similar but at least slightly different I go for different. Just like having different capabilities to expand my choices.

Recent examples? Wanted another good comp so I didn't have to change settings for very different instruments. Would have been totally happy with another MXR Bass comp (brilliant for bass, guitar, anything really), but chose the xotic SP comp instead. Good choice, well happy.

Grabbed another Squier CV '50s Tele. Wanted one guitar strung lighter, had been playing a mates guitar with 9s and enjoyed the more sensitive string bending / finger vibrato possibilities. Having discovered Teles it had to be another. Chose the model with the more powerful Alnico 5 p/ups instead of the A3s on my first one as I knew mine hadn't sounded so good with 9s. (Actually according to the website they both have the A5 p/ups now. Not sure if that is true or not.) Very happy to have both types - the different colour finishes while both lovely didn't decide it for me, the specs did. And the p/ups, like the guitars themselves, are easily good enough to be keepers.

Have to admit though that I was hugely tempted by the black R.30C which sat for years in a shop near here. (Love Oranges in black, and my favourite guitar combo - what could be better?) But simply couldn't justify a second otherwise totally identical amp and really didn't want to sell mine for the money I'd get. (Also my lovely wife might have been locked up for murder, which would have been a shame.) Was hugely relieved when someone else finally bought the black one - torture over! :lol:

I have backups yeah, but they are always different. That's just me I guess.

Andy.
I'm fully with you, space and finances dictate that if I buy something, it has to be different to be justifiable. But I'd quite like to get another AD15, I love that set up. Not likely to happen in the short / medium term though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm

In the last 12 months i have been on more of a selling spree.. essentially anything that didnt get used over the last year or so.. all things i enjoyed, (with the exception of the PRS which sounded woefully anaemic) but now no longer use, or simply cannot justify (like a 3rd bass and 2nd bass amp)

so off went..

Traktor S4
Ibanez SR1200E bass
PRS Santana SE (hated it)
TC BG250 bass amp
Tascam DP24 multi-track recorder
Roland MC808
the TH30

and a few others i forget... and ended up at a wash to slight +ve money wise as it was all on craigslist.

..and in came..

R30c
TC G system
TC Nova Drive
(yet another) Les Paul
a used drumset (a this upcoming winter time conversion to electronic project)

I do regularly buy used, interesting stuff.. most stick around for a year or more, some go within a few months..but being never in desperation for anything, i will only buy at a price that i know can support a fair resale value.. as I certainly do not make enough $$ from music to justify anything other than a guitar cable..much less something to plug into it :)
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Yeah mystic, I'm pretty much in your boat, except that had to make the conscious decision to make my geeky knowledge work for me as with 2 kids now theres isn't much money to spare.

I'm still full of GAS, but can't afford it, so have to buy and sell to see what I can get later on.

Anyway I picked up the AD30tc combo earlier today.
It's in fantastic condition. But for 2 slight dark marks on the tolex, and 2 pinhead prick scratch, it looks new. Pics will have to wait, as I'm off to France tomorrow to see my poorly dad.

I just can't believe I got it at less than a 1/3 of new price. Classic bargain, he didn't want to post, and pick up was in the country side. But not that far out, had to drive like 25miles each way? And it's been fully revalved before sale with eh valves.

First brief impression is that is sounds a hell of a lot thicker than the AD15. Sounds great, absolutely great, but volume might be an issue with that one.

I will either keep the AD15 or this one. Can't afford to keep both, so I'm pretty eager to have them both side by side and compare!!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Congrats on your new amp! I agree the AD30 is a thick sounding beast. I imagine the combo version would sound about the same as the head hooked up to a 212OB. As I wrote in another thread the volume might be an issue to get the very best out of this amp. It sounds absolutely fantastic with the volume dimed and the gain set to 10-11 o'clock but then you better use hearing protection...
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 pm

+1 on a new amp grab!..

never played an AD30 and one may make it in here at some point... but all of that gas will have to wait for the winter.. its sailing season until october over here...
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:04 am

congrats on the AD30, great amp!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm

After a while with both the Ad30TC combo and the AD15, I've come to the following conclusions:

- The AD30 sounds better. It's probably due to the fact that it's a later model with the better Demeters trannies, but it sounds thicker, a bit more musical. Beautiful amp.

- Even though it's a combo, I find it easier to move than my PPC212.

- The AD15 is still amazing

And I've decided to keep the AD15.
I don't need both, so sadly it's bye bye time to this little AD30 combo that sounds so sweet. I thought the fact that it sounded marginally better than my AD15 would seal the Ad15's fate, but the difference was too small, and the AD15 is soooooooo portable.

Got to love a small combo, hard to beat really.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:27 am

I haven't posted for a while in that thread, but thought it was about time to give an update on my trading activities.

So I had managed to acquire this mint AD30tc combo for less than a 1/3 of new price. Still pinching myself. But decided to sell it as my AD15 is better suited d to my needs, even though the bigger amp sounds a bit better.

I managed to trade it for a mint Vox AC30C2 and a well played mex fender strat with hard case and upgraded iron gear pick ups (by the way, whilst iron gear pick ups are pretty affordable, they do sound fantastic).

The vox did sound very nice - I think Jondog had one for a short period, but his was noisy - but I didn't take me long to figure out that amp wasn't for me.
The strat was a make weight - pretty nice axe, but nowhere near competing with my Vigier Expert.

So I sold them both.... I managed to sell the vox for a little more than I bought the AD30tc, and then sold the strat for £280. At that stage, I found myself with £755 in my pocket.... For Which I've only invested £330.

That's when I saw a local classified for a les paul standard..... Looking really good.......
Had to fork out another £100, but for a total investment of £430 of my cash, I'm now the owner of this beauty:

A gibson Les Paul standard in lovely desert burst, 60s neck, 2 dings and one slight lacquer blemish on the lower bout where no one will ever see it.
I'm PRETTY pleased. You could barely buy a melody maker new for that price.

Anyway, I don't think that's the end of it.....

It didnt take long to realise that I'm not a fan of the 60s neck, (it really does make a big difference - still a great guitar to play, it sounds ace, but I much prefer my LP standard faded with the thicker 50s neck - much more confortable to me !!!!!)

Also we aren't flush with cash at the moment so could do with raising extra funds....

And i quite enjoy that buy /selling game...... :mrgreen:

And you guys? Any up swapping to tell about?
Ant

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:28 am

You've done great there and that's a lovely les paul shame you don't like the 60s neck

I've also recently (about 2 months ago) bought an ad30 (but the htc) for ridiculously little money, it had been on ebay a couple of weeks and was local so made a cash offer. I absolutely love it and much prefer it's tone to my RV 50..... So maybe that (the RV) will be going the distance at some point in the future there's just a couple of things that I'm fed up of with it - like it's flabby sound when u use Od pedals on the clean channel but there's no rush. But anyway it will be the AD30 getting played this weekend.

I'm currently looking for a good quality Od to use with my Ad30 as I like a variety of OD tones. My OCD sounds good with it but still looking for another.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:24 am

Holy crap! That Les Paul is amazing!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:You've done great there and that's a lovely les paul shame you don't like the 60s neck

I've also recently (about 2 months ago) bought an ad30 (but the htc) for ridiculously little money, it had been on ebay a couple of weeks and was local so made a cash offer. I absolutely love it and much prefer it's tone to my RV 50..... So maybe that (the RV) will be going the distance at some point in the future there's just a couple of things that I'm fed up of with it - like it's flabby sound when u use Od pedals on the clean channel but there's no rush. But anyway it will be the AD30 getting played this weekend.

I'm currently looking for a good quality Od to use with my Ad30 as I like a variety of OD tones. My OCD sounds good with it but still looking for another.
Thank you!
It was a great deal, I couldnt pass it up, but the 60s neck was a bit of a disappointment I must say. I'd never imagined it would make that match ofna difference, but with me having a 50s neck LP, I know I much prefer the other profile.

I feel almost bad about it as there's nothing wrong with the guitar, it's a great instrument.

With regards to the RV50, I don't think I'll ever part with mine. Innove that clean channel, and whereas I need lots of pedals with my AD15, I'm very happy with the RV50 and the dual footswitch.

If you need other flavours of ODs, I've only really tried fuzz through the clean channel - but with good success.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:54 am

Randy Bass wrote:Holy crap! That Les Paul is amazing!
I know, I was so pleased to get it!!!!

A shame I'm not a big fan of the 60s neck.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Just agreed to sell the LP, it'll turn in a nice profit for me, which isn't bad.

Took some pics of it to sell it, it's such an incredibly beautiful guitar!!!!!

What a sexy axe!!!!! That top makes me drool every time I see it. The good part is that I now know to avoid 60s neck profile gibson.

And I'm already looking at the next axe / amp to buy!!!!!
Ant