Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 pm

I just sold my lovely duesenberg.

I only bought it to make cash, but I wasn't expecting it to be that nice. I had a heavy heart as it went out of the door.

I can see another one of these in my future - really great guitars.

The problem was that it turned up to early in the chain. :(
With 2 kids around here, I realised my funds (what funds???) for music acquisition were limited. So I decided to try and make my small fund work for me.

I bought that Laney LC30 MKII. Lovely clean channel, around £45 profit.

I also had a way huge swollen pickle with a really cool rustyJames Trussart enclosure, that I bought drunk playing the "let's see what his max bid is" game. I found his max bid, and was horrified he didn't bid anymore. Anyway, it turned out to be a great pedal, and a £30 profit. It was also signed by Jorge Tripp and James Trussart.

In the past I've also managed to make profits on an Orange AD5, and a Marshall dsl, but that got "reinvested" into plastering a corridor....

So with those 3 (duesenberg, laney and swollen pickle) I've managed to turn £300ish into £500. That sweetens the loss of the duesenberg a bit, and means I can look at the next amp/guitar I'll try to make some money on.

I can totally conceive that when/if I make enough cash with this, I might by another of those duesenberg, and a regular swollen pickle too - sick pedal. I miss it now!

So what have you been up to yourselves ?

Beside steamboat who's just after owning all AD15s ever built and Billy who just buys everything to keep, what have you been selling? I find that buying /selling great entertainment, and a good way to try out some gear you wouldn't necessarily think of buying, like this laney, Marshall or duesenberg.

Successes? Losses?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Post by Bensnake » Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 pm

I just sold my Micro Terror and planning to get rid of the CR120. My new Line 6 POD HD500X plugged straight into the stage box really does the thing (it's really good sounding and extremly versatile) for me live in my cover band so I'm not actually in a need for the CR no more.

A Fender (some sort...) and a black RV100 MKlll are on the wish list as well as a PPC412 in orange loaded with G12H-30's for the CS50.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Tue May 26, 2015 10:51 pm

I feel your pain. I'm lucky, it's been a while since I've "had" to sell anything, even with two kids. Most of my decisions to sell gear are mainly due to the fact that I "feel" that I should own less gear than I do... it's a strange kind of guilt, considering that everything I own was either built by me or paid cheap due to looking hard on forums for deals...

However, lately I've decided to sell my rocker30 head. It's a great head but I hadn't plugged into it for over a year. I'm just playing the amps I built way more and, with the TV50, that one was somewhat redundant... I was bummed to sell it but a few weeks later I can only say that it was the right decision.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Wed May 27, 2015 2:46 am

I used to do a lot more buying and selling years ago. After my first wife booted me out and I started working at a music shop, my trading halted almost completely. My enthusiasm dried up. Lately I've been missing it, but haven't found the time to get things into sellable condition.

There is one notable exception. I had an Ibanex RG-1077XL in rough shape from years of neglect. Back when I still played it, I hadn't yet learned the finer points of guitar repair. It had some minor issues and I gave up on it in the middle of a pickup swap. It remained unplayed for years after I got my Flying V. Recently a regular customer at my shop bought it off of me as-is, then payed my store to have me fix it! When it was done I was nearly despondent. It sounded and felt better than ever, but it was no longer mine. :(

It was a nice guitar. Deep metal flake blue with white binding on the body and neck. Got $500 for it and used the money to pay bills.

My favorite pieces that I let go over the years are an Ibanez AD-202 Analog Delay and a Sovtek MIG100h.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 am

Until recently I had a one in none out policy for gear, hate letting stuff go. But when I felt the need to upgrade my acoustic I did sell my old one and a squier strat I'd given a major upgrade to, to help fund it and make some space. Didn't make money but did ok, gave both guitars that went a good cleaning, set up and new strings and there was some pain seeing them go. Until the new Faith acoustic arrived :D
We're in the process of renovating a house now, I've done a bulk of the work myself and probably saved us thousands so the missus rewarded me at Xmas with a new CV Tele which I love. But I'm meeting the plasterer this afternoon for a quote so slightly fear for the guitar collection :?
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 am

Oh man... so sorry to read this. What a beautiful guitar - well, glad to hear you made out well...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm currently wheeling and dealing to get a new guitar! .... But I'm not selling any. Just missed out on a Vigier but another les paul is currently in my sights!

Hopefully going to try it out Saturday - if it doesn't sell first!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Bensnake wrote:I just sold my Micro Terror and planning to get rid of the CR120. My new Line 6 POD HD500X plugged straight into the stage box really does the thing (it's really good sounding and extremly versatile) for me live in my cover band so I'm not actually in a need for the CR no more.

A Fender (some sort...) and a black RV100 MKlll are on the wish list as well as a PPC412 in orange loaded with G12H-30's for the CS50.
Christ!
Not so much wheeling and dealing but a proper shopping list!!!! :lol:
That's the true Bensnake style. 8)
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Surgeon wrote:I feel your pain. I'm lucky, it's been a while since I've "had" to sell anything, even with two kids. Most of my decisions to sell gear are mainly due to the fact that I "feel" that I should own less gear than I do... it's a strange kind of guilt, considering that everything I own was either built by me or paid cheap due to looking hard on forums for deals...

However, lately I've decided to sell my rocker30 head. It's a great head but I hadn't plugged into it for over a year. I'm just playing the amps I built way more and, with the TV50, that one was somewhat redundant... I was bummed to sell it but a few weeks later I can only say that it was the right decision.
Sometimes you have to be realistic enough. I did the same thing with my AD5. After getting the AD15 and not switching it on in 3 month, I realised I had no need for it anymore.

jasondunringill wrote:Until recently I had a one in none out policy for gear, hate letting stuff go. But when I felt the need to upgrade my acoustic I did sell my old one and a squier strat I'd given a major upgrade to, to help fund it and make some space. Didn't make money but did ok, gave both guitars that went a good cleaning, set up and new strings and there was some pain seeing them go. Until the new Faith acoustic arrived :D
We're in the process of renovating a house now, I've done a bulk of the work myself and probably saved us thousands so the missus rewarded me at Xmas with a new CV Tele which I love. But I'm meeting the plasterer this afternoon for a quote so slightly fear for the guitar collection :?
That's satisfying about the new faith. Part of my trading will have to pay for a decent classical and a decent acoustic. I have one of each, but they are very average - the classical is a 50 year old English built classical guitar given to me by my wife's mom, and is pretty rubbish.

I wasn't particularly pleased about losing my Marshall fund, but hey, the corridor is superb....... :lol:
We renovated our house too, and did most of the work ourselves. It was a vey hard couple of years, but the money we have saved is incredible. And the value we have added to the house is pretty impressive too - though that's not gonna get me a guitar that!!!!! :lol:

FleshOnGear wrote:I used to do a lot more buying and selling years ago. After my first wife booted me out and I started working at a music shop, my trading halted almost completely. My enthusiasm dried up. Lately I've been missing it, but haven't found the time to get things into sellable condition.

There is one notable exception. I had an Ibanex RG-1077XL in rough shape from years of neglect. Back when I still played it, I hadn't yet learned the finer points of guitar repair. It had some minor issues and I gave up on it in the middle of a pickup swap. It remained unplayed for years after I got my Flying V. Recently a regular customer at my shop bought it off of me as-is, then payed my store to have me fix it! When it was done I was nearly despondent. It sounded and felt better than ever, but it was no longer mine. :(

It was a nice guitar. Deep metal flake blue with white binding on the body and neck. Got $500 for it and used the money to pay bills.

My favorite pieces that I let go over the years are an Ibanez AD-202 Analog Delay and a Sovtek MIG100h.

Talk about finding out the hard way...... That Ibanez story isn't a nice ending at all..... :(
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

bclaire wrote:Oh man... so sorry to read this. What a beautiful guitar - well, glad to hear you made out well...

Yeah , it's bitter sweet. I didn't expect it to be such a nice guitar. it sits right between a tele and a les paul, such a good guitar.
But I had bought it to flip it and stuck to my gun. :(
On the plus side, now I know how good they are, i'm adding this to my regular ebay search. There will be another one at some point in my life, I'm sure.

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm currently wheeling and dealing to get a new guitar! .... But I'm not selling any. Just missed out on a Vigier but another les paul is currently in my sights!

Did you miss out on the Excalibur indus one that sold this weekend?
I love my vigier. That is an incredible guitar. I'm really lucky to have mine. Their necks are the best I have tried.
I call it a lifer - I cant see myself getting rid of it ever.
Ant

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Always good to have a Dues - i've loved my Starplayer TV since I got it. It just works.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
bclaire wrote:Oh man... so sorry to read this. What a beautiful guitar - well, glad to hear you made out well...

Yeah , it's bitter sweet. I didn't expect it to be such a nice guitar. it sits right between a tele and a les paul, such a good guitar.
But I had bought it to flip it and stuck to my gun. :(
On the plus side, now I know how good they are, i'm adding this to my regular ebay search. There will be another one at some point in my life, I'm sure.

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm currently wheeling and dealing to get a new guitar! .... But I'm not selling any. Just missed out on a Vigier but another les paul is currently in my sights!

Did you miss out on the Excalibur indus one that sold this weekend?I am
I love my vigier. That is an incredible guitar. I'm really lucky to have mine. Their necks are the best I have tried.
I call it a lifer - I cant see myself getting rid of it ever.
Yes I did, after being the highest bidder all week, never mind though it was a bit of a risk buying before trying, not something I would normally do and I never played a Vigier before. However should be going to see a LP later today.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu May 28, 2015 10:35 am

I have been going thru a buying selling phase, parted with several guitars and amps lately. I traded an amp for a SG that was fantastic but traded to sell and made a couple hundred on it. I battled with a couple of pieces but finally let them go, I have a bit or broke even which is more than OK in my book, among them - 2 Gibson RD standards, Non-Reverse Firebird, SG Melody Maker, LP Special... But I was able to pick up a pelham blue 335 that I have wanted for years, the OR and MKIII. All and all I am happy, I'll miss the fallen
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Fri May 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: Sometimes you have to be realistic enough. I did the same thing with my AD5. After getting the AD15 and not switching it on in 3 month, I realised I had no need for it anymore.
Yeah, it's not fun realizing that you own something really cool and that you're not doing it justice by letting it collect dust. I'm not a collector so for me to justify owning gear means it needs to be played. I try to see it as a chance to own something I'll enjoy more by making room and money to acquire something new.

Could just be that I own too much gear but, as long as I enjoy it there's no harm as long as my family has everything it needs (and more)...

Hope you get one of those back soon enough...or something better ;-)

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sat May 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Beside steamboat who's just after owning all AD15s ever built and Billy who just buys everything to keep, what have you been selling?

It's always tough selling gear and wondering if your making the right choices. i agree with both sides. sometimes you have to move gear to get other gear you want. And sometimes it's good to just hold onto everything you have or can get your hands on. it's nice to have collections because you get to try so many different things out when your bored oh yea and smile every time you walk into the jam room surrounded by great gear! I'm also all about having back ups to all the gear that I do use on the regular. gear usually doesn't tell you when it's going to crap out so it's best to just be prepared with a back up while your main gear is being repaired. But I am in a bit of a pinch right now as I have found an amp that I badly want to have and there's no extra money right now so I'm probably going to be moving some gear right now. Since I do have 4 ad15's it's likely one of those will be sadly sold off. But this new amp will be used more often than a 4th ad15 so in the end it's a smart decision i'm thinking. It's tough though because the ad15's i use regularly are the least rare of them for obvious reasons. So it's hard for me to sell off the rarest one. And it's in such good condition that I don't want to turn it into a gigging amp and sell my current gigging ad15's. hmmmmm...so many ways to look at things...thats why In the end I try not to get rid of anything...no regrets that way...

I was literally never using my ad30TC head anymore since I also have an ad30 single channel, I like this version much more. so I sold the ad30TC to the other guitarist in the band about a month back. that helped replenish some funds from my custom shop indiglo blue gibson 335 that I bought 2 months ago. I'm a fender strat/tele guy so that has been a weird transition for me, i Like it but it just doesn't feel like home yet i'm still getting used to playing it. My strat will always be my main guitar but i've always wanted a 335 so I finally got one.

When i play my single channel ad30's I like the head and cab more than the combo so My AD30R will probably be the next to go to help fund another amp i'm after. This has been another hard choice to make. the combo is a tight much lighter package than the head and 2x12CB but I enjoy the added low end the cab gives me compared to a combo. but a combo disperses sound so well! It's very hard to decide what to do...So once again I try not to get rid of anything...no regrets that way...

Getting rid of my rockerverb MKII to fund a Rockerverb MKIII has also been on my mind alot lately...I'm not crazy about the new look of it but the switchable wattage and attenuater would probably make me use The rockerverb series amps more often. I use my MKII but not a lot mostly because of the wattage. I'm not a fan of external attenuaters or power soaks I feel they steal some of the mojo IMO....so going that route with the MKII is not an option for me personally.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges