Love the Rocker, will I like a Rockerverb mk II?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Love the Rocker, will I like a Rockerverb mk II?

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri May 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey guys, I've been a long time user of the Rocker 30 head, love it. Only Orange I've ever owned and the only Orange I really have much experience with. For me, when I plug my '93 Les Paul Standard with a Burstbucker II in the bridge into the Rocker 30 with EHX EL 34s, a cabinet thats got some nice broken in V30s, hit the Dirty channel, I'm done. Maybe add an OCD, phaser and a delay for the odd bits here and there...you get the idea. It doesn't really NEED any of those pedals though to make it sound good.

Lately I got in a new band, sorta a cross between a poor man's Baroness and Kyuss/early QOTSA. The Rocker 30 just does not cut it volume wise at practice thru a 4x12. At 11 0'clock on the Dirty volume its pretty much out of headroom. Also I really need a way to get a true volume boost to cut through the muck, as I play all the leads. Started using my Ceriatone Silver Jubilee clone (100 watter I run at 50 watts) and.....I dunno, just cant seem to get that amp dialed in to my satisfaction, and its nothing like the Rocker 30 tonewise. However that amp has plenty of headroom and an FX loop for my boost pedal, so I like the lead tones I can get, but the rhythm tone is too muddy.

Sooooo, I'm seriously considering ordering a Rockerverb 50 mkII head, I can get one new for a stupid deal that is almost too good to pass up. None of the stores around me even have one to try out, so long post made short, who "upgraded" from a Rocker 30 to a Rockerverb 50 (or 100 for that matter), and are you happy? I know they are different circuits. If the Rocker 30 is my holy grail tone, will the Rockerverb get me in the ballpark gain and tonewise? Will I feel at home? I would sure love to have an Orange with an FX loop, and more headroom than the Rocker, but with that Rocker attitude and BALLS :lol:. Reverb and the full EQ on the clean channel would be added bonuses.

I've read some complaints over on the Gear Page forum of users saying they can't cut through a band mix with a Rockerverb, but that forum is full of mostly haters and John Mayer wannabes anyway so.... :roll:
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Love the Rocker, will I like a Rockerverb mk II?

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 am

Not enough volume? Good lord!!! Are you running with gain a bit lower? I usually run the gain around 1300, and it makes my ears bleed.

IME no. You will not like the RV50, they are not even close to the same sound amp. I had the RV100 for just about 7 years and it was always difficult to work with. As soon as I bought a R30 head, the RV100 became a dust collector. I liked the R30 so much, I traded my RV100 head for a new R30 combo. I would say if you can find a RV50MK1, it might be worth checking out, as it's quite different to it's EL34 brothers/sisters.

Have you considered an always on clean boost to bring up the volume level on both channels?

If you are officially jonzin' for a RV, then I would say check out the MKIII, or the OR100. They are both way more versatile with their wattage switching options.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat May 23, 2015 6:03 am

Very different amp's tone wise and sound character however that's not to say you wouldn't love the RV but it is smoother and less ballsey.

I used a R30 for several years and now use an RV 50 Mk11 for me it's just much more versatile and does everything I need
But it's not for everyone - so it's a bit of a risk if you can't get to try one

The forum u looked at is partially right about the RV cutting through, I've found past gain past 1 o'clock it can struggle to cut through a band mix - although gain for me is kept around 11 o'clock so no problem. The R30 imo cuts through better.

If I were u I'd try it with an MXR microamp first before you'd do anything else to see if that works.

So decisions, decisions! !
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat May 23, 2015 8:01 am

Any way the rest of your band could play quieter :O

I know... it's a novel concept :)

I honestly wen't from nearly writing off Orange all together (thanks to my RV100), to absolutely loving it. Where the RV series isn't as punchy, raw, or in your face as the R30, I think it excels big time at the down tuned, muddy, power chord, sludgy stuff. It has a low mid presence that makes it perfect for this kind of thing. Don't expect much clarity at higher gain however. If the price is too good to be true, might as well pick it up. You can always re-sell it if you want. No amount of testing in a music store, or at home will tell you how well it will work at practice/live.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 23, 2015 9:53 am

You may do..... You may Not!
I'm not a big fan of the rocker30 myself, but love the smoother, warmer RV50.

What worries me is that if you are after more volume, you may find the RV50 will have very little extra oomph compared to the R30. It isn't a big difference.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat May 23, 2015 10:16 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:You may do..... You may Not!
I'm not a big fan of the rocker30 myself, but love the smoother, warmer RV50.

What worries me is that if you are after more volume, you may find the RV50 will have very little extra oomph compared to the R30. It isn't a big difference.
+1

I'd go for a RV100.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 am

IMO probably not. The volume difference will be minimal and the RV.50 being more compressed may well not cut through as well as the (for a 30 watter very) punchy R.30.

Probably need more watts, a different model (?OR) or both. IMO anyway.

Is the 4x12 you were practicing with the same one with well broken in V.30s you mentioned?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Sat May 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Yeah, the rest of the band may have to just turn down, our bassist got a new Bugera bass head, the Nuke, and it's like 1800 watts or something ridiculous. Our drummer really isn't that loud. I am using my Framus 4x12 w V30s at practice.

I think I might go with my original plan and just get the Badcat Unleash, to give the Rocker a bit more headroom and a switchable volume boost.

That OR100 is tempting though, and they are on sale right now too :wink: Sounds like I'd like that better than a Rockerverb.

Thanks again guys, the last thing I want is to order an amp without playing it and realize that it doesn't cut through.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat May 23, 2015 4:42 pm

I'd love to hear some opinions on how the OR100 compares to the Rocker 30. I played a Rocker 30 once a long time ago and loved it, but it was too long ago for me to know how the OR might be different in tone.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat May 23, 2015 5:15 pm

The OR has a thicker, more fuzzy tone compared to the Rocker. More compressed on higher gain settings as well. The Rocker has outstanding dynamics and sounds fantastic though I prefer the OR100. I sold my Rocker combo mostly because I wanted the head instead. But I didn't find any in decent shape so I bought some other amps instead. I can't say I really miss it though I might consider buying the right item if it shows up in front of me.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Cool. I vaguely remember the Rocker having a real growl to the tone. I compared it to a RV50mkII, and I thought the Rocker sounded thicker and punchier. I didn't buy the R30 because it was the combo, but I kind of regret that I passed on it.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 23, 2015 8:20 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:Cool. I vaguely remember the Rocker having a real growl to the tone. I compared it to a RV50mkII, and I thought the Rocker sounded thicker and punchier. I didn't buy the R30 because it was the combo, but I kind of regret that I passed on it.

Yeah, the R30 is quite brash, raw, in your face sounding when you're in the same room.
The RV50 dirty channel is very compressed, and sooooo much smoother. Not that's can't do ac dc type grind - it pulls that off beautifuly, it's just a very different amp.

The clean channel on the RV50 is such a thing a beauty too. Totally different to the dirty channel, uncompressed, you can get massive variation in volume with your picking, and when set to OD volume, it's so easy to play clean or dirty depending on your attack. And that beautiful reverb...... (And mine is the crazy MKI reverb..... I think the bestest ever reverb in like the whole world. But I might be slightly biased.......)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:And that beautiful reverb...... (And mine is the crazy MKI reverb..... I think the bestest ever reverb in like the whole world. But I might be slightly biased.......)
Biased is fine! 8)

Glad it does it for you. Personally since fitting the right (6K6) valve to my Fender '63RI tank I think that it is the best thing since sweaty cheese, real butter and homemade jam on French baguettes, which I also like a whole lot. Having said that the Fender isn't light years better than decent digital reverbs. Even sliced cheese and factory jam on sliced bread can taste pretty damn yum to me! :lol:
apocalypsedude wrote:I think I might go with my original plan and just get the Badcat Unleash, to give the Rocker a bit more headroom and a switchable volume boost.
With the right cab for the Unleash that should be a great option. Though TBH if it was me and the R.30 through a good 4x12 wasn't loud enough I'd be talking to the rest of the band first. What is important to them - being really freaking loud or actually sounding any good? Though it may feel great on stage beyond a certain point the two really don't go together...

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

WALKEN
Tiny Terror

Post by WALKEN » Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 am

Lose the V30's and get more efficient speakers if you want more clarity and volume. V30 are 100db try finding over 100db. Comparing watts is somewhat meaningless in terms of volume.

Scott Grove will tell ya, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FAizdqIa-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 am

100dB (Celestion rating) is efficient! There aren't many much higher than that, especially when you realise that this is about equivalent to an 102dB Eminence rating. Comparing ratings between different speaker manufacturers is somewhat meaningless in terms of volume. :wink:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... st-2989563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only Celestions I can think of which were much above 100dB were the discontinued (non vintage) Century and the old Sidewinder.

I've seen that Scott Grove guy before somewhere. Excuse me if I ignore him totally. :lol:

Andy.