Anyone built a Warmoth guitar?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WALKEN
Tiny Terror

Re: Anyone built a Warmoth guitar?

Post by WALKEN » Wed May 06, 2015 1:54 am

misterfolkertsma wrote:
WALKEN wrote:Measure your favorite guitars nut/neck profile, radius ...
What's the easiest way to do all of the above?

Start by measuring the nut with a machinist ruler or a dial caliper. 1 5/8th is the tiniest Warmoth offers, it has that "old ladys wrist" feel. 1 11/16th is the norm. Radius can be 7.5, 9.5, 12, or a compound radius of 12-16.. The nice thing about compound radius is it allows you to have some roundness at the lower end of the neck for cording and it gets flatter as you climb to the soloing area where you have a very flat surface to allow very low action... Remember if you choose a 7.5 radius when you are soloing up high you will need your action to sit high to not fret out on high bending.

Then consider the thickness of your neck (neck profile) Fat, C shape, U shape, slim tapered etc... You can use a dial caliper to measure the thickness.

Also consider what frets you like- jumbo, medium jumbo so on etc...

As far as Warmoths necks go they are have always been level in terms of fret work in my dealings with them, finished or unfinished.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am

WALKEN wrote:
misterfolkertsma wrote:
WALKEN wrote:Measure your favorite guitars nut/neck profile, radius ...
What's the easiest way to do all of the above?
Start by measuring the nut with a machinist ruler or a dial caliper. 1 5/8th is the tiniest Warmoth offers, it has that "old ladys wrist" feel. 1 11/16th is the norm. Radius can be 7.5, 9.5, 12, or a compound radius of 12-16.. The nice thing about compound radius is it allows you to have some roundness at the lower end of the neck for cording and it gets flatter as you climb to the soloing area where you have a very flat surface to allow very low action... Remember if you choose a 7.5 radius when you are soloing up high you will need your action to sit high to not fret out on high bending.

Then consider the thickness of your neck (neck profile) Fat, C shape, U shape, slim tapered etc... You can use a dial caliper to measure the thickness.

Also consider what frets you like- jumbo, medium jumbo so on etc...

As far as Warmoths necks go they are have always been level in terms of fret work in my dealings with them, finished or unfinished.
@Andy, any chance you know what these tools are called in Dutch?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:@Andy, any chance you know what these tools are called in Dutch?
Probably a 'Schuifmaat', or just ask for a micrometer. Digital or dial, doesn't really matter.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuifmaat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alsjeblieft! :)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 pm

a.hun wrote:
misterfolkertsma wrote:@Andy, any chance you know what these tools are called in Dutch?
Probably a 'Schuifmaat', or just ask for a micrometer. Digital or dial, doesn't really matter.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuifmaat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alsjeblieft! :)

Andy.
Don't you mean "Snellevlees"?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 09, 2015 7:36 am

Randy Bass wrote: Don't you mean "Snellevlees"?
Not that I'm aware of. But then sometimes even I don't know what I mean. :? :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:30 am

You see an awful lot of ugly Warmoth's, especially on the used market. I think this has somewhat given Warmoth a bad image for people. However, it's certainly not their fault but rather the fault of people with horrible taste and not knowing what they want in a guitar to be permitted to built fully custom axes. Warmoth has recently reduced down their number of wonky body styles and is really starting to refine their image now it seems.

Anyway, I've own a Warmoth or two and actually plan to be building a body in the next month or so for a new aluminum neck I just had custom built. Their quality of materials is superb, the fit and finish of their guitars is also really fantastic and on par with any expensive name-brand builder... maybe even better.

Here is a "Burgundy Mist" Jazzmaster with a Fender neck I played for awhile. It honestly played better than ALL of my other guitars. I regret selling it.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:33 pm

0000 wrote: Anyway, I've own a Warmoth or two and actually plan to be building a body in the next month or so for a new aluminum neck I just had custom built.
You getting one of the Bastin necks?
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue May 12, 2015 2:31 pm

I've built a couple and have been happy with them. The Tele Thinline hasn't ever gotten much love from me but that's because for the last 18 years I've only known how to get a good sound out of single coil guitars. My short comings, not the guitars. The Strat is a chambered mahogany body and I would put it up to any mass produced Strat out there. Sounds great!

But everything everyone else has said +1

Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:
0000 wrote: Anyway, I've own a Warmoth or two and actually plan to be building a body in the next month or so for a new aluminum neck I just had custom built.
You getting one of the Bastin necks?
Yes! So stoked for it. Building a solid maple Jazzmaster body in Shoreline-Gold. Similar to the photo below, but going with two chrome P90's soapbars instead of humbuckers, single volume knob and 3-way switch.

-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Wed May 13, 2015 4:57 pm

I've done several setups on guitars with Warmoth necks. They are great. One thing to keep in mind is that they don't level the frets on the necks after they are built. The necks are built so consistently, though, that you likely won't need fret dressing. I think maybe one out of ten Warmoth necks I've seen needed frets leveled.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V