th100 and th30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

th100 and th30

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't think their has been much on this topic. There is alot more information out on this forum and elsewhere about the Th30 etc.... Not alot of talk of the Th100.

I assume that the tone is exactly the same, but just different power options. But is there anyone that actually has experience with the two....???? Do they sound exactly the same

Does the TH100 clean channel sound as good as the Th30...

Does the Th100 have the same fizzy character when the gain is past 12 or 1 oclock??

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: th100 and th30

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:07 pm

I've not used a th100...... But While the clean channels may be based on the Rv50s ( I'm sure the clean channels on both will sound lovely) the tone can't be exactly the same - they use different types of valves for starters, th30 clean channel will break up much earlier and then when u throw in the variations of tone when the power scaling is used.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I've not used a th100...... But While the clean channels may be based on the Rv50s ( I'm sure the clean channels on both will sound lovely) the tone can't be exactly the same - they use different types of valves for starters, th30 clean channel will break up much earlier and then when u throw in the variations of tone when the power scaling is used.

I would definitely like to try a TH100 you don't hear much about them. being able to go from 100, to 70 to 30 seems like awesome capabilities. The OR100 does that also but is considerably more expensive.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm

I have the TH100, and while I haven't tried the TH30, I can definitely vouch for the TH100.

The clean channel on the TH100 sounds great. Very pristine, starts breaking up with power tube distortion when the volume is rolled past 1 o'clock.

The distortion on channel 2 is not in anyway fizzy, unless you dial out all the mid range by rolling the shape knob all the way to the right. Then it's all treble and bass, very scooped. But I think it remains all it's character in all the settings. I'm just not real good friends with the shape knob, and would upgrade to an OR100 if I had the money, to get the 3-band EQ on the dirty channel.

A thing about the TH100 is that it's hard to beat being able to go from 30 to 100 watts and get an FX loop at that price, in an all-tube amp.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 pm

jesperbc wrote:I have the TH100, and while I haven't tried the TH30, I can definitely vouch for the TH100.

The clean channel on the TH100 sounds great. Very pristine, starts breaking up with power tube distortion when the volume is rolled past 1 o'clock.

The distortion on channel 2 is not in anyway fizzy, unless you dial out all the mid range by rolling the shape knob all the way to the right. Then it's all treble and bass, very scooped. But I think it remains all it's character in all the settings. I'm just not real good friends with the shape knob, and would upgrade to an OR100 if I had the money, to get the 3-band EQ on the dirty channel.

A thing about the TH100 is that it's hard to beat being able to go from 30 to 100 watts and get an FX loop at that price, in an all-tube amp.

Good info. I had the TH30 for a brief minute but traded it in for a rocker 30. I did not hate the th30, I just went for the rocker because it was what I wanted to begin with. But literally not long after I got the opportunity to get a Th100 for about the same price.... Its always left me scratching my head... I am not dissatisfied with the rocker, but it would be nice to have the more headroom for bigger venues etc. So the Th100 would be a cool option to those that cannot afford the RV100 or the OR100

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:05 am

jesperbc wrote:I have the TH100, and while I haven't tried the TH30, I can definitely vouch for the TH100.

I've had my TH100 since March of 2012. And although I've not played the TH30, jesperbc is 100% accurate in describing the TH100.

But I must say, I do get along with the shape knob very well.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

thinspirits77
Tiny Terror

Post by thinspirits77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:36 am

I have played a TH30 head and TH30 combo, I actually ordered a TH30 at my local store and received a TH100 instead due to a mix up. I'm very satisfied with the sound of the TH100. It seems beefier than the TH30 did, probably a result of the different output valves. I exclusively run mine with 4 output valves at half power through a PPC212 closed back. It is great for the hard rock/metal tone that I use (not scooped or super high gain though, about 12:30-1 o'clock on both the shape and the gain). I can also get a nice classic rock lead tone with a little delay/reverb in the loop and backing off on the gain. Clean channel never breaks up for me at any level that is tolerable to listen to. That is the benefit of being able to run at 35/50/70/100 watts instead of 7/15/30. Tons of clean headroom with this amp. And I haven't had any problems using pedals with this amp either. The downside is if you want to be able to crank the clean channel for a crunch tone, I bet the 7W mode of the TH30 breaks up nice and fast...

As for the shape knob, I really don't mind it. I never really liked fussing with EQ and I think there is enough usable area of the sweep that it doesn't leave me wanting a 3 band.
http://www.reverbnation.com/evolutionprotocol
Orange TH100
Orange PPC212

Yamaha AES820s
MXR Flanger|TC Alter Ego|TC Hall of Fame|Boss Tremolo

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:56 pm

thinspirits77 wrote:I have played a TH30 head and TH30 combo, I actually ordered a TH30 at my local store and received a TH100 instead due to a mix up. I'm very satisfied with the sound of the TH100. It seems beefier than the TH30 did, probably a result of the different output valves. I exclusively run mine with 4 output valves at half power through a PPC212 closed back. It is great for the hard rock/metal tone that I use (not scooped or super high gain though, about 12:30-1 o'clock on both the shape and the gain). I can also get a nice classic rock lead tone with a little delay/reverb in the loop and backing off on the gain. Clean channel never breaks up for me at any level that is tolerable to listen to. That is the benefit of being able to run at 35/50/70/100 watts instead of 7/15/30. Tons of clean headroom with this amp. And I haven't had any problems using pedals with this amp either. The downside is if you want to be able to crank the clean channel for a crunch tone, I bet the 7W mode of the TH30 breaks up nice and fast...

As for the shape knob, I really don't mind it. I never really liked fussing with EQ and I think there is enough usable area of the sweep that it doesn't leave me wanting a 3 band.

When I did have the TH30 I totally felt like the shape knob was fine. I like a lot of mids so I kept it about 9 oclock and the gain at about noon or 1 oclock. Past that it was not good, too much ...... The clean was great, like a hiwatt. The Rocker 30 came to me because I got an opportunity to have it for the same price, It sounds great and I am totally happy. But the Th100 definitely seems to be an amp that more people should maybe have focus on. It seems to be in the shadows of the other Orange line, Everyone seems to like the Rv series, the OR series etc. And I think the 30 watt line (rocker, Th30, and Ad30) seem to be more affordable on the used market, so there are more of these out there. The Th100 seems like it should be an amp that more people should be talking about more.

Slartibartfarst42
Tiny Terror

Post by Slartibartfarst42 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm

I have a TH30 and the main reasons I wouldn't look at a TH100 would be cost and the fact that the last thing I need now is more volume! I was at band practise last night and I had it set to 15w with the volume on about 25% and the rest of the band were asking me to turn down. In fairness, I was running an EQ pedal in the loop which boosted the volume a bit and this amp really seems to cut through the mix well which might have given the impression of more volume. It's a beast of an amp :twisted:

On that fizziness issue, I have two observations:

1) Changing out the preamp valves to highgrade TAD items made a huge difference. Not only is the tone a lot better but you can push the gain more before encountering any fizz.

2) I have no idea why because I don't understand the technical side of amps at all but running an EQ pedal in the loop makes a huge difference. I don't bother with it at home but when I'm out with the band I have an EQ engaged all the time and a second one used as a boost for solos. The Shape knob works fine but using an EQ pedal makes it a lot more articulate and more open sounding. It certainly allows me to push the gain further, though I leave it at 11 o' clock and use overdrives.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 with Creamery Double Six and '59 pickups
Fender Stratocaster with DiMarzio Virtual Solo, Area 58 and Area 61 pickups
Orange TH30
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Hardwire Overdrive
Nova System

thinspirits77
Tiny Terror

Post by thinspirits77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I think some of the "hate" that the TH amps get comes from the PRC tag. I can't afford to buy a Rockerverb or an OR100, and my band isn't serious enough to justify spending the money just because I want one. I had an opportunity to get my TH100 at a ridiculous price so I bought it. Most important thing is that I tried it out, played a riff from one of my band's songs and the tone was exactly what I wanted it to be. PRC or not, it sounds good to me.
Slartibartfarst42 wrote:I was at band practise last night and I had it set to 15w with the volume on about 25% and the rest of the band were asking me to turn down.
I remember when I was first looking into the TH30 reading some posts online about people who couldn't get enough volume and couldn't hear themselves at practice. I still haven't been able to figure out how that is even remotely possible (they must have either had problems with the amp or where scooping it completely and cranking the gain). Like I mentioned before, I run my amp at half power and I never HAVE TO push it past 930/10 to be heard. Sometimes I do just to open it up a bit, especially since I'm currently the only guitarist in the band so I'm not having volume wars with anyone and no one could ever drown out our drummer. Orange amps are loud.
http://www.reverbnation.com/evolutionprotocol
Orange TH100
Orange PPC212

Yamaha AES820s
MXR Flanger|TC Alter Ego|TC Hall of Fame|Boss Tremolo

jay-red

Post by jay-red » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:41 am

I cant figure out how anyone says that the th30 isnt loud enough! The clean channel at 9 o'clock is about as loud as you would need before you would get mic'd anyway, and I bet the sound guy would tell you to turn it down.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:15 am

thinspirits77 wrote:I think some of the "hate" that the TH amps get comes from the PRC tag....
I agree with that. Owning myself a TH100, I'm sure the exact same amp with a "made in uk" tag would change everything for many people.
The TH100 delivers the best clean tone possible, and a wide and efficient dirt channel.
If they could add a built in reverb, the TH would be perfect.

The other issue is it's difficult to try one for real in a store. It's more common to find a Rockerverb or OR than a TH100..

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Now I want a TH100

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

kpunk56 wrote:Now I want a TH100
trade for rocker 30 anyone anyone lol

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:10 pm

I can't comment on the TH30, as I've never played one. I'd imagine it's like a Dark Terror with a clean channel and twice as many EL84s.

I've just recently sold my TH100 and replaced it with the DD50. I absolutely loved the TH100, and it served me well for about 2 years of shows, practice and recording. I spent most of my time on the dirty channel, but the clean channel is also excellent. The effects loop is great, and the clean channel takes pedals pretty well.

Channel B on the DD50 is pretty much the same as on the TH100 (awesome :twisted: ), but Channel A is much more versatile. It can go from clean to being just as dirty as Channel B. It's got a fuller sound than the clean channel on the TH100, and I've been adding just enough gain to get that nice "edge of breakup" tone for my cleans. You could use either channel on the DD50 as a clean channel, or vice versa, or run 2 different levels of dirt, etc.

The China vs UK issue is not something I put too much stock in. I enjoyed the hell out of my TH100 and I paid about half what the DD50 cost. It's a versatile, bang for your buck amp and it's plenty LOUD. The DD50 does benefit from having more robust transformers (Demeter I believe). The DD50 is also much quiter overall and slightly more articulate. If I were to nitpick, the only minor issues with the TH100 were:

1.) The tolex was not applied as well as the UK amps appear to be, and it started to bubble some on the rear and the corners started to lift a little. For full disclosure, I did keep the amp in a basement, but there was always a dehumidifier running. I've seen the same issue on other TH100s being posted for sale.
2.) It could be a little noisy, especially on the dirty channel when you weren't playing. There was an audible hum/hiss that the DD50 doesn't appear to have.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the TH30 or the TH100. I think you'd find that the clean channel on the TH100 is just as good, if not better, than the TH30. Just don't expect it to break up without a pedal. The TH100 does also get a little fizzy past 1 o'clock, but there's plenty of useful stuff up to that point. I ran all 3 knobs on the dirty channel at about 1 o'clock most often.
Last edited by thelatrobe33 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C