Silently(ish) recording - iso cab or cab sim?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Re: Silently(ish) recording - iso cab or cab sim?

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 am

I just began recording, usually ran my amps through a PPC212OB and had the whole thing miced up. Problem is the loudness... What really caught my attention with these units is the possibility to do it quietly. Plus, they seem to be a good alternative to play my tube amps without disturbing the neighbours... The Torpedo Live and Rivera RockCrusher Recording sound amazing...

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 am

I mean recording device. Multitrack hardware or computer software.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:29 am

Oh, sorry. A pre sonus audiobox into Mac (logic and GarageBand)

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 am

I highly recommend you check out amplitube. I think the software is free then you only have to buy what amps/cabs and effects you want. Might not sound as good as the torpedo, but I think it sounds way better than the cab clone and even an ISO cab. You can play with room size, mics and placement etc... The Orange models are REALLY good. If you get a dummy load for your amp you could probably run it into a cab sim on it, although Ive never tried.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 am

I have amplitude, and yes, orange models are surprisingly good. But I was going for something that would allow me to play and record my amps, you know? Thanks a lot for the help man! Cheers

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 pm

I have a cab clone. I didn't get along to well with it at first but then I added an EQ to my chain and used to it to boost the highs. That made a huge difference. Using a reverb with around 100ms predelay also helps. It is still not as good as a mic'd speaker but it is close enough for late night practicing and song writing. It also sounds better when a speaker cabinet is hooked up to it (which kind of defeats the purpose). I haven't tried the torpedo but there is such a huge price difference. I don't really think that's a fair comparison. Either way I think most people will still wind up using a mic'd cabinet for serious recording. Cab sims are getting better but nothing is quite as good as the real thing. Strangely enough the cab clone sounds really great with heavy fuzz tones even without the EQ. I've never been able to get my fuzz sounds to sound the way I want using standard cabinet mics. Now I use a mix of the cab clone and mics and it sounds pretty darn good.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 pm

I have amplitude, and yes, orange models are surprisingly good. But I was going for something that would allow me to play and record my amps, you know? Thanks a lot for the help man! Cheers
Hmm, maybe I am doing something wrong. I have the Ampiltube rocker and ad30 models but have never liked them. The dynamics always felt really fake to me. I do use Ampiltube for bass. The bass models always seemed to sound better than the guitar amps.

IMO the THR10 is so much better than any of the software VST's or the line 6 stuff. Just wish the Orange and Yamaha could get together and make an all Orange THR10. That would be fantastic.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:26 am

You have to spend time setting them up to sound right. I find headphone type make a big difference too and the Interface

scottlynn73

Post by scottlynn73 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:07 am

Palmer ADIG unit. Impossible to get a bad sound out of it, sounded way better than the Orange pack on Amplitube, used it to track a whole EP recently, very good reason its a pro staple on tours!
Blood of the Mother is my dark and doomy psych band.

I use:
Thunderverb 200
Simms Watts 412 (Hot 100s, Swamp Thangs)
OB1-500
Hoffnine 215 (Delta 300s)
Yamaha SG1000
Yamaha Lord Player