Who here has a 2x10?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Who here has a 2x10?

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:51 pm

I've been using my Tiny Terror with a PPC212, which of course sounds great, but this cabinet is too large for the room it's in. I'm going to put the 2x12 in the practice room and pair it with another amp, then get a smaller can for the Tiny Terror. The options are both closed back, 1x12 or 2x10? I'm used to Vintage 30s, but I'm considering maybe a 2x10 for some new flavors, with Eminence Ramrods. I play music along the lines of Diossaur Jr., decent amount of gain but nothing insane. What would a 2x10 with Ramrods do for me compared to a 1x12 Vintage 30? Could it bring me chime out of the Tiny Terror? This amp is used for general songwriting and recording demos.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Who here has a 2x10?

Post by DiabloS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:00 pm

I gigged with a 2X10 for a while, the Ramrods are really good speakers but I wouldn't say they're really bright or chimey. A popular combo is to mix the Ramrod with a Ragin Cajun, that's what I ended up doing. If I were to compare I'd say the ramrod is more greenback flavored while the Ragin Cajun sounds more like a V30.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Re: Who here has a 2x10?

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:07 pm

fwiw, I played an ampwith an emimence 10' 9maybe a ramrod) and it was not the same amp being played with an
12" Oxford. Really the 10' was unbelievable... like a great alnico in overall forwardness and lack of nasal quality.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:02 pm

The Ramrod 2x10 is my preference with the TT and has been for the last 3-4 years. I would agree with the above that it doesn't really add any chime to the TT but I think that is more to do with the TTs voicing. I haven't compared a V30 to the Ramrods in a long time so I can't speak to that comparison. I've never really cared for the V30 though. Oh, if you don't like the Ramrods right out of the box they can be a bit shrill but that goes away if you break them in. Once they're broken in they sound great!

Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:37 pm

That 2x10 cab is sexy.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Had an Avatar 2x10 for a long time which was great with all the Oranges I owned. Had a celestion greenback and Celestion vintage in it which was a nice pairing. Been wanting to try Ramrods. I'd take a 2x10 over a 1x12.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:The Ramrod 2x10 is my preference with the TT and has been for the last 3-4 years. I would agree with the above that it doesn't really add any chime to the TT but I think that is more to do with the TTs voicing. I haven't compared a V30 to the Ramrods in a long time so I can't speak to that comparison. I've never really cared for the V30 though. Oh, if you don't like the Ramrods right out of the box they can be a bit shrill but that goes away if you break them in. Once they're broken in they sound great!

Do you happen to have any clips of that beauty?

I'm probably going to get one from Avatar if I go the 2x10 route since it's roughly the same size as an Orange 1x12, and is wide enough to use full-size Oranges too.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Forgot to mention, when looking at buying Eminence speakers they have sound clips of every one on their website, Overdrive and Heavier tones. I downloaded them all for playing them quickly back to back to hear the subtle differences. It's proven to very helpful in making my decisions. I even recorded the Ramrod and Ragin Cajun on my own separately and compared it to the Eminence website clips. They're really accurate.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Randy Bass wrote:That 2x10 cab is sexy.
Thanks man. I appreciate that.
Spaceboy1 wrote: Do you happen to have any clips of that beauty?

I'm probably going to get one from Avatar if I go the 2x10 route since it's roughly the same size as an Orange 1x12, and is wide enough to use full-size Oranges too.
No clips as of right now but I do have everything set to do some recording today so I might be able to put some together by this evening.

It's a closed back for now but I'm tempted to either open the back or port the baffle. Does anyone know if there are proper (mathematical to the volume of the cab) ways to port the baffle or just cut a hole?
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Ok, I took a quick sound clip of the Tiny Terror and Ramrods titled TinyTerrorRamrodsmix. I used a PRS SESH with Seymour Duncan P-Rails on the bridge P90 setting straight into the amp. I added just a slight amount of reverb to the room recording since it's recorded dry.

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand
Jake
"One of the 400"

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 am

Well maybe my clip completely turned everyone off of the 2x10 cab idea! :lol:
Jake
"One of the 400"

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 am

Yikes, I completely missed these responses somehow. That sounds great, actually a bit more bass presence than I was expecting from a 10" speaker, and doesn't sound "small amp" at all. Thanks so much for taking the time to record and post the clip for me, it's a huge help.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 am

:lol:

No prob. I will agree that the Ramrods do keep up with most 12" speakers in terms of low end and punch. Glad it could help!
Jake
"One of the 400"

deadduck
Rocker

Post by deadduck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:58 pm

I play a matchless Lightning clone in a real 1996 Matchless 2x10 combo cabinet. I have plugged my TT in through that cabinet. It sounds good. I'm not real sure what speakers Matchless was using at the time, I think they are some sort of Celestions, with Matchless labels.

You can get a sort of Voxy chime out of a TT if you try. I replaced V1 with a NOS JAN GE 5751, it lowers gain a bit and is more chimey than any 12ax7. I also replaced V2 with a Mullard CV4024 which smooths out the overdrive a lot. Then I hit it up front with an eq pedal with high mids boosted. Tone knob about 2:00. Then I play it through a 1x12 with a Weber Blue Dog.

This set up works well for classic rock, southern rock, 90's rock and stuff like Tom Petty, U2, REM.
Keith

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:47 pm

I don't know, I use a 1x10" with my Micro Terror nowadays. I have tried a 4x10", didn't like it with my Micro Terror because it got weird in the midrange and no way to turn the mids down. No idea about a 2x10". Speaker choice and cab size will also have some effect no doubt.