Anybody using two 2x12s

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Anybody using two 2x12s

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 am

Actually I think Billy you might be ......

So Ive had my 2x12Ob for ages but recently Ive been toying with the idea of using both my TT HW and RV50 together at gigs ....TT for dirty rhythm, RV for cleans and lead bits. The TT sounds so good its just got to be used in public!

Now locally, a secong hand 2x12 OB (converted to closed back) which appears to have been gathering dust in someones shed for a while, has come up for sale for a decent price , so it may be time to move on my idea..

TT into two 2x12s or one amp each into its own Cab. Its really peaked my interest. :D
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

thejay
Orange Expert

Re: Anybody using two 2x12s

Post by thejay » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:25 pm

I have thought about this as well... well running two 2x12s off my RV but I haven't due to having a stock 2x12OB with V30s and a 2x12OB I built with Greenbacks... issue is the V30s is 16ohm and GB cab is 8ohm. Not sure if i can run them both to the 8ohm inputs and it would be "safe".

At any rate, I say go for it!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Yopu gotta do something to make it all work correctly ohms wise..... IMO.... change something, maybe take out a speaker from a 2x12 (which can sound pretty great IMO). LIke if you have the two 16ohms speakers running in parallel for 8 ohms, take outone of your 8 ohm speakers running in parrallel withe the other 8ohm to make your cab 8 ohm like the other one (if feasible). One nice speaker in a 2x12 cna make an impressive thump with no off tones from other speakers (IMO). I have a scuminico and a blue in a closed back AVATAR and I don't think they sound as good for the dynamics I'm after as they do separate...I like having the scumnico loud on top when the cab is standing on end to get some feedback I'm after. They don't sound bad together, but there is something that just doesnt blend (to my ear) in a way that makes them better together. Though when I hook up both 2x12 cabs (all speakers running) I have to say the TT it gives a pretty girthy rumble.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm

I use two 212 cabs with my ad30. each one is 16 ohm. an orange ob212 and a mesa vertical slant (i changed the speakers in the mesa so it would be 16 instead of 8) it's a lot of fun. Tested using two amps which was quite fun, just didn't have the cash to pay for the amp and pedals that would make it so enjoyable. 2 cabs are more annoying to transport than 1, but easier than one 412.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:So Ive had my 2x12Ob for ages but recently Ive been toying with the idea of using both my TT HW and RV50 together at gigs ....TT for dirty rhythm, RV for cleans and lead bits. The TT sounds so good its just got to be used in public!

Now locally, a secong hand 2x12 OB (converted to closed back) which appears to have been gathering dust in someones shed for a while, has come up for sale for a decent price , so it may be time to move on my idea..

TT into two 2x12s or one amp each into its own Cab. Its really peaked my interest. :D
I'd check the speakers - you want to see two 8 ohm ones series wired for 16 ohms total. If so go for it. Yeah either one amp into both cabs (@ 8 ohms) or each amp into a separate cab.
thejay wrote:I have thought about this as well... well running two 2x12s off my RV but I haven't due to having a stock 2x12OB with V30s and a 2x12OB I built with Greenbacks... issue is the V30s is 16ohm and GB cab is 8ohm. Not sure if i can run them both to the 8ohm inputs and it would be "safe".
It would be safe-ish. The combined impedance would be 5.333 ohms. That run from the amp's 8 ohm output is a moderate (33%) low direction mismatch, not too extreme. All that will happen (apart from slight tonal shifts and reduction power output) is that the power valves will be run a bit harder so wear quicker. The increased effective sensitivity with the extra speakers should offset the slight power reduction.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 pm

yep i run two 2x12s

both of my cabs are 16 ohms mono switchable to 4 ohms mono (so my fender twin reverb head can use it) and also 8 ohm stereo.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 am

ya...

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXWPemjhUCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:18 pm

I would go with a 2x12 for each amp and get a decent ABY pedal to switch between amps.