Orange crush users

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Orange crush users

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:55 pm

Are there any crush users that have both a solid state orange and a tube orange, Thoughts on how much better is the tube one in all honesty.

I played one of the Crush 60 watt ones at guitar center and was really blown away. I am really thinking about getting rid of my tube one. The thought of having an amp sound that good and the reliability has me pondering.

Even if I stick with my tube gear, I might want one in the future just to have, because of the affordability.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Re: Orange crush users

Post by RickenBangler » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi kpunk...

Aaah - when you said 'crush users' I immediately thought of the practice amp range. The CR60 and CR120 are different beasts altogether and as you've already discovered, they behave and feel much more like a tube amp. I've had a couple of Orange tube amps (and Marshall before that) and now I use a CR60. I don't think it's a question of which one is better but more which one suits you and your music best.

If, like you said, you were blown away... well that's a good gut reaction right there :)

If my gear feels right and sounds right to me, I couldn't care a toss what sort of capacitor is in my guitar or whether it has a nitro finish prepared with the tears of wood nymphs. These things are just tools we use to get the job done and if they feel and sound good to you, then trust your own judgement and rock out.

I miss the smell of warm tubes but I love the consistency and versatility of the CR60. It requires no maintenance and is very accomodating to the wildly fluctuating mains voltage where I live. No idea if this is of any help at all and the usual caveat applies - YMMV.

Rb
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 am

I'm have a Crush 20 preordered. I understand the new Crush series to have the same preamp as the Crush Pro, which is based on a Rockerverb. So, I'll be comparing it to my own Rockerverb, which is my main amp.

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:34 am

Check out the threads linked below:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BlackArrow

Post by BlackArrow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:28 am

As an owner of both a valvy TH-30h and a recent ss CR120h, I can tell you that i'm planning to sell my TH-30h ....
I now play the CR120 for rehearsals and gigs and the sound of this powerfull head is awesome !!! It handles my pedals (fuzz, phaser) very well either in front or through its effect loop. The guys at Orange did an impressive work, congrats !

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

In my book you can't replace a good valve amp (in sound and feel). I love my CR120C though I'd never get rid of my big tube heads. I can understand those who consider the Crush Pro series as a worthy replacement but I'm not there yet...
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

thinspirits77
Tiny Terror

Post by thinspirits77 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm

What "tube gear" do you have? How often do you play live/practice?

I have a TH100 and I use it fairly sparingly so I'm not that worried about tube failure. I also plan to get something smaller as an emergency backup in the future, once my band is done recording and is looking to play live again.

The only thing I'd give up my TH100 for is a Thunderverb or Rockerverb, and even if I could get one of those I'd probably still keep it. That said, I guess if you really liked the Crush Pro 60 then does it really matter what we think? It is getting great reviews and it's affordable and (probably) reliable. I guess I'd just still want the tubes.

I have both a SS and tube Orange, albeit an old version Crush 35LDX. Frankly the LDX is only good on the clean channel in my opinion, and it is partially responsible for my hesitation to get to into Orange's new SS amps, even though I know they aren't the same animal.
http://www.reverbnation.com/evolutionprotocol
Orange TH100
Orange PPC212

Yamaha AES820s
MXR Flanger|TC Alter Ego|TC Hall of Fame|Boss Tremolo

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:25 pm

thinspirits77 wrote:What "tube gear" do you have? How often do you play live/practice?

I have a TH100 and I use it fairly sparingly so I'm not that worried about tube failure. I also plan to get something smaller as an emergency backup in the future, once my band is done recording and is looking to play live again.

The only thing I'd give up my TH100 for is a Thunderverb or Rockerverb, and even if I could get one of those I'd probably still keep it. That said, I guess if you really liked the Crush Pro 60 then does it really matter what we think? It is getting great reviews and it's affordable and (probably) reliable. I guess I'd just still want the tubes.

I have both a SS and tube Orange, albeit an old version Crush 35LDX. Frankly the LDX is only good on the clean channel in my opinion, and it is partially responsible for my hesitation to get to into Orange's new SS amps, even though I know they aren't the same animal.

I have the rocker 30 and I use a two twelve beat up Bugera cab with v30's. Normally a les paul custom with humbuckers and sometimes Jr's with p90's. I play out about once a month.. I am completely happy with the rocker 30 and would probably never consider getting rid of it. But after playing the cr60 at guitar center, I was blown away. I started out using a solid state ampeg back when I was a kid. And SS stuff was always ok, but never competed with tube stuff. I played through the cr60 and then a tiny terror combo at guitar center, and found the cr60 sounding just as good. I was floored. Now an orange affordable to the masses and with consistency of SS and still has the same look. I am not going to get rid of the Rocker. But I definitely know what my next amp is. I will probably go for the cr120c. Just because I like two twelves..