Orange AD140 - Hissing and random pops.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MattToner

Orange AD140 - Hissing and random pops.

Post by MattToner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:26 am

Hi All,

At a gig in December, my AD140 was pushed a bit too much and it blew a speaker in my Orange 212OB.
I've replaced the speaker and now when it sits there idle (power and standby on) it makes a strange interference noise followed by a few pops, then goes back to its standard 'powered on hiss noise'

Also, if i put it on channel 2, if i tap the front panel or the head, i can hear it being amplified through the speakers (this doesnt happen on channel 1 though) is this a preamp issue or could it be arcing somewhere else?

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Re: Orange AD140 - Hissing and random pops.

Post by stuart_tate41 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 am

Firstly it sounds like a bad preamp. If you blew a speaker it might be more have you had a tech look at it?

MattToner

Post by MattToner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:50 am

Not yet, couldnt find anyone local to Portsmouth to take a look.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:49 pm

Sounds like a valve gone bad... But How long was your amp running for after you blew the 1st speaker?

Once blown, there would have been an impedance mismatch.....

Out of curiosity, how does a speaker die? Did it make a bang not I noise? Any visual signs of damage?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

MattToner

Post by MattToner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:22 pm

it was still running for about 20 seconds whilst i was working out if it was the head or cabinet.

there was no bang, from what i heard, it went a bit muffled then just cut off, as it was a 2x12 wired in series as soon as the first speaker died the cab made no noise. As this caused an open circuit the head would have seen no load at all, which is obviously worse for the head than an impedance mismatch.

There are no signs of any damage on the speaker itself, it just gets no impedance when checked with a multimeter so I'm guessing that the voice coil has burnt out.

Replaced it with a new Vintage 30 and all working fine again.

I now have 2x 212 so its at 240w rather than a single running at 120w

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Had a similar problem happen to my AD30 a few years back. After several trips back and forth to various amp techs all across Indianapolis it turned out to be a fuse that didn't quite blow. Because it didn't blow fully, the amp still powered on fine, but the filament had what looked like a ball of solder in the middle, causing weird noises. Replaced the fuse and, after months and months of diagnosis, it was good as new.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

StratusX wrote:Had a similar problem happen to my AD30 a few years back. After several trips back and forth to various amp techs all across Indianapolis it turned out to be a fuse that didn't quite blow. Because it didn't blow fully, the amp still powered on fine, but the filament had what looked like a ball of solder in the middle, causing weird noises. Replaced the fuse and, after months and months of diagnosis, it was good as new.

So many weird things can happen in electronic things.......

That's à really odd one!!!!
Glad you got it sorted!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute