Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Post by pattyzero » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Again and again I keep coming back to the tiny terror hardwired as my favourite amp. It just sounds fantastic and gives me pretty much exactly the sound I want with very little effort.

However, I stopped using it in a band context as it just wasn't loud enough for some situations, and at the time I was only getting a few months out of a set of tubes as I was running it flat out a lot of the time.
I was using it with an old marshall 2x12 loaded with g12h blackbacks.
Now I only use it at home with an orange 1x12 as the marshall 2x12 cab is gone.

Recently though I've been thinking that the TT and a 2x12 would be a really compact, practical rig that would sound amazing.

Is anyone gigging with a tiny terror??Anyone using it as their main amp?? Anyone using it in a band context??

I'd be keen to know if I can use it as my main amp, and any tips for getting the required volume out of it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:14 pm

The TT HW certainly sounds fantastic, I've not been brave enough to use mine for gigs yet but I would love to give it a try.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:15 pm

So there's another forum member in County Durham!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

BJC

Post by BJC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm a tad confused. You used to use the TT with a 2x12 in a band situation but stopped because it wasn't loud enough. Now you're posting to ask if that same setup can be used in a band situation? I'm interested in hearing people's experience gigging with a TT, but it sounds like you've tried it and got your answer already.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:So there's another forum member in County Durham!
My office is around there (Sunderland). We could even make an international County Durham meeting once :D

About the TT, a band opened for us and the guy had his TT into my 4X12, and he sounded fantastic. (power trio config). The Tiny Terror is perfectly giggable if you have a cab efficient enough.

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks guys I think that's the issue I have, I need to have an efficient cab and am interested in people who have had setups that worked for them.

Yeah I'm in county durham, we should book out DK studios for an hour or 2 and get all the amps together for some "testing" !!

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Post by stuart_tate41 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Well this is a bit disappointing as I've just purchased on to use for gigs with a Marshall 2x12!

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm

stuart_tate41 wrote:Well this is a bit disappointing as I've just purchased on to use for gigs with a Marshall 2x12!

Let me know how it goes, not everyone plays such dives with such cack handed drummers as me!!

John_BlackWolf
Tiny Terror

Post by John_BlackWolf » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:03 pm

My TTHW & PPC212 is more than loud enough to gig with (Loud drummer and 2nd guitarist with Rocker 30)

I don't gig it because I need more flexibility (FX loop, solo boost)
Dual Dark 50
PPC-212
Hardwired Tiny Terror

http://www.facebook.com/iLLUSTR8ORS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 pm

I agree it must be gigable with a good cab.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:16 pm

I've used mine at a number of gigs paired with a pair of Eminence Ramrods in a 2x10 cab I built. I don't really need a clean tone unless I roll back the guitars volume, which works for me. I usually run my gain around 12:30/1 o'clock and the volume usually runs around the noon mark. This is all fore more of a classic rock tones.

I've used it as my main amp and when I bring one of the big amps the TT comes as the backup.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:41 pm

I think a vertical 2x12 with Vintage 30s is your best bet to get the most volume out of the TT or maybe one Vintage 30 and one G12H-30 if you want more balance. A cab with a front slot port would probably give you the most stage volume and low end.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:14 am

I have a TTHW and I usually just practice with it. My main sound is an OR120 that I have a MV installed on so it is useable (not to loud) to get good drive from. I think that I can get OR'ish sounds out of the TT enough that I feel like I still sound like me when I am playing the OR. Recently though, I got a R30 combo and I have been using it and taking the TT along for a back up amp to run through the combo cabinet if necessary....anyway, in a roundabout way, I am getting to the point that I am starting to itch to try a Dual Terror with the 30 watts. I think that might be the answer to the TT not loud enough dilemma. I really wonder how similar a dual sounds to the TT?

After I got the 30 watt rocker I thought, damn....now I have to try a dual terror too. I think the Rocker 30 crushes the TT, but I really do still like the TT tone so I wonder if a dual 30 would narrow the gap that the awesomeness of the R30 has.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:07 am

no gigs but for a long time I did all my band practices with my tiny terror at gig volume. did let a couple band dude it for a show once when the amp shared between them crapped out. it's a loud little amp and sounds great cranked as long as you aren't concerned with cleans. I use my guitar volume for that anyway, and use single coils

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:30 am

Tonight I'm practicing with a loud band......loud drummer and the other guitarist has a jcm800 2203. I think I'll take the TT and see how it performs through the room's 4x12 cab.