Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bensen
Orange Master

Re: Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Post by Bensen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Hubaxe wrote:The Tiny Terror is perfectly giggable if you have a cab efficient enough.
That and if you don't need super clean sounds, your drummer is not too loud and you don't have to compete with a second guitarrist that doesn't understand band dynamics ;D I did it a couple of times and liked it, because you really have to push that amp.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Defense wins championships is a band that I have seen live....they are good btw....and one guitarist used an OD120 and the other an epi jr...i think those are 5 watts....sounded great...so 8 would think a TT would be perfectly giggable too..With the right expectations and setup of course as already spoken.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:14 am

I saw Everytime I die in september. Andy was using a big head (couldn't tell what it was) while jordan was using a TT with pedals.

Both were miked so volume was fine for either. The thing is though, for that kind of heavy hardcore music, the TT really didn 't have the presence and thump that a bigger amp had. Sounded ok, even good but wasn't impressive.
still, it's definitely giggable.

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Not surprised to hear that. I once used a Tiny Terror as a last minute backup for my Dual Terror (tubes crapped out) and while it was loud enough it lacked that extra girth the DT has. Even set at half power, the larger tranny makes a difference.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Beljunmalnwa wrote:Not surprised to hear that. I once used a Tiny Terror as a last minute backup for my Dual Terror (tubes crapped out) and while it was loud enough it lacked that extra girth the DT has. Even set at half power, the larger tranny makes a difference.
I would agree with you. I haven't spent a ton of time with my tiny terror but although it can get loud I feel the balls just aren't there. Even hooked up to my 2x12 cab just doesn't seem to have that thick drive to it.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Another random thought on the matter.

While I've never played the Hard Wired version of the TT, I have heard from more than one source that it resembles the Fat Channel of the DT.

I'm not necessarily implying that you trade up for a Dual Terror but if you did, the prices are such that you probably wouldn't need too much cash on top of the trade in value of the Hard Wired version of your Tiny Terror.

The difference in wattage would definitely put you over the top. I've had to turn my volume to high noon exactly once.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Anyone gigging with a tiny terror???!! I'd love to!!

Post by DiabloS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:46 pm

I gigged with a Tiny Terror for close to a year. I much preferred it over my previous Marshall DSL50 despite the decrease in wattage.

It has great tone when it's pushed hard but it has its limitations... good for about 8 or 9/10 times I'd use it live I'd say, but every once in a while you wished you had more volume and more low end thump.

The Dual Terror is more expensive but gives you a 2nd channel, bigger sound and enough volume to cover just about anything.

Both great amps though and the TT could do the trick 100% of the time for a band a that doesn't play really loud.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:54 pm

I gigged with a Tiny Terror for close to a year. I much preferred it over my previous Marshall DSL50 despite the decrease in wattage.

It has great tone when it's pushed hard but it has its limitations... good for about 8 or 9/10 times I'd use it live I'd say, but every once in a while you wished you had more volume and more low end thump.

The Dual Terror is more expensive but gives you a 2nd channel, bigger sound and enough volume to cover just about anything.

Both great amps though and the TT could do the trick 100% of the time for a band a that doesn't play really loud.
Funny you mention that. In one of my old bands, The other guitar player had a TSL 100 and despite the difference in wattage, my DT pretty much chewed it up and spit it out. Part of that could have been the cabs though. I had a hand built cab with G12H30's while he had a standard Marshall 1960 cab with GT75's.

The DT is significantly pricier than a normal/standard TT but actually isn't that much more than the Hard Wired edition. I almost got the Hardwired TT when I saw that for a little more I could get the DT and at that time, I figured it was better to have the extra power and second channel and not need them than the other way around.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:21 pm

The TT HW does sound awesome though and is not lacking in girth or balls or whatever else you want to call it imo.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:The TT HW does sound awesome though and is not lacking in girth or balls or whatever else you want to call it imo.

Does it have better transformers too?

I know I saw Kerry - or kmlabs as per forum name - play a couple of gigs, once with a RV50, and a 2nd time with dark terror. The dark terror is pretty good, but the RV50 had a fullness, thickness and presence the Dark Terror just couldn't compete with imo.

Also worth noting that nobody at that 2nd concert noticed that, they were much too busy doing the right thing: having a good time!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute