Thunderverb vs. Dual Dark

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:44 pm

DUAL DARK 100 vs THUNDERVERB 200

Hello guys,

This is my first post after spending a lot of time on the forums as a guest. I am about to buy my first stack and have aspired to own an Orange since I started playing guitar, around 10 years ago.

I’ve come into some money and decided now would be the time to invest. I’ve started a new band from the ground up. We play primarily Mastodon / High on Fire / The Sword / Black Tusk style material. I will be playing both Lead and Rhythm. Pounding riffs, fuzzy open chords, at times vintage sounding with balls, while being a sound that requires clarity in the leads…

I have researched both amps for a long time and have searched endlessly for a place where I can try them out, no luck with either (Londoner, living in Holland). Many e-tailers list the item here but don’t actually have it in stock. Independent stores also do not carry so I’m out of luck there.

I realize I’m asking a very subjective question but would like to hear from anyone that has had the privilege of trying both.

If it’s of any interest, my main guitars are a Les Paul with Bareknuckle Black Dog pickups and a Custom Stratocaster with a single Seymour Duncan Invader.

Any advice / Insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eddy

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: Thunderverb vs. Dual Dark

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Can't help you out with the subject of your post, but nevertheless: Welkom op 't forum! :wink:

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Hey buddy, dank je wel! :P

EDIT: ... Or dankjewel?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Welcome there!
If I would have to replace my current amp, the Dual Dark and the TV200 would also be the contenders :wink:

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Thank you very much.

And hey, so you understand my struggle, good man!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Having not ever tried a Dual Dark, I can only assume the two channels are probably better balanced compared to the Thunderverb. Either amp would probably do the trick for what you mentioned, Mastodon uses the Thunderverb if that's any indication.

But with the Thunderverb you have one less gain stage than the Dual Dark and channel A is way more classic sounding than channel B which is voiced VERY dark, however it's ballsy and thick as hell. It's just not a very cutting tone, it's more thick and fuzzy with tons of low end. Channel A on the TV doesn't have THAT much gain, it really has more of a classic vibe to it. If you want lots of gain with more balance channels, I might go Dual Dark... but the TV might also do the trick depending on how you want to set your channels.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 pm

A delicate choice for sure. I'd say Dual Dark. Don't ask me why. Just a feeling. 8)
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Bensnake wrote:A delicate choice for sure. I'd say Dual Dark. Don't ask me why. Just a feeling. 8)
Same here, Dual Dark and I don't know why. Never played one but in the demos Ive heard there was something there.

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:26 am

'Morning gentlemen,

All replies are much appreciated!

I was dead-set on the Dual Dark for quite a while, until I saw a Thunderverb for 950 euros (a little under 750GBP) less than list price. Unfortunately the day I called, the guy sold the amp moments before.

From what I have come to understand the Dual Dark has more of a modern sound whereas the Thunderverb will hark back to more classic/vintage tones, as mentioned by DiabloS. In your opinion, for the TV, would you speculate that one could use Channel A for leads and B for riffing, or would it be too dramatic of a leap between the two?

The fact that channel A and B are dramatically different is somewhat of a concern to me, then again it could be seen as a positive aspect of the amp as well, in terms of diversity.

What I also wonder is if you can obtain Thunderverb style sounds from backing off the gain on the Dual Dark. It seems not many people have tried the Dual Dark.

Thanks again, guys. Any further insight or discussion will be read with keen interest.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 am

I don't know how different is the Dual dark dirty channel compared to the "high gain" TH100.
To me the TH seems to be a kind of cheap dual dark. Both are EL34 mounted.
Owning a TH, I can affirm this head can achieve a very good classic rock tone. The gain knob is really progressive and even low gain is not under toned.

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 am

Hubaxe wrote:I don't know how different is the Dual dark dirty channel compared to the "high gain" TH100.
To me the TH seems to be a kind of cheap dual dark. Both are EL34 mounted.
Owning a TH, I can affirm this head can achieve a very good classic rock tone. The gain knob is really progressive and even low gain is not under toned.
Hi Hubaxe, so in that sense I guess they can achieve comparable tones...

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:39 am

Yes that's my supposition. A side to side comparison would definitively be interesting. I guess the dirty channel is similar, the TH is supposed to have a clearer clean channel (very impressive by the way).
I'd really like to plug a Dual Dark, but none available around there. :(

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 am

Hubaxe wrote:Yes that's my supposition. A side to side comparison would definitively be interesting. I guess the dirty channel is similar, the TH is supposed to have a clearer clean channel (very impressive by the way).
I'd really like to plug a Dual Dark, but none available around there. :(
Yeah, I know all about that last issue! From what I've heard on videos, the TH does have very nice, "present" cleans. In my mind the Dual Dark cleans were still nice but a little bit more "clinical" and distant, if that makes sense.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:01 pm

I can't help...

But Welcome to the forum!

Let us know what you eventually get and your view
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Eddywtf

Post by Eddywtf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks, Ronnie. I most certainly will.

If anyone is interested, I found these great soundbites of a Dual Dark 50. https://soundcloud.com/john-greenhill/a ... al-dark-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;