CR-60Pro...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: CR-60Pro...

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Vertikal wrote:Just out of curiosity. Any one that owns a CR60C, CR120C or a CR120H, how are you finding it [them] at high volumes, fully kranked or as load as you can take it?

Are you finding your Crush Pro to be clear, both on clean and dirty channels, break up nicely or badly or do you think they start to sound muddy at higher volumes?

I ask because a few of my fellow guitar playing chums that have heard mine think it sounds great, even a little envy showing, HA!, and since most other 'professional' Solid State amps I've used start to sound dull when pushed. I just wonder if I've got a really great one in a batch or they're just generally very ruddy good.
This, I am also interested in especially in the case of the CR120. I play my R30 usually at 3pm on the natural channel (with 3x12") and am wondering how the CR120 would compare at that kind of volume.

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:42 am

RickenBangler wrote: @ Vertikal - mine displays no dullness when cranked hard - just the opposite in fact. I use it with the single coil setup on my Ric and a 'bucker on my G&L and while it has it's own Orangey voice it also allows the sound of the guitars/pups to shine through.
Really like the 'Voice of the World' drivers as well, kinda like the V30's but seem a little more mellow to me.

I'm way past the honeymoon period with this amp and I think it truly deserves the 'Orange' name - probably the best SS amp circuitry I've heard or been lucky enough to own. Seems to be pretty bullet proof too - we have crazy overvoltage over here sometimes (285v anyone?) and no problems so far.
Excellent! I believe Orange have made one hell of an amplifier after getting more reviews adn experiences etc.

I play my [black] Fender Telecaster '72 Deluxe through, just recently installed Bourns 500k pots in both pairs of volume and tone - so there's more Oooomph coming from the 'not' "Wide-Range" but normal humbuckers, stringed with Dunlop's Heavy Core 7 string set albeit minus the .10 gauge, so effectively 60-13s, Drop B tuned, thus a lot of natural bass frequencies(?) so I don't, or hardly use the bass knob on the CR120C. The amp responds brilliantly both via the clean channel and dirty channel. The FX Loop is also fantastic too.

I've played the likes of the Rockerverb 50 MKII through both of Orange's 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, which were loaded with V30s, and in all honesty, I'm absolutely in love with the 'Voice of the World' speakers, I actually prefer them because with the tuning I play in, the amount of gain I use (a lot), and the style I play (industrial, properly heavy, slow/medium tempo, ambient, Cult of Luna like) I find the Voice of the World's to be much tighter, clearer and more responsive than the V30s. I would love to try a Voice of the World loaded 4x12 sometime, if ever they're available, if they're not then they really should be.

Misterfolkertsma,

I wouldn't know how the CR120C would compare to the R30 because I've never played through that particular amplifier. However, I've played through the Rockerverb 50 MKII, but while I've not done an in depth comparison of both amps at the same high volume, I can say that they both sound remarkably similar. While a lot of people may state that a Solid State amp (CR120) will never sound like a Rockerverb 50/100, the same can also be said for the latter too, I guess. We all have our preference in tone. Other than sounding remarkably similar, the CR120, C variant in my experience, can easily handle itself when pushed hard.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:55 am

Vertikal wrote:I would love to try a Voice of the World loaded 4x12 sometime, if ever they're available, if they're not then they really should be.
They're available, in a slightly smaller package though... The CRPRO412 (former known as the PPC412 Compact):

https://www.orangeamps.com/products/gui ... r-cabinet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:25 am

RickenBangler wrote:Another vote for the CR60C here as well...
I snapped one up shortly after they were introduced and it quickly became my go-to amp. So much so that I moved on my OR15 as it was just gathering dust.
Wow, I have an OR15 too but the CR60C will never replace it. The OR15 is it's own unique thing that compliments the CR60C IMO. I may not use it as much since the CR60 appeared but I make sure I give time for more inspiring Orange goodness :D.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:14 am

Vertikal wrote:
RickenBangler wrote: @ Vertikal - mine displays no dullness when cranked hard - just the opposite in fact. I use it with the single coil setup on my Ric and a 'bucker on my G&L and while it has it's own Orangey voice it also allows the sound of the guitars/pups to shine through.
Really like the 'Voice of the World' drivers as well, kinda like the V30's but seem a little more mellow to me.

I'm way past the honeymoon period with this amp and I think it truly deserves the 'Orange' name - probably the best SS amp circuitry I've heard or been lucky enough to own. Seems to be pretty bullet proof too - we have crazy overvoltage over here sometimes (285v anyone?) and no problems so far.
Excellent! I believe Orange have made one hell of an amplifier after getting more reviews adn experiences etc.

I play my [black] Fender Telecaster '72 Deluxe through, just recently installed Bourns 500k pots in both pairs of volume and tone - so there's more Oooomph coming from the 'not' "Wide-Range" but normal humbuckers, stringed with Dunlop's Heavy Core 7 string set albeit minus the .10 gauge, so effectively 60-13s, Drop B tuned, thus a lot of natural bass frequencies(?) so I don't, or hardly use the bass knob on the CR120C. The amp responds brilliantly both via the clean channel and dirty channel. The FX Loop is also fantastic too.

I've played the likes of the Rockerverb 50 MKII through both of Orange's 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, which were loaded with V30s, and in all honesty, I'm absolutely in love with the 'Voice of the World' speakers, I actually prefer them because with the tuning I play in, the amount of gain I use (a lot), and the style I play (industrial, properly heavy, slow/medium tempo, ambient, Cult of Luna like) I find the Voice of the World's to be much tighter, clearer and more responsive than the V30s. I would love to try a Voice of the World loaded 4x12 sometime, if ever they're available, if they're not then they really should be.

Misterfolkertsma,

I wouldn't know how the CR120C would compare to the R30 because I've never played through that particular amplifier. However, I've played through the Rockerverb 50 MKII, but while I've not done an in depth comparison of both amps at the same high volume, I can say that they both sound remarkably similar. While a lot of people may state that a Solid State amp (CR120) will never sound like a Rockerverb 50/100, the same can also be said for the latter too, I guess. We all have our preference in tone. Other than sounding remarkably similar, the CR120, C variant in my experience, can easily handle itself when pushed hard.
Interesting post though! I also play on heavy-ish gauge strings and tuned down a bit, not as far as your setup but .12’s, medium gain and tuned to D with both D's dropped to C. Even on my Tele there's plenty 'natural' low-end girth to my sound.

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I think it is cool that Orange is making some cool SS stuff. From tone clips and seeing a couple of bands that use them live the tone seems pretty convincing. I wonder, has anyone actually tested the Crush Pro series along side a tube Orange? If so share your findings and thoughts.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:41 pm

I have. My CR120 can't compete with my OR100 tonewise. Though the CR is "tube like" in feel and respons there's no way I'd prefer it over the OR. The big head sounds bigger, ballsier, more organic with more clarity and texture when compared to the CR driving them through a 412 (irrespective the fact that they're voiced slightly different..). The OR sounds better the more it gets pushed (no limit, my ears says 'stop', even with hearing protection, before the amp does) and there's a lot more harmonic overtones coming out of a single note or a chord.

With that said, the CR still is the best SS amp I've played. Period.

Edit; it's gonna be interesting comparing the CR to my soon to arrive Rockerverb... 8)
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Bensnake wrote:I have. My CR120 can't compete with my OR100 tonewise. Though the CR is "tube like" in feel and respons there's no way I'd prefer it over the OR. The big head sounds bigger, ballsier, more organic with more clarity and texture when compared to the CR driving them through a 412 (irrespective the fact that they're voiced slightly different..). The OR sounds better the more it gets pushed (no limit, my ears says 'stop', even with hearing protection, before the amp does) and there's a lot more harmonic overtones coming out of a single note or a chord.

With that said, the CR still is the best SS amp I've played. Period.

Edit; it's gonna be interesting comparing the CR to my soon to arrive Rockerverb... 8)

Yeh I would like to compare myself, because they say that the CR is based off of the Rockeverb. I have had bad experiences with the Rockeverb 50 though. I have liked the Rockeverb 100 that I tried in guitar center though.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I've only tested the RV100 and just loved it though I ordered a 50 because I already have the OR100 and felt that I don't need another 100W head. Furthermore the RV50 sounds better on lower volume (so they've told me) and breaks up easier on the clean channel compared to the 100. I'm sure it'll be fine. :D
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Hey I just snapped up the 60c in black tolex,very cool looking little amp 8) ...and was wondering...Can I run it with combo engaged,into a 1x12 extension cabinet with a 16 ohm speaker for a full 2x12 setup?

Thanks!!/ :D
Hugh

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:58 pm

The Orange crush cab comes with Orange voice of the world speakers.

Does anyone have experience with those vs vintage 30's? ....Wonder if they will put out a 2x12 with cheaper speaker options. I guess the 4x12 made for the crush is more compact and lighter too.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:44 pm

the orangewizard wrote:Hey I just snapped up the 60c in black tolex,very cool looking little amp 8) ...and was wondering...Can I run it with combo engaged,into a 1x12 extension cabinet with a 16 ohm speaker for a full 2x12 setup?

Thanks!!/ :D
I believe theres two 16ohms outputs on the back, so yes that should be possible.