NAD! OR15 and PPC212 OpenCab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Heffe213

NAD! OR15 and PPC212 OpenCab

Post by Heffe213 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 am

Happy new Orange owner here, this was the best find of my music playing existence! I took my Les Paul futura in to the local music shop for a set up and spotted the OR15 in the amp room on the way out, great price and barely used. Actually decided to be good and leave as I had just dropped off my guitar anyway and would have to take one off the wall to demo it. Thought if it was still there when I went back to pick up the Futura that I would give her a run and see what I thought.

My only other Orange amp to date had been a micro terror that I just never bonded with, great little amp but without the option to play thought a 4 ohm cab (the head would cut out) it just sounded a bit thin.

I started checking all the reviews and videos I could find about the OR15 and was quite impressed so I looked forward to getting the word that my Futura was ready to go pick her up. Finally 5 days later I got the call, on my way there I was excited but just knew that it had to be gone. Walked past the amp room and where it sat before now was empty, crushed a little bit I walked to the service area in the back, grabbed my guitar and thought why not look around in the amp room, I wanted to play a bit anyway.

To my surprise on the next row of amps sat the OR15!!! Next to it was a tiny terror and a 212 cab. Tried her out and man what a sound. That tiny terror is a bit lonely now as I bought its cab too. I am in tone heaven!

2014 Gibson Les Paul Futura
2014 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2013 Gibson Les Paul Special P90
2013 Gibson Les Paul Special HB
2013 Gibson SGJ
2010 Godin Session

Orange OR15 w/ PPC212OB
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Pro Junior

http://www.charmschooldropouts.com

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: NAD! OR15 and PPC212 OpenCab

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:22 am

Excellent choice, enjoy!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:31 am

Heffe213 wrote:Happy new Orange owner here, this was the best find of my music playing existence! I took my Les Paul futura in to the local music shop for a set up and spotted the OR15 in the amp room on the way out, great price and barely used. Actually decided to be good and leave as I had just dropped off my guitar anyway and would have to take one off the wall to demo it. Thought if it was still there when I went back to pick up the Futura that I would give her a run and see what I thought.

My only other Orange amp to date had been a micro terror that I just never bonded with, great little amp but without the option to play thought a 4 ohm cab (the head would cut out) it just sounded a bit thin.

I started checking all the reviews and videos I could find about the OR15 and was quite impressed so I looked forward to getting the word that my Futura was ready to go pick her up. Finally 5 days later I got the call, on my way there I was excited but just knew that it had to be gone. Walked past the amp room and where it sat before now was empty, crushed a little bit I walked to the service area in the back, grabbed my guitar and thought why not look around in the amp room, I wanted to play a bit anyway.

To my surprise on the next row of amps sat the OR15!!! Next to it was a tiny terror and a 212 cab. Tried her out and man what a sound. That tiny terror is a bit lonely now as I bought its cab too. I am in tone heaven!

Congratulations - Excellent choice, I got mine a month back and just cannot stop playing, though I could not afford to get the PPC212, however I will soon enough...It sounds so good that a guy who swears by his Vox AC30HW head asked me to lend it to him for a gig....here's how it sounded at the gig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IIW8VaUZM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, through a Bogner Alchemist 112.

Enjoy that thick drive and the melodious harmonics

jdm
Tiny Terror

Post by jdm » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Heffe213 wrote:That tiny terror is a bit lonely now as I bought its cab too. I am in tone heaven!
Sorry but that just won't do - go and rescue that lonely amp now

:D
The TT / Rockerverb appreciation society......

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Looks like you've already answered the question here about your buying philosophy... :wink:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Congrats!!!!!!!!

I remember a while back I had tried a Vigier Expert (strat type guitar) in my local music shop. Itbwas heavily discounted, but I couldn't afford it yet. Every week, I would walk past the music shop to see it in the shop front display. One week it disappeared. I almost ran into the shop, looked everywhere, and tried my best to casualy ask if they still had it - and they did. Phew...... Bought it a couple of weeks later.... Got a real scare though !!!

Nice set up that OR15 and PPC212 !
That LP looks lovely too! What is it exactly? Love the top colour?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 am

Looks perfect with that 212OB! :D Nice guitar as well. LP Studio Manhattan Midnight finish?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:45 pm

niiiice!!...do enjoy
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

S&m freddy

Post by S&m freddy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Superb....I bet that neck pup sounds nice through your rig...
Jim Root #4
Cornford RK100 and MK50
Cornford and Trace Elliot cabs
Gibson, Gordon Smith, Musicman, Fender guitars

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:01 am

Congrats!

@Arya, great classic-rock sound from that little amp! Make sure he gives it back haha

Heffe213

Post by Heffe213 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:14 am

Thanks all! Sorry for the delay but I just haven't been able to tear myself away from the new rig! Haha
jdm wrote:
Heffe213 wrote:That tiny terror is a bit lonely now as I bought its cab too. I am in tone heaven!
Sorry but that just won't do - go and rescue that lonely amp now

:D
Haha, wish I could but just blew what I had available. No complaints though!!!
a.hun wrote:Looks like you've already answered the question here about your buying philosophy... :wink:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

Andy.
Yes it appears so!
Les Paul Lover wrote:Congrats!!!!!!!!

That LP looks lovely too! What is it exactly? Love the top colour?
Bensnake wrote:Looks perfect with that 212OB! :D Nice guitar as well. LP Studio Manhattan Midnight finish?
Thanks all! She is a great guitar, a 2014 Les Paul Futura in Pacific Blue, sounds amazing though the OR15, here is a link. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... utura.aspx
2013 Gibson SGJ
2010 Godin Session

Orange OR15 w/ PPC212OB
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Pro Junior

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Gibson specs (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Futura/Specifications.aspx wrote:Pickups
Neck Position P-90H Sidewinder (Alnico V x 2)
Bridge Position BB3 (Alnico #2)

Electronics
Potentiometers 2 Coil Split Push/Pull Volume Controls,
1 Push/Pull Rhythm Tone Control (15db boost),
1 Master Tone Control
That neck 'P-90H Sidewinder' is actually a splittable double coil 'bucker then. Useful. Guess Gibson realised that some of the earlier double coil P-100s which didn't sound so great gave them all a bad name. I have two later P-100ss on my LP Jr. Special though which do sound very good. Maybe they've developed them further still, or maybe they are a total new design. Probably a smart move to change the name anyway! :wink:

The soundclips seem impressive. Remind me of the huge versatility I have with the two splittable 'buckers on my Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline 60. Nice. I'd still not go for it myself, largely because of the automatic tuning. But that looks like a great guitar! 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Heffe213

Post by Heffe213 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 pm

a.hun wrote:The soundclips seem impressive. Remind me of the huge versatility I have with the two splittable 'buckers on my Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline 60. Nice. I'd still not go for it myself, largely because of the automatic tuning. But that looks like a great guitar!
Yeah I hear you on the tuners thing, I almost didn't bite because of that. It really depends on how you approach it. I simply look at it as my main gigging guitar where tuning changes between songs at an extremely fast pace is crucial. If you thnk of it as a polyphonic tuning system to get you 98% there then use the 40 to 1 ratio to fine tune it really speeds things up, if it ever fails then a nice set of locking grovers can simply be dropped in.

The pickup combination, hardshell case and dual coil splits with a 15 decibel boost switch are what really sold me. Setting the OR15 to a nice crunch sound (10 to 11 o'clock) puts me in a great position, coil splits take you down to a nice blues edge of breakup tone, and in non-split, the boost takes you into a great overdriven tone. Plus the pots are push-push which lets you just hit the different mode on the fly. Best of all worlds! Am I gushing? HAHA.

The sidewinder was the final deciding factor, I noticed none of the 2015 models carried it and didn't want to lose my chance at a great sounding pickup, it was either the Les Paul or Sg Futura if I wanted it. What is interesting about it is that it is not a typical p-100 stacked style pickup, as the name implies the coils are rotated sideways next to each other under the cover, really an interesting construction and the tone is amazing from it.

Really a great jack of all trades type of guitar. Essentially a different flavor built upon a Les Paul Studio foundation. I polished just the top of the body to really bring out the flame on it as it was a "vintage" gloss, now it is just simply amazing... Played through my new Orange Rig of course!
2013 Gibson SGJ
2010 Godin Session

Orange OR15 w/ PPC212OB
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Pro Junior

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Guess if you use different tunings live it would be pretty useful. Nice to know you could just swap out for standard tuners. Would that then be fairly invisible, do you know?

Yeah see what you mean about those Sidewinders. Definitely new and different. Interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj4PsJ-oZeU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the 15dB boost? Is that powered then? Not seeing any real info on the Gibson site but I don't see it being passive if it is a real boost - rather than lifting a 15dB cut. 15dB is quite a lot. With a compressed amp that'd give you a shedload of extra gain. Useful Into something much less compressed though (Hiwatt, R.30 Natural channel) you might be risking some serious pain.

Looks like a really nice job on the refinish. Got any better pics of the guitar?
Peavey Classic 30
Femder Pro Junior :?
I've got both a C.30 and PJ myself. Seems we both have pretty good taste! 8)

Andy.

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:Congrats!

@Arya, great classic-rock sound from that little amp! Make sure he gives it back haha
Took it back the same night :D Had a nice time at the gig too, its nice to hear what your amp can do live!!!!