Other amps.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Other amps.

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:49 pm

I know that there are other topics on this board that discuss other amps, but most of them are geared toward a specific brand. With this post, list some amps that you would want to be your main amp, only if Orange was not an option. Here is some of my choices.

If money were not an object,
Freidman dirty shirly, Reeves super 78 or Space Cowboy, early single channel Jcm 800 or Marshall Jmp master volume, Hiwatt studio stage mk ii

Affordable alternative : Blackstar Ht60

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Other amps.

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 pm

You mean that there's another amp manufacturer than Orange? :shock:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Bassman.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm

I don't really understand why? Or for what purpose....
Orange amps are an option. This is the Orange forum afterall!

Would you ask on the Gibson guitar forum what guitars people would buy if Gibson guitars didn't exist?

Do u mean that if u had an Orange amp and wanted an amp a bit different or to compliment it in some way, what would you buy.
Last edited by Ronnie Robinson on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I don't really understand why? Or for what purpose....
Orange amps are an option. This is the Orange forum afterall! Do u mean that if u had an Orange amp and wanted an amp a bit different or to compliment it in some way, what would you buy.

Yes it is an Orange forum, and I would not take anything over them. It is just a discussion about what would you be using if you did not have, or have the ability to have an Orange. Like what are some other things that you would consider.

Also people talk about other gear and guitars all the time in these boards. If you don't want to discuss it, thats everyone's choice, Read and move on I suppose.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't really like the generic idea of Marshalls...as they are on so many darn recordings and behind so many hairspray and make-up backlines in the 80's and I still can't shake that image...but the truth is they sound pretty damn awesome, so my main amp would probably be a marshall if not an Orange...in fact it sometimes already is as I have a JCM 800 2203....I would like to own and try a JTM 45 and a 4 input model 1959 or 1987 or even a superbass

There are other amps I would like too, but I am not going to mention them as my post will make the more hyped and thus harder for me to find to buy as I am looking for them as we discuss! :lol:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:22 pm

ironlung40 wrote:I don't really like the generic idea of Marshalls...as they are on so many darn recordings and behind so many hairspray and make-up backlines in the 80's and I still can't shake that image...but the truth is they sound pretty damn awesome, so my main amp would probably be a marshall if not an Orange...in fact it sometimes already is as I have a JCM 800 2203....I would like to own and try a JTM 45 and a 4 input model 1959 or 1987 or even a superbass

There are other amps I would like too, but I am not going to mention them as my post will make the more hyped and thus harder for me to find to buy as I am looking for them as we discuss! :lol:

I agree, I have always felt that Marshall's were just soooo damn common. But in reality some of them are pretty damn good. But the good ones are also really expensive and have so much hype that they just aren't really all that worth it.. There are too many options to get the same sounds for much less money. but yeh the 2203 and 2204's are good, the JTM45, The JMP's There is alot of bad models too, the 900 is not a fav, the 2000 not so good either. There are alot of those out there.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:40 pm

I am for Marshalls, alongside Orange. You can't shake Marshalls off rock and roll. If you can afford or have the space for it, I would go for a Marshall (or clone for that matter - which I did :).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Ok, let's play....

Genz-benz black pearl.
It actually is one of my permanent search on ebay. Sort of a Vox AC30 with a voice switch like old The FAC control, 5 or 6 different voice settings. Really fantastic amp. I believe fender boughtnthe brand and killed it. :(

The only other amp that really got my jaw drop was the bassman Ri, but just not practical for me. I like preamp OD too, not possible with a bassman.

But I'd be really happy with a black pearl. Someone on this forum has one, i can never remember who.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Ok, let's play....

Genz-benz black pearl.
It actually is one of my permanent search on ebay. Sort of a Vox AC30 with a voice switch like old The FAC control, 5 or 6 different voice settings. Really fantastic amp. I believe fender boughtnthe brand and killed it. :(

The only other amp that really got my jaw drop was the bassman Ri, but just not practical for me. I like preamp OD too, not possible with a bassman.

But I'd be really happy with a black pearl. Someone on this forum has one, i can never remember who.
the fender bassman ri?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:12 am

Couple of worthy non Oranges I quite like to fire up. '74 Hiwatt DR103 and '65/'66 AC30TB (B) head.

These three are obviously my pride and joys. But being mainly a bass player I really enjoy firing up my other dedicated bass amps too, from the tiny Markbass Micromark 601 and 801 (1x6" and 1x8" combos, both genuinely great sounding for smaller sessions) through my trusty 100W Ampeg B-100R combo, to the tiny but mighty Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Tecamp Puma 900 heads. The last two are astounding, both totally pro amps with more performance spare than I even like to think about. Streamliner is very like having a big beefy all valve head with real character, but one which only weighs 3kg. It can (almost unbelievably) outshout a 320W all valve Ampeg SVT head - ridiculous. The Puma is just as powerful but a totally different amp, much more like a Hiwatt style clean machine. And 900W from a 1.5kg amp is just insane. Love these amps!

For guitar, well my small selection of Peavey, Fender, Mesa combos all still get used. Bit less since getting the Rocker 30 right enough, but still Orange isn't everything...

I love the different ways different amps work, and the way they can take me to different places musically too. But it is always about the music for me, and if I get great sounds than I play better, simple as that.

Andy.

Edit: Correction. (Hiwatt is a '74!)
Last edited by a.hun on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 am

a.hun wrote:Couple of worthy non Oranges I quite like to fire up. '84 Hiwatt DR103 and '65/'66 AC30TB (B) head.

These three are obviously my pride and joys. But being mainly a bass player I really enjoy firing up my other dedicated bass amps too, from the tiny Markbass Micromark 601 and 801 (1x6" and 1x8" combos, both genuinely great sounding for smaller sessions) through my trusty 100W Ampeg B-100R combo, to the tiny but mighty Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Tecamp Puma 900 heads. The last two are astounding, both totally pro amps with more performance spare than I even like to think about. Streamliner is very like having a big beefy all valve head with real character, but one which only weighs 3kg. It can (almost unbelievably) outshout a 320W all valve Ampeg SVT head - ridiculous. The Puma is just as powerful but a totally different amp, much more like a Hiwatt style clean machine. And 900W from a 1.5kg amp is just insane. Love these amps!

For guitar, well my small selection of Peavey, Fender, Mesa combos all still get used. Bit less since getting the Rocker 30 right enough, but still Orange isn't everything...

I love the different ways different amps work, and the way they can take me to different places musically too. But it is always about the music for me, and if I get great sounds than I play better, simple as that.

Andy.

Thanks for sharing Andy... You have some great looking amps.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 am

Matamp Series 2000 or a V14

The beginning or the end.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:43 am

1959 Fender Tweed Twin.... the high power one...

iscid

Post by iscid » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:44 pm

fortunately when money was an object i was able to get the only amp i ever wanted which was my ad140...so i guess if i wanted something of a lower quality...maybe a fender of some sort?
AD140 Lead (#059)
Cr120H
Orange PPC412
PPC212OB

Peavy Duel212