Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Post Reply
Tizzer
Tiny Terror
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Near Boston
Contact:

Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Tizzer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Who's writing/recording their own music out there? Figured I'd start a thread for people to post their work in progress and we could discuss tips and ideas involving songwriting, recording, and mixing. I'll start with a riff idea I recorded recently. Not sure where I'm going with it.

https://soundcloud.com/tizzer/groovy-riffin

Gladmarr
Orange Master
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:58 am
Location: Feenix, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Gladmarr » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 am

Trying. Never pulled off recording myself playing all parts. I've been taking drum lessons for a little over a year, so I'm almost to the point of being able to play drums along with my guitar parts. I'm hoping to have something up in the next month. We'll see if that ever comes true. 8)

Wendigo
Orange Master
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Wendigo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:42 am

Tizzer, that sh!t sounds awesome. :)

Tizzer
Tiny Terror
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Near Boston
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Tizzer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 am

Gladmarr wrote:Trying. Never pulled off recording myself playing all parts. I've been taking drum lessons for a little over a year, so I'm almost to the point of being able to play drums along with my guitar parts. I'm hoping to have something up in the next month. We'll see if that ever comes true. 8)
I wish you better luck than me. My drums are programmed sadly. Someday I'll learn to play drums, I've always wanted to.
Wendigo wrote:Tizzer, that sh!t sounds awesome. :)
Thanks man! Would you be disappointed if the song took a turn toward punk/metal after this riff? I'm trying to turn this into a full song and that's kind of where my first instincts have been leading me.

MikeD
Orange Expert
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by MikeD » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Tizzer wrote:Who's writing/recording their own music out there? Figured I'd start a thread for people to post their work in progress and we could discuss tips and ideas involving songwriting, recording, and mixing. I'll start with a riff idea I recorded recently. Not sure where I'm going with it.

https://soundcloud.com/tizzer/groovy-riffin
Dude...that´s föckin awesome!!!

Please move too Sweden and let me be the singer!!!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112
my rock/cover band:
deaf dumb & blind on Facebook
my "americana" band:
Oak Dust on Facebook

Gladmarr
Orange Master
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:58 am
Location: Feenix, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Gladmarr » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Tizzer wrote:Who's writing/recording their own music out there? Figured I'd start a thread for people to post their work in progress and we could discuss tips and ideas involving songwriting, recording, and mixing. I'll start with a riff idea I recorded recently. Not sure where I'm going with it.

https://soundcloud.com/tizzer/groovy-riffin
I did finally listen to this - it's very tight. Great sound. The drums sound slightly programmed, but only because you pointed it out.

I did manage to make something last night. It doesn't really sound like anything I usually do. There's barely any guitar in it, what little guitar there is was played through a Vox Lil Night Train, so by rights it doesn't really belong here. Bass was looped through a Matamp GT-200. Live drums (stumbles and all). And some synth stuff over top - I have never recorded anything with synth. I think it has a kinda Kraftwerk/Can/Faust feel to it, but that might be just me. Let me know what you think - unless you don't like it. 8)

http://fudgybunnies.com/sound_experimen ... _Take2.mp3

Tizzer
Tiny Terror
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Near Boston
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Tizzer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:31 pm

MikeD wrote:Dude...that´s föckin awesome!!!

Please move too Sweden and let me be the singer!!!!
Hahaha thanks! I should probably visit Sweden before I decide to move there :lol: I've never been to any of Europe, but someday I'd love to visit.
Gladmarr wrote:I did finally listen to this - it's very tight. Great sound. The drums sound slightly programmed, but only because you pointed it out.

I did manage to make something last night. It doesn't really sound like anything I usually do. There's barely any guitar in it, what little guitar there is was played through a Vox Lil Night Train, so by rights it doesn't really belong here. Bass was looped through a Matamp GT-200. Live drums (stumbles and all). And some synth stuff over top - I have never recorded anything with synth. I think it has a kinda Kraftwerk/Can/Faust feel to it, but that might be just me. Let me know what you think - unless you don't like it. 8)

http://fudgybunnies.com/sound_experimen ... _Take2.mp3
Thanks for listening! I like the vibe of your track. Apart from the drums not being as tight as they could be, it's a cool sound (not that I could play drums any better :lol: ). The bass part reminds me of Tool a bit with that kind of odd rhythm, hypnotic feel. Some cool synth ideas in there too.

Gladmarr
Orange Master
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:58 am
Location: Feenix, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Tizzer wrote:Thanks for listening! I like the vibe of your track. Apart from the drums not being as tight as they could be, it's a cool sound (not that I could play drums any better :lol: ). The bass part reminds me of Tool a bit with that kind of odd rhythm, hypnotic feel. Some cool synth ideas in there too.
Thanks for listening to mine....

That's the trade off for non-drummers, programmed or sloppy. Either one is almost preferable to having a drummer's weird energy around when you're trying to work on stuff.

Can we turn this into a thread with weird drummer stories....?

Tizzer
Tiny Terror
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Near Boston
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by Tizzer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:15 am

Hahaha one of my best friends is a fantastic drummer and also the drummer in a pop-punk/alternative band I'm in. I'd love to record him but the practice space we rent sounds AWFUL for drums, and recording studios are too much money for my broke a$$.

As for funny drummer stories, my friend who I mentioned above used to lose a small part of his kit at almost every show we played. He also once jumped on stage during another band's set and started jammin out on their drummer's floor tom. Needless to say he had a couple too many drinks that night.

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17839
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Great clip Tizzer - let me know when you're playing!

MikeD
Orange Expert
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recording/Songwriting WIPs

Post by MikeD » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Gladmarr wrote:
Tizzer wrote:Thanks for listening! I like the vibe of your track. Apart from the drums not being as tight as they could be, it's a cool sound (not that I could play drums any better :lol: ). The bass part reminds me of Tool a bit with that kind of odd rhythm, hypnotic feel. Some cool synth ideas in there too.
Thanks for listening to mine....

That's the trade off for non-drummers, programmed or sloppy. Either one is almost preferable to having a drummer's weird energy around when you're trying to work on stuff.

Can we turn this into a thread with weird drummer stories....?

like thats gunna be hard.....I sent this to my drummer asking him why I know so many of the lines said....favourite being "yeah its kevlar"

http://youtu.be/_2zUYmgIxEU
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112
my rock/cover band:
deaf dumb & blind on Facebook
my "americana" band:
Oak Dust on Facebook

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests