choices! Tiny terror or Or15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

choices! Tiny terror or Or15

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:46 am

Hello, I'm looking at picking one of these up in the next week or so but have a couple or questions for uses
A) when turned up how clean are the tones you can you get? I know there only 15 watt but when turned up in lowish gain settings can you still get a loudish cleanish tone, or does one have more headroom that the other?
B) How good are they with drive pedals going in through the front?
c) when turned up is there much difference in volume between 7 and 15 watt settings

Cheers
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Moonstone

Re: choices! Tiny terror or Or15

Post by Moonstone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:28 am

Hi, I've tried both and finally I bought the OR15.
Talking about cleans it's better the Tiny Terror, on or15 to get cleans you have to put the gain under 25% and turn down a bit the volume on guitar.

I haven't tried pedals, because both amps have a cool distortion that push you to play rock n roll riffs all day. I think that those amps doesn't need distortion pedals.

On the TT I don't remember, but the 7 watts mode on or15 I can hear a 5% volume drop, not much. But the things that you hear more is the lost of dynamics and the sound isn't fuller (but it's nice anyway), I've tried to play in 7 watts at home but after 5 minutes I switch again in 15 watts.
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 am

I think that you'll find the headroom similar on both amps - not all that much.

I think cleaning it up will be easier on the TT as it has less gain stages.
The other day I was playing my AD15 without any pedals, and just set the gain quite high, and rolled the neck pickup of my LP back for cleans. It worked really well liked that.

But in terms of pure clean headroom, i don't think there wil be much difference between them all, AD15, TT, DkT, #4 or OR15, the limiting factor being the 2 EL84.
There might be a very slight differences, but it's splitting hair really.

However, they may not all clean up as well when rolling the volume back.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 am

Unfortunately, if you need a true big clean headroom, I know only one solution... watts!!

But I'll follow this topic, I think about one of your 2 contenders as stage backup amp :wink:

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Hubaxe wrote:Unfortunately, if you need a true big clean headroom, I know only one solution... watts!!

But I'll follow this topic, I think about one of your 2 contenders as stage backup amp :wink:
Yep, I don't need clean cleans and already own 2 other 50 watt valve amps, one which is a Vox and really clean at really loud volume

No I'm looking for something that can fill in as a practice amp. I'm asking about cleans just to get a gauge of how practical each may be, If one for example can clean up from the guitar better then that may be my choice. At the minute I'm leaning towards a TT....
Last edited by Ronnie Robinson on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I think that you'll find the headroom similar on both amps - not all that much.

I think cleaning it up will be easier on the TT as it has less gain stages.
The other day I was playing my AD15 without any pedals, and just set the gain quite high, and rolled the neck pickup of my LP back for cleans. It worked really well liked that.

But in terms of pure clean headroom, i don't think there wil be much difference between them all, AD15, TT, DkT, #4 or OR15, the limiting factor being the 2 EL84.
There might be a very slight differences, but it's splitting hair really.

However, they may not all clean up as well when rolling the volume back.
Thanks for that,
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:05 pm

I guess it all depends... The OR15 is kinda a hybrid between the OR100 and RV tonewise IMO. If you want something different, go for the TT. I'd say the RV can do anything that the OR15 can even at lower volumes. I sold mine because I wanted a RV instead to have side by side with my OR100. Next step is a totally different beast. AD30 or CS50. Oh, I love this... :mrgreen:
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

TT! BEST AMP EVER!

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:32 pm

I like the cleans on my OR15, it can get really shimmery and loud with the gain at just 1 or 2 on the dial and vol halfway up. I love the cleans on the 15w more than the 7w option. A full EQ gives me an option to make it really sparkling clean. I am not sure about the TT though.

fishmanchu

Post by fishmanchu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:22 am

I haven't tried both, I only have an OR15, so I can't help with a comparison to a TT. I can help with your pedal inquiry though. I play a Bass Big Muff, Big Muff, BOSS DS1 and a Swollen Pickle though mine. I play everything from Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, Black Keys, QOTSA, White Stripes, RATM, Nirvana, Jane's, to AC/DC and the OR15 handles them all fine. I can't really speak to the cleans, because what I play is dirty/fuzzy. AC/DC is the only band I play w/out pedals. I think the gain that the head produces is fine to get close enough to their sound through an Orange. Hope this helps.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:24 pm

I've owned both and I'll never touch an OR15 again. The TT sounds so much better, unless you're trying to get into metal territory.

I can't comment on cleans. I use my volume knob so my cleans are always a little dirty. 7/15 watts is not much different in volume, that switch never really did anything good for me so I kept it on 15w. The TT takes pedals much better than some other amps like the Rockerverb.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Spaceboy1 wrote:I've owned both and I'll never touch an OR15 again. The TT sounds so much better, unless you're trying to get into metal territory.

I can't comment on cleans. I use my volume knob so my cleans are always a little dirty. 7/15 watts is not much different in volume, that switch never really did anything good for me so I kept it on 15w. The TT takes pedals much better than some other amps like the Rockerverb.
Thanks for that, very useful replies, Classic rock is where I'm at and I think it's likely the TT will be my choice but thankfully my local orange dealer has both in for me to try.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Spaceboy1 wrote:I've owned both and I'll never touch an OR15 again. The TT sounds so much better, unless you're trying to get into metal territory.

Thanks for that, very useful replies, Classic rock is where I'm at and I think it's likely the TT will be my choice but thankfully my local orange dealer has both in for me to try.
You should lay your hands on a hard wired one... If I get a second chance to buy that little sucker, I wouldn't hesitate.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Too right, I'ts in the back of my mind
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:47 am

I've played through both and bought an OR15. The TT is a great amp, but I think there's a little more versatility with the OR15 (EQ, FX loop). Plus it looks a whole hell of a lot cooler with the head sleeve/case and pics only.

IMO, the OR15 can do everything the TT can, but not the reverse.