NAD - Orange OR15 Head - Loving it :D

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: NAD - Orange OR15 Head - Loving it :D

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Orange tend to use reasonnably good valves on their amps, though the exact brand varies from time to time.

The transfomer is the same for all the lunch box 15w amps and the OR15, so that's not normal, they all switch between 7 and 15w, and all operate 2 EL84, so it makes sense to use it like that - they also get economies of scale that way and can probably get us some slightly cheaper amplifiers that way. :)

How are you getting on with it?
Have you used it live yet?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Orange tend to use reasonnably good valves on their amps, though the exact brand varies from time to time.

The transfomer is the same for all the lunch box 15w amps and the OR15, so that's not normal, they all switch between 7 and 15w, and all operate 2 EL84, so it makes sense to use it like that - they also get economies of scale that way and can probably get us some slightly cheaper amplifiers that way. :)

How are you getting on with it?
Have you used it live yet?
I am totally in love with it, I really like the raunchy tone, grainy, has balls so to speak, I am yet to go live with it, but I am pretty sure this will cut very well in a band situation.

Planning to record the amp with some backing track to hear how it cuts through there.
Les Paul Lover wrote:Orange tend to use reasonnably good valves on their amps, though the exact brand varies from time to time.

The transfomer is the same for all the lunch box 15w amps and the OR15, so that's not normal.
Did you mean it IS normal?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Eer yes...... I meant it is normal!!!! :D

And yes, you can get some replacement transformer to improve the amp, but that's quite expensive compared to the overall price of the amp. Some people say it's well worth doing, others say not.

My AD15 is meant to have cheaper transformer as in the early 2000s they didn't use the quality ones they do now - but the amps sounds freaking good already, so I'm not considering fitting better transformers.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Moonstone

Post by Moonstone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:44 am

Wait a second, when I bought my OR15, they said that it comes with Chinese valves. I have not opened my amp yet, who is right? OR15 comes with stock Chinese or JJ valves?
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am

Moonstone wrote:Wait a second, when I bought my OR15, they said that it comes with Chinese valves. I have not opened my amp yet, who is right? OR15 comes with stock Chinese or JJ valves?
Well, Mine did come with JJ's, would be great if you open up the back cover and see what you have in there. Pictures would be great too :D

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 am

Moonstone wrote:Wait a second, when I bought my OR15, they said that it comes with Chinese valves. I have not opened my amp yet, who is right? OR15 comes with stock Chinese or JJ valves?

They come with whatever valves are deemed good by Orange at the time.
Same thing for UK built amp, they use whatever good stock they have at hand.
Ant

Moonstone

Post by Moonstone » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Ok guys I can confirm that also my OR15 has JJ valves. Just checked :wink:
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

yep. the OR15 is a mighty sweet rockin little amp. have fun recording with it.

and: some players swear by chinese tubes - depends on the sound that they're looking for. this thread is gonna motivate me to swap things around a bit. so now that i've had mullard 84's, tung sol x7's and EH t7 in my TH30 for about a year - this would be a good time to swap all the stock chinese tubes back in and listen for myself.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Of the Orange A
Les Paul Lover wrote:

Yep Im sure thats right, of the Orange Amps Ive owned they' ve come with EHX, Groove Tubes, JJs, PM tubes or no name chinese tubes.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Used the FX loop for the first time in my life ever, and love it already.
Had borrowed a Boss DD7 from a friend and tried it with a super cheap ass strat copy, less than 50 USD IIRC.
Please let me know what you guys think...

https://soundcloud.com/aryasridhar/or15-delay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Of the Orange A
Les Paul Lover wrote:

Yep Im sure thats right, of the Orange Amps Ive owned they' ve come with EHX, Groove Tubes, JJs, PM tubes or no name chinese tubes.
right. the UK made oranges have better quality stock tubes than my chinese made th30. i wonder if that applies to the tramsformers too?
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:11 pm

onetracker wrote: right. the UK made oranges have better quality stock tubes than my chinese made th30. i wonder if that applies to the tramsformers too?
Maybe, A good chunk of money goes into transformers in tube amp construction, those transformers in the UK made oranges may be better, or who knows, it may just be the same quality as the ones used in maybe a TT, DT, OR etc, but since labor in UK is HIGH, people pay for that than the real stuff in the transformer.

arya.sridhar
Tiny Terror

Post by arya.sridhar » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:25 am

Did a little recording with my iphone, Crunch Love :D

https://soundcloud.com/aryasridhar/or15 ... -recording" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;