Yamaha THR10? (Sorry, not particularly Orange related...)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Yamaha THR10? (Sorry, not particularly Orange related...)

Post by jesperbc » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi guys

I think it's been several months since I posted about my practice situation at home, about how the missus didn't like me playing in the living room, 'cause then she couldn't hear the TV, and so on and so on... (Really do love, despite...)

Just today, I was in my local 4Sound store - local retailer, and I remembered that I had to try out the Yamaha THR10. I must say, I was blown away with how good it sounds for a small digital amp with hi-fi stereo speakers. It really responds well to picking dynamics, volume and tone controls, pickups selection and all the standard stuff that you expect a good tube amp to do.

However, since I only got to try it out with a guitar off the wall, I'm wondering if anyone here has any hands-on experience with these?

I'm wondering how it responds to high output pickups? I have an ESP LTD Deluxe with some fairly high output BKP Nailbombs installed and a Tele with BKP's highest output Tele pickups - the Piledriver set.

Also, I'm curious to how well it takes pedals. I know it's a digital, transistor-y amp modelling thing-a-majig, but in the Andertons videos on Youtube, Julian from Yamaha is talking about how they simulate the amps on a circuit level, modelling resistors, tubes, etc., which leads me to thinking that it might not be impossible to use a drive pedal or two before the input?!

Any input in regards to these amps is welcome. Also the USB connectivity is really cool.

Thanks in advance.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Yamaha THR10? (Sorry, not particularly Orange related...

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:17 pm

What about...

Micro terror? Headphone jack!
Zoom modeling pedal? These don't actually sound that bad for practicing. I think there is a vintage Orange model in the G3.
Amplitube software with the orange amp package?
Mesa CabClone? I don't remember which Orange amp you have, but you will need at least 30 (loud) watts to have decent headroom.
Strymon BigSky with the cabinet sim engaged?

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:30 pm

jesperbc wrote:Hi guys

I think it's been several months since I posted about my practice situation at home, about how the missus didn't like me playing in the living room, 'cause then she couldn't hear the TV, and so on and so on... (Really do love, despite...)

Just today, I was in my local 4Sound store - local retailer, and I remembered that I had to try out the Yamaha THR10. I must say, I was blown away with how good it sounds for a small digital amp with hi-fi stereo speakers. It really responds well to picking dynamics, volume and tone controls, pickups selection and all the standard stuff that you expect a good tube amp to do.

However, since I only got to try it out with a guitar off the wall, I'm wondering if anyone here has any hands-on experience with these?

I'm wondering how it responds to high output pickups? I have an ESP LTD Deluxe with some fairly high output BKP Nailbombs installed and a Tele with BKP's highest output Tele pickups - the Piledriver set.

Also, I'm curious to how well it takes pedals. I know it's a digital, transistor-y amp modelling thing-a-majig, but in the Andertons videos on Youtube, Julian from Yamaha is talking about how they simulate the amps on a circuit level, modelling resistors, tubes, etc., which leads me to thinking that it might not be impossible to use a drive pedal or two before the input?!

Any input in regards to these amps is welcome. Also the USB connectivity is really cool.

Thanks in advance.
The THR10 really is a great amp. I got my mate onto one as his old practice amp blew up and he was about to re-locate from Australia to Canada so wasn't sure if he should buy anything. I got him to try the THR10 and he loved it. Even better, it fit in his carry on when he went to Canada.

We have tried a few pedals through it and it sounded great. For home use I really can't see a better option if you want a bunch of sounds that really nail the amps they are modelling in a small package. Hell, it even takes batteries :mrgreen:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:21 pm

I found the THR5 to be an incredibly good low-volume practice amp. I have no idea why it sounds like a tube amp when all other tube-modeling stuff seems to fall short, but it is really convincing. Don't crank it though - the speakers will fart-out very easily. I didn't try any pedals through it, but it has a lot of built-in bells and whistles with which to fiddle.

S&m freddy

Post by S&m freddy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:26 am

I use a THR10 for home practice and I love it. It responds well to pedals and to the guitars volume control and pickups.....remarkably like a good tube amp. It is just as good with Humbuckers as single coils. The Cab sims make a massive difference to the sound so worth using the editor to tweak these to taste. It does still have a digital edge to the sound but is more satisfying than any other modeller I have played. The onboard effects are good quality too. The THR10 goes quite loud but sounds best at home/bedroom levels. You can also play bass and acoustics through it..... I have even used it as a preamp from the headphone out....for a live mandolin into a pa before....but it was a bit noisy!
Jim Root #4
Cornford RK100 and MK50
Cornford and Trace Elliot cabs
Gibson, Gordon Smith, Musicman, Fender guitars

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:25 pm

I love mine. The cleans are fantastic. It takes pedals well. The editing software is great for fine tuning everything just the way you want it. The plate reverb is sounds amazing. My favorite reverb effect out there. Wish I could take out of the THR10 and use it on my Orange.