Booster pedals for guitar solos

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

John_BlackWolf
Tiny Terror

Re: Booster pedals for guitar solos

Post by John_BlackWolf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 pm

For boosting solo volume. I've always found that a 'rhythm cut' works better. Put an eq or volume pedal in the fx loop, set your solo (loudest) volume when the pedal is bypassed. Then kick in the pedal and choose your rhythm volume.
Dual Dark 50
PPC-212
Hardwired Tiny Terror

http://www.facebook.com/iLLUSTR8ORS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S&m freddy

Post by S&m freddy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:31 pm

John_BlackWolf wrote:For boosting solo volume. I've always found that a 'rhythm cut' works better. Put an eq or volume pedal in the fx loop, set your solo (loudest) volume when the pedal is bypassed. Then kick in the pedal and choose your rhythm volume.
I used to do that with a simple volume pedal...a clean boost works as well....doesn't damage the amp...and you need very little boost (or cut) in the loop to get a big change of level. It seems Orange are big in Bristol!
Jim Root #4
Cornford RK100 and MK50
Cornford and Trace Elliot cabs
Gibson, Gordon Smith, Musicman, Fender guitars

wbm

Post by wbm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Just to point out the obvious, if you have your amp to set up with distortion already, no matter what you put in the front will NOT increase volume. It will only add more gain. Putting a booster in front of an amp for volume increase only works if you play into a clean(ish) amp.
But you didn't buy an OR15 for clean now, did you?
If you want a volume boost and the amp is already set up for moderate or high gain, you only can get a volume boost by putting something in the effects loop, and then only if it is not a parallel loop. It needs to be a series effects loop (which yours is btw)

You can also try a BadCat Unleash. Gives you potentially a lot more volume and two switchable master volumes.

Jazzmaster

Post by Jazzmaster » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 pm

I have a boss feedbacker/booster and it work well with a TT. I always play my TT nearly all open, so a clean boost doesnt work very well. It dont get me more volume. But, the feedbacker/booster works because you can set it with a mid bump. Mids are what makes you being heard in the mix.
I think the TC Spark also have a mid bump switch.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Woops, forgot to mention the Pigtronix Class A Boost. If you want something a bit different with a 3 band EQ, check out the Hungry Robot Bumblebee.

Moonstone

Post by Moonstone » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 am

wbm wrote:Just to point out the obvious, if you have your amp to set up with distortion already, no matter what you put in the front will NOT increase volume. It will only add more gain. Putting a booster in front of an amp for volume increase only works if you play into a clean(ish) amp.
Right, I love its distortion.
wbm wrote:You can also try a BadCat Unleash. Gives you potentially a lot more volume and two switchable master volumes.
Man, that little magic box is what I need! Is there anything like that but a lot cheaper? :D
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wbm

Post by wbm » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Moonstone wrote:
wbm wrote:Just to point out the obvious, if you have your amp to set up with distortion already, no matter what you put in the front will NOT increase volume. It will only add more gain. Putting a booster in front of an amp for volume increase only works if you play into a clean(ish) amp.
Right, I love its distortion.
wbm wrote:You can also try a BadCat Unleash. Gives you potentially a lot more volume and two switchable master volumes.
Man, that little magic box is what I need! Is there anything like that but a lot cheaper? :D

Not that I know of, but I got my Unleash from Prymaxe Vintage during one of their 20% off deals (which happen quite frequently btw).

StinkMitten

Post by StinkMitten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 pm

If you want a volume boost and the amp is already set up for moderate or high gain, you only can get a volume boost by putting something in the effects loop, and then only if it is not a parallel loop. It needs to be a series effects loop (which yours is btw)

You can also try a BadCat Unleash. Gives you potentially a lot more volume and two switchable master volumes.
I disagree and you're not pointing out anything obvious. Sound like taste is subjective.

I run my Spark mini and the very front of my line, Mini->EHX Memory Toy->MT-2->Crybaby->Micro Terror and everything gets a volume boost from the Spark Mini. It doesn't affect the MT-2 sound whatsoever, it just provides a clean volume boost. I set the Spark mini to 9 o'clock which isn't a lot but the difference in volume isn't a placebo…it's real.

Moonstone

Post by Moonstone » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Well I've done some tests on OR15 with my singer's Pickup Booster.

Playing with volume at 85% and and distortion at 50%:
-With the booster inside the amp input I can get only more saturation, but no volume boost
-Booster in the FX loop doesn't add saturation, only in this way it adds more volume. However I can get a "massive" volume boost if I turn down the volume from the amp.

Less volume on amp, more boost.
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Welcome!

Xotic RC Booster, EP Booster <-- very popular options.
Timmy, Tim
Fulltone OCD
Wampler Euphoria <-- personal favorite.
ZVex SHO
Keely Katana
TC Spark <-- praised around here.
MXR Micro Amp <-- also receives much praise.
Any EQ pedal <-- a frequently overlooked option.
I heard Orange is finicky with pedals, don't know if its true or not. Have you tried all these pedals and they all sound good through an Orange? I was gonna suggest a Boss GE7 eq pedal set as a clean boost, works very well through my amps - non Oranges though.
Thunderverb 50

wbm

Post by wbm » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

StinkMitten wrote:

I disagree and you're not pointing out anything obvious. Sound like taste is subjective.

I run my Spark mini and the very front of my line, Mini->EHX Memory Toy->MT-2->Crybaby->Micro Terror and everything gets a volume boost from the Spark Mini. It doesn't affect the MT-2 sound whatsoever, it just provides a clean volume boost. I set the Spark mini to 9 o'clock which isn't a lot but the difference in volume isn't a placebo…it's real.
Hmm, maybe one of us is misunderstanding each other here. I said, when your amp is set to clean(ish) boosting in the front gets you more volume. If your amp is set to already have distortion (not from a distortion pedal in front of the amp obviously), you will only get more gain, not volume - think of it like increasing preamp gain as opposed to power amp volume output.
From looking your pedal chain - which I find odd as usually Delay is last in line, not before a distortion pedal - it looks like your amp would be set clean(ish) and you get your distortion from the Metal Zone pedal. If your booster is in front of the MT-2 and the MT-2 is on and set to have at least some mild gain, you cannot get a volume boost with the booster pedal first. At least not according to the laws of Physics / Electronics.
I could see the following work with your setup. MT-2 < Wah < Delay < Spark Mini < Amp set to clean. That way you would get a volume boost with your Spark as it sits after the distortion. You might also want to try to put the Wah before the MT-2 btw.
I would have to disagree with you too then, as I don't think the laws of Physics or Electronics have anything to with "subjective taste" ;)

rich724

Post by rich724 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 pm

You may also want to look at the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. Has boost and OD built in.