Life Realization - I've never touched my Tone knob...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orange Hero

Life Realization - I've never touched my Tone knob...

Post by 0000 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 pm

In the 15 years I've been playing guitar, I just realized I've never ONCE used the Tone knob on any of the guitars I've owned. It's always set on 10. Occasionally it may accidentally get turned and I'll question why my guitar sounds all muddy and flat, then I'll realize... God damn tone knob!

Maybe I'm just unadventurous or really set in my ways of my guitar tone always being clear, bright and sharp. Regardless, I've never found the Tone knob useful for anything. If a darker tone was desired... the neck pickup is always there (but sometimes that rarely gets used).

I think this will be my next custom built EGC guitar... Might as well do away with the Volume too while I'm at it, because even that rarely get used.

-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Life Realization - I've never touched my Tone knob...

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Sounds like that guitar will suit you very well.....but I must admit I would not buy a guitar with no tone knob I like a flutey neck pick up sound too much ...even on my tele and a Strat bridge is too trebly, even harsh (imo) without one
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I can certainly see Tone control being most useful on a Fender, having the longer scale neck and brighter pickups, then on say a Gibson with humbuckers.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:09 pm

I only use my volume knob to cut the sound off. Otherwise, it'll all always set to full.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I only use my volume knob to cut the sound off. Otherwise, it'll all always set to full.
Exactly... and I have two pedals (tuners and ABY box) which will basically do that when engaged... thus realizing maybe I don't even need a volume knob. Occasionally do volume swells with an echo pedal, but that gets gimmicky fast.

Lots of people say they used the volume knob to roll it back for a cleaner sound when there amp is really crunchy. Having played several single channel amps, I've attempted this several times for a pseudo-cleanish tone... but there's always a very tiny window of useable tone that's like a hairpin of a turn on the knob. In a live setting, nailing that EXACT spot on the volume knob is impossible, especially when the knobs have no markings. My old Junior has numbers and the metal pointer "thumb cutter", so it's possible with that. Maybe the volume pots on my guitars have never been smooth enough of a taper. Doesn't matter anyway when you have multiple amp settings and pedals.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:08 pm

My Deluxe Big Muff cleans up nicely when I roll off the volume, so I tend to use my volume knob a bit more than just turning of the guitar between songs.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 pm

everybody has there own way of doing it but there is so much fine tuning and tweaking that you can do with both tone and volume. I play with mine a lot and set them different sometimes right in the middle of playing live I'm able to tweak it and make it sound better to my ears. I really like rolling off the tone know while using the neck pickup.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:55 pm

I recently rebuilt an old strat, putting two humbuckers in and two volume controls. left the tone knobs out for the same reason.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm a Gibson man, SG and lp, and like you say...why tone knobs? But when reading this post I've decided to do a little expertiment. I'm gunna role both tone knobs back to 5 and then set up my amps eq afterwards....never tried it that way before. Who knows, might put me in some kind of "tone nirvana"
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Never used the tone knob here. Just recently started using the volume knob however. I sold off the overdrive/distortion pedals and started treating the R30 as a single channel amp. It has worked out pretty well TBH. Quite strange at first to adjust the volume knob while playing after some 20 years of never using it.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm

0000 wrote: Lots of people say they used the volume knob to roll it back for a cleaner sound when there amp is really crunchy. Having played several single channel amps, I've attempted this several times for a pseudo-cleanish tone... but there's always a very tiny window of useable tone that's like a hairpin of a turn on the knob. In a live setting, nailing that EXACT spot on the volume knob is impossible, especially when the knobs have no markings. My old Junior has numbers and the metal pointer "thumb cutter", so it's possible with that. Maybe the volume pots on my guitars have never been smooth enough of a taper. Doesn't matter anyway when you have multiple amp settings and pedals.
You're thinking about it too much. There is no exact point that you're shooting for. You're not looking at the knob, you're using year ear.

After a while, it becomes instinctual. I don't even think about it anymore. My hand is constantly varying my level of breakup through pick attack and riding the volume knob. After playing like this for a while, I don't know how I ever did things differently. I cater my dynamics to the band. I don't want to step on a pedal or footswitch and toggle between volume/gain/breakup levels that may or may not sit in properly at that particular moment.

Every venue and room is different. Maybe the drummer is hitting a little harder in a larger room. Maybe he's laying back at a more low key club. By riding the volume knob, I have the ability to dial in the perfect amount of volume and breakup at any given moment. I'm never stuck stepping on a footswitching and having my volume a little too high or low, or wanting a little more or less saturation. You control everything in real time, as you need it. It's as simple as that.

As someone who plays a Matchless, i'm actually astounded that you don't use your volume knob, or at least a volume pedal. A huge strong point of an amp like that is how responsive it is. Personally, i'd want to take advantage of that. But we all have our own ways of doing things.

I use the tone knobs on my brighter guitars, just to shave a little top end off with most amps, but not all. My Tele, Rickenbackers, and SG '61 RI. The Les Pauls stay wide open all the time.

Sweet guitar, by the way.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:23 pm

There is a bit of theme in this thread...if it's a humbucker equipped guitar leave the tone alone but if it's something else maybe a little turn here or there. That's definitely true for me...the tone stays wide open on my LP but with my Tele's the tone knob is vital!
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Woman tone ftw !!!

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Using the tone and volume controls is equivalent to varying the angle of pencils and paintbrushes when drawing and painting; achieving varying shades and effects. Art would be pretty boring if the tools weren’t manipulated in this way.

Same goes for guitar. Manipulating controls and varying picking dynamics enhances the finished product.

I constantly ride my tone and volume controls to achieve different shades. After a while it becomes instinctive.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:35 am

I touch my tone knob all the time. I always have to turn down the tone control on bridge pickups, even with humbucklers.