New Amp from Mesa

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

New Amp from Mesa

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Take a look at this little amp, seems very intriguing to me and could solve several issue for me in certain settings. However the biggest question of course is what does it sound like.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mark525H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: New Amp from Mesa

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Could be a great amp - but soooo many knobs!!!!! :lol:

How does that EQ malarky work?

1 EQ for each channel, and 1 further EQ?
I like that each channel can get its own reverb leve setting. Thats's a good one.

But that really brings home why I love my AD15 and RV50 so much. Great sounding and dead simple to use.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Could be a great amp - but soooo many knobs!!!!! :lol:

How does that EQ malarky work?

1 EQ for each channel, and 1 further EQ?
I like that each channel can get its own reverb leve setting. Thats's a good one.

But that really brings home why I love my AD15 and RV50 so much. Great sounding and dead simple to use.
I hear you, I have the or and cs50 and both are amazingly simple to use and I like that about orange amps, I do however like the option of having a big tonal range and few do as good a job offering that as mesa does. The channel eq is just like any other eq but the separate eq from the way I understand is almost like a built in eq pedal to further fine tune specific tones. I have never owned a mesa with the 5 band EQ, but on the regular Mark V I believe it can be turned on or off so to speak or I guess a better way to say is it can be engaged or disengaged.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 pm

I've owned three Mesa Boogie guitar amps and I've never liked any of them. I don't know how to describe their sound, but musical is not it.

Their bass amps on the other hand.... I've had a Bass 400+ for like 20 years and I've never heard a bass amp that comes close. It's amazing! However, I'm not looking forward to retubing it. Twelve 6L6s will be hard to match up :shock:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Gladmarr wrote:I don't know how to describe their sound, but musical is not it.
That's the best description I've ever heard. Also could apply to PRS guitars...

Actually, the best nondescript guitar sound you could ever get would be a PRS through a Mesa...

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Gladmarr wrote:I've owned three Mesa Boogie guitar amps and I've never liked any of them. I don't know how to describe their sound, but musical is not it.

Their bass amps on the other hand.... I've had a Bass 400+ for like 20 years and I've never heard a bass amp that comes close. It's amazing! However, I'm not looking forward to retubing it. Twelve 6L6s will be hard to match up :shock:
WHICH 3 HAVE YOU OWNED because I have owned many through the years and I will agree with your sentiment on some of them but 1. The Lone Star Special 2. Stiletto Ace 3. Electra Dyne and the TA 30 were all very musical and nice sounding amps.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

bclaire wrote:
Gladmarr wrote:I don't know how to describe their sound, but musical is not it.
That's the best description I've ever heard. Also could apply to PRS guitars...

Actually, the best nondescript guitar sound you could ever get would be a PRS through a Mesa...
Just curious as to if you have played a sc-45 or an sc-58 prs, I have not but I have always wondered what they sound like. I owned a prs Tremonti and it was ok, I sold it, a custom 24 sold it and currently have a prs 513 and have held onto it because it is so diverse and unique but even with it I am not overly fond of the tone.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:18 pm

So you already have 4 knobs to set the EQ (Bass, Mids, Treble and Presence)... but then you also have a 5 band EQ? That's so excessive. Just leave those to the sound guy on his station. Then on top of it all, you have tons of little tiny 3-way toggles to further change the tone settings. Jesus.

Do one thing and do it good, has never been Mesa's philosophy with an amp. Same with Line-6. Each amp has to be able to replicate 500 different amp sounds.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:16 pm

0000 wrote:So you already have 4 knobs to set the EQ (Bass, Mids, Treble and Presence)... but then you also have a 5 band EQ? That's so excessive. Just leave those to the sound guy on his station. Then on top of it all, you have tons of little tiny 3-way toggles to further change the tone settings. Jesus.

Do one thing and do it good, has never been Mesa's philosophy with an amp. Same with Line-6. Each amp has to be able to replicate 500 different amp sounds.
I would not say that mesa tries to replicate lots of different amps, but they usually in an amp like this give you 2-3 different amps and lots of tweak ability with those amps. However it is a misconception that they don't have any simple amps, look that Electra dyne, 1 channel 3 band EQ and 3 modes, very simple and very nice amp, also the RA100 is pretty straitfoward.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Everything I had was old stuff. I think I had a mk I head (no EQ), a mk iii combo (with silly EQ), and I think another mk I combo (with EQ). So, to be fair, I've never played a rectifier of any sort or anything more modern. I had already found Oranges by then, so there was no real point.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:01 pm

I think the best mesas I've played were the F50/F30...relatively simple and to the point. Don't forget, you need an amp that pairs well with your guitar. I think it's fairly safe to say that we are all "gibson-like or fender-like" design lovers.....mostly meaning wide and subtle sonic range with tight, upfront middle. Oranges are perfectly matched to this classic design. If you start getting into active pickups, and play through an Orange, you may think actives suck (which they kinda do :lol: )...but play them through and amp designed for the musical style where actives are usually employed, and suddenly they work.

About the knobs...usually I spend about a week flicking toggles etc until I get the best sound out of the amp. After that, they tend to all but rust in position for me, as I don't like change. :mrgreen: I think you don't need to keep tweaking them.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:24 pm

I'd be curious to hear one...
Paul.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 pm

OrangePaul wrote:I'd be curious to hear one...
As you wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuF5n9 ... IfESwI7ueA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks...

They even put in a PRS for Billy at the 7.40 mark :lol:
Paul.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm

It looks pretty good on paper, but maybe a little pricey compared to (somewhat) similar amps like the OR15. I only have experience with the Lonestar, which was nice at lower volumes.