New Amp from Mesa

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: New Amp from Mesa

Post by a.hun » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 am

fiveightandten wrote:Sometimes there's a difference between what's reliable on paper, and what's reliable in the real world. Mesa and Peavey are both known for having very reliable amps. By design, and implementation of that design.

-Nick
Exactly. And the point here is that both makes bias cool stock. This actually means that though we're talking fixed bias you can usually bung virtually any old (preferably!) matched set in and NOT have to worry about biasing!
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly can't remember when I last changed the valves in my Mesa or Classic 30. Sure they don't get much hard use these days but they both used to go for years with no problems(*) back when they'd get thrashed regularly.
(*Well the C.30 has a habit of vibrating the valves into microphony but that is a different thing and something I usually just ignore! :wink:)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Only 6x 12ax7s? Mesa, I'm disappointed.

jdm
Tiny Terror

Post by jdm » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:07 am

Can't say for certain how old the valves were in my peavey - looked like the originals and my guess was about 8 year old

Very easy swap - matched pair in then go
The TT / Rockerverb appreciation society......

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:58 am

indianDYsummer wrote:Only 6x 12ax7s? Mesa, I'm disappointed.
No you're not... :lol:

Like I said, lovers and haters are all coming out to play. I've got nothing against nice simple easy to dial in amps, but that doesn't mean there is no room for others.

BTW my AC30 has 6 preamp valves (plus a rectifier and 4 power valves = 11 in total), 3 channels and 6 inputs. Totally OTT, right?
Les Paul Lover wrote:
a.hun wrote:If you do love tweaking amps (or are up to playing very different gigs - jazz through blues through reggae to rock say) this one might keep you very happy for decades.
That does very much describe what both my Oranges can do..... ;)
Sure, I'd rate both my OR and (especially) the Rocker as very versatile amps. Of course there is one little thing they don't do so well which is to sound like anything other than an Orange. And despite loving Oranges I do think there is room for other sounds too!

Andy.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:24 pm

a.hun wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:Only 6x 12ax7s? Mesa, I'm disappointed.
No you're not... :lol:

Like I said, lovers and haters are all coming out to play. I've got nothing against nice simple easy to dial in amps, but that doesn't mean there is no room for others.

BTW my AC30 has 6 preamp valves (plus a rectifier and 4 power valves = 11 in total), 3 channels and 6 inputs. Totally OTT, right?
Les Paul Lover wrote:
a.hun wrote:If you do love tweaking amps (or are up to playing very different gigs - jazz through blues through reggae to rock say) this one might keep you very happy for decades.
That does very much describe what both my Oranges can do..... ;)
Sure, I'd rate both my OR and (especially) the Rocker as very versatile amps. Of course there is one little thing they don't do so well which is to sound like anything other than an Orange. And despite loving Oranges I do think there is room for other sounds too!

Andy.

Andy.

BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!!!! BURN 'EM!!!!!! :lol:

You know what - that's exactly what put the final nail in my recent Laney aquisition. It's got a clean channel and a dirty channel, like my RV50 - and there's no chance I'll pick that (very nice sounding) Laney if the RV50 is sitting next to it. It just doesn't sound like that Orange....... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!!!! BURN 'EM!!!!!! :lol:
Damn, forgot to put my flame suit on again... :lol:

Andy.

n00b334
Tiny Terror

Post by n00b334 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 am

I love the full size Mesa Mark V and I hate Mesa for making a smaller more affordable version :oops: GAS. You guys will get a kick out of this but there is a youtube video of John Petrucci talking about his favorite settings on the Mark V and it's broken down into two parts for a total of 18 minutes :lol:
Gibson SG and Fender Stratocaster
Orange OR50H