New amp day...... Advice needed!! :)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WackoJacko7

New amp day...... Advice needed!! :)

Post by WackoJacko7 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:39 pm

So I picked up my Rockerverb 50Mkii last night.... Delighted!! :D

I've plugged it into my PPC212 today to try and find a nice tone with my Les Paul, it's slowly but surely getting there but just wondering what you guys are dialling in to get that sweet sound?

Also with regards pedals what do you find works well? I was running a Fulltone OCD into it today but it sounded a little "wooly" in comparison to the beastly sound it gave me when plugged into my Dual Terror. I'm sure it's just a case of tweaking but would be interested to hear what other guys are running.
http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/micha ... 7.png.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: New amp day...... Advice needed!! :)

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Congrats on your new RV50 !!!

As far as I'm more concerned, LP straight in is pretty much tone heaven!!!! How did you set your tone control on your terror? It's a simple treble bleed control - simple but effective - whereas you now have full 3 band eq.

Which channel did find wooly? I find the clean channel benefits from slightly more bass than mids, and more treble than bass - it gets, especially with a LP, a quite bright sparkly clean tone.

I usually set my dirty channel with bass at noon, a nice mid hump, and the treble a touch over half way.

But that's what I like, and mine is a mkI. TBH, it sounds pretty darn good at any settings - which is pretty good considering that my son (2yo) likes turning knobs quite a bit
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

WackoJacko7

Post by WackoJacko7 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Haha tell me about it.... I got a half decent tone and then my 18month old came in and tweaked everything!! :lol:

I managed to get a nice tone out of the clean channel easily enough and then had the OCD set with the drive pretty low so it gave my clean channel just a little bit of break up when engaged which was sweet.

When I switched over to the dirty channel it all got a bit muffled. I had the gain set at about 10 o'clock. Since then I brought the treble and the mid up and the bass down so currently running treble at about 1 o'clock, mid at 2 and bass rolled back to about 10 o'clock and it's starting to get there. Can't seem to get the OCD playing nice with the dirty channel though.... With the Dual Terror I used to kick it in to boost my dirty sound and also found it gave my sound more clarity. I had heard rumours that the Rockerverbs didn't play nice with pedals but so far it sounds pretty sweet with everything except overdrive.... Well except for on the clean channel!! :lol:
http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/micha ... 7.png.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:38 pm

If you just need the pedal to boost your signal, get a boost pedal. IMHO the Rockerverb's sound at their best on their own when it comes to producing an overdriven tone. The same goes for the OR100. I used to have OD's in my chain but no more. No need.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:46 am

Nice purchase it's a great amp. For me, gain setting at 11 o'clock volume at 12 o'clock using a Les Paul sounds great
Highly recommend getting an MXR Micro Amp pedal sounds lovely on both channels, fattens up and makes the sound more gritty on the clean channel and adds gain and some volume to the dirty channel it's one pedal that really work so well with Orange amps.

I also use the OCD with my Rv50. I know what you mean by wooly and generally don't use it too much expect to give an overdriven solo tone over the clean channel

Enjoy
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Volume 10-11
Gain 11-12
Treb 1
Mids 2
Bass 10

Gets me nice classic rock tone.....I usually role of the volume just a tad and use a mxr boost for just that. For more highgain stuff I push the gain up to around 1 and role back on the volume. The 212 closed back and mkll sound alot better when they get some air to move....finding a real sweet spot in the rehersal studio has been rather tough after having heard it in larger rooms!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

WackoJacko7

Post by WackoJacko7 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Cheers guys. Yeah I've spent a bit of time with it today and the sound I have in my head is pretty much there. Running my treble at 1, mid at 2 and bass at 10.... Loving the sound, especially on the Dirty channel... my god, it is awesome!!! :lol: Still haven't had the chance to crank it anywhere near loud enough though as I've just been toying with it at home.

I love the clean tone out of it as well, just couldn't get anywhere near this kind of sound with the Dual Terror.

The OCD definitely works better on the clean channel just to give me a slightly overdriven tone, still doesn't cut it on the dirty channel though.... might look into something like a Suhr Koko, BB Preamp or TC Spark just to allow me to push that dirty channel a little harder when I need it, plus it should also double up at what the OCD is currently doing for me on the clean channel seeing as I'm only running the drive on the OCD at about 8o'clock.... very low!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 pm

It's funny how different the clean and dirty channel are on the RV50. I think they both have their different preamp section, though I haven't looked at the schematics, and I'm not sure I would understand it all anyway!

The clean channel is very open, and the dirty channel very compressed - it gives you a great range of tones. The amount of low end is pretty impressive too, occasionally can be too much on the dirty channel - but at least it can be rolled off!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 pm

I find these threads interesting.

EQ SUGGESTIONS! There are only three knobs... just turn them!

If we were talking about a triple rectumfrier I might understand but an Orange amp?

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I find these threads interesting.

If we were talking about a triple rectumfrier I might understand but an Orange amp?
:lol:
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 am

Bensnake wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:I find these threads interesting.

:lol:
Seriously. People asking for settings on an amp with only 3 knobs is so silly. Set the volume and level of gain you need, then set the bass/mids/treble at half way and fiddle with each to see how it changes the sound. SUPER basic. Learning to train your ear and knowing what sound you prefer is crucial to playing guitar.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:52 am

Frankly, if you can't get excited about your brand new shiny amp and ask others basic tips and pointers, then it's quite sad.

Sure the Op will work it all out, and will set it however he wants it, it doesn't mean he's daft for asking, does it?

Hell, i like to get excited about gear.
Ant

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:58 am

I agree..... Forum's are ideal for picking others brains
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

WackoJacko7

Post by WackoJacko7 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:34 pm

:lol: I get what you're saying about the simplicity of the 3 band eq.... I was just looking to get a quick fix on that as I haven't had the opportunity to crank it as yet :D

My main thing was with regards to effects that work well with the RV as my OCD, that was amazing with my DT, doesn't sound half as good with the RV on the dirty channel. The RV is a completely different beast. So I'm gonna give it a spin with an EP booster this evening that I borrowed and a BB Preamp later in the week..... hopefully I start getting close to what I'm hearing in my head.

I was also looking at a Suhr Koko boost... any of you guys use one before???

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Please heed my advice: That sweet sound you want? Break in the speakers....abuse the sh*t out of them at high volume for a long time. Then turn the gain back to about 5-6, and turn the master up to a comfortable level. Mids on 7, Bass on 5, Treble on 5-8 depending.

Just tape a couch cusion or two to the front to muffle the speaker and let 'er rip with full barre chords for at least 3 hours on full blast.

I'm not BS ing you. :wink: