I have bad news...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

n00b334
Tiny Terror

I have bad news...

Post by n00b334 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Gibson is increasing prices on their guitars by up to 29% and cutting back on the models they offer. The article is provided in the link. It looks like my next Gibby will be from the bay.

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increa ... n=rn091014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibson SG and Fender Stratocaster
Orange OR50H

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: I have bad news...

Post by MikeD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Damn.....time to get that next gibby before the used market sky rockets!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:46 pm

That's bad news for Gibson. 29% is ridiculous especially when good guitars are cheaper than ever, (considering inflation over the years).

n00b334
Tiny Terror

Post by n00b334 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Jondog wrote:That's bad news for Gibson. 29% is ridiculous especially when good guitars are cheaper than ever, (considering inflation over the years).
It is bad news for Gibson but it's terrible news for the market. Seems like this could go two ways. Gibson still sells well and other companies hike up their prices too or Gibson doesn't sell because other companies don't hike up their prices.
Gibson SG and Fender Stratocaster
Orange OR50H

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Utterly ridiculous. Though, i'd be curious to see what the price increase is for the rest of the line. 29% is completely unjustified for a product that doesn't see any notable changes. Let's see if that's actually the case, and see if that is a typical increase across the line.

Sadly, I bet they know exactly what they're doing. They've established their guitars in the market as a status symbol. People will still buy them, even at an insane price increase. But when you're pulling in an extra $880 per unit, you can take a substantial hit in sales. Your products, then, become even more exclusive. The used market prices will go up, thus shrinking the difference between new and used back to a delta that's comparable to what was there before the increase.

It'll be curious t see if other companies follow suit or not.

I love my Gibsons, and with a recent salary raise, I was thinking about treating myself to a new one with my tax return this year. If things really are as this article paints them, that idea is right out the window. They were tough to justify before. Nearly $900 *more* for a LP standard? The price increase is roughly the amount that I *paid* for my '92 standard.

If I get a new guitar, i'm getting a Fender.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Doesn't surprise me. The management at Gibson seem 'more than a little out of touch' IMO. (I'm being nice BTW!)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 pm

You know, I'm not sure this is such a bad idea. IMO the Orange brand has been diluted quite a bit (as of late) by cheaper products (especially with their introduction of starter guitar kits, and moving to PRC construction). It's quite rare in my area to see a proper UK made Orange amp. There is something about cutting back on their lower end models, and focusing on producing a superb high quality product that is appealing to me.

My only concern is that they won't be able to compete at this price point, and will end up laying off tons of staff. There are lots of good quality guitars out there for way under a grand.

Regarding the robot tuners, It's not a huge deal. They are much smaller than they used to be, and you can tune it the traditional way if you prefer. I'm thinking they will most likely allow buyers to choose between robo tuning and standard pegs.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:04 am

This is a disgrace prices have already increased in the UK massively over the last 6 years and this increase is likely to even greater here
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:16 am

I already won't buy a new LP over 2000 $, I will certainly not over 3500 $.
At those price tag, how many of you will be more tempted by a 30 years old LP than a brand new one?

Not sure it's a wise move from Gibson to do that, but an army of marketing and sale people certainly have good reasons to lean to those decisions.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:06 am

I remember the big hike their prices made in 2008-9. Five years ago, SG Standards were a grand USD and LP standards were 2,200. I wonder if Fender will follow suit again as both Fender and Gibson came to the same conclusion as their prices rose by about 25% across the market those too few years ago.

Shame, though, I've been scrimping and saving this year for a third guitar, a high end purchase. Looks like the scales have tipped in G&L's favor, though! A fully custom ordered handbuilt USA tele for a little over 1,600? Yes, please.

Sorry, Gypson, but at that level, I really don't think the prices justify the product when you compare the craftmanship to other custom guitar manufacturers. My dream of a CS Silverburst Les Paul is dead.

Wow, though! I know a lot of you are contemplating the rush to pick up a 2014 but can you really afford not to wait and pay 900 more for a new non-market tested nut, wider fretboard, robot tuners, and A REMOVABLE PICKGUARD WITHOUT NEEDING SCREWS ON LPS, topped off with a brilliantly delicious altered signature logo? :lol: In all seriousness, it's sad to see they are limiting finish types, finish styles, and especially models, as those weird specials and deluxes were always really great to find and play with to get off the beaten path. I always thought Gibson had a great diverse line, but I guess it will help elevate their expensive models to grail status for most new players and make the old dogs who got the cool experimental and surprisingly affordable ( http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... as-SG.aspx ) signature models feel special.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 am

I've decided lately that I'm only buying old guitars because the build quality was better anyway. I just got the '78 Yamaha SG 2000 and had it re-fretted for less than the price of a current les paul, let alone after a 29% increase. The guitar just slays any LP custom from today, and is on par with the classic ones.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:12 am

I have one Gibson guitar and it's a '97 SG, I wouldn't buy a new one even if they didn't increase the prices. That said, I agree it could have a rippling effect on the rest of the market.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:24 am

Hubaxe wrote:I already won't buy a new LP over 2000 $, I will certainly not over 3500 $.
At those price tag, how many of you will be more tempted by a 30 years old LP than a brand new one?
They've had the cheapest ones for around 2000 for a while, the cheapest Standards I mean. The Studios are cheaper, but without binding and other things. All this makes cheap Asian copies much more appealing.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:02 am

In 1996 I bought my LP Deluxe 79 around 600$.. Looks like I did a real bargain at the time, moreover it's an absolute player.
I also have a 2000 SG RI61, I paid at regular price.

rich724

Post by rich724 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:10 pm

For that price I bet you can have your local luthier hand build you one using 1960's specs.